Too bad retired MMA fighters tons of knowledge goes to the cemetery

yekmurat

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Can you imagine how much Hendo knows about the sport or Belfort,Sonnen,Ortiz,Liddell,GSP,Anderson,Wand etc etc...which of the newer guys does knows as much as them about fighting???A businessman gets better and better even though he is 60 or even older,but MMA is just a cruel sport you go out and shine a few years then go to dad mode...

I never viewed Hendo as a fountain of knowledge but rather a tough guy who can punch and take punishment.

Knowlegde is with Jones and GSP

Another fighter who has alot of knowlegde Daniel Cormier

Their knowledge being "Gone to the Cemetery" is a bit strong to say. GSP still trains people last I heard. I'm sure Anderson will as well. Sonnen shares his incite as a head ESPN commentator.

I don't know what the others are doing, but I'd assume they are passing their knowledge onto their kids if not still going to the gym & helping people while they get in their workouts.

Last edited:
First, I don't think anyone you mentioned is actually dead. And many probably still do train or coach or workout alongside guys who are actively fighting.

Second, how is this different from any other athlete, or for that matter, any other kind of profession? When I die, all of the lectures I've written will likely be lost to the winds.

Aren't most of those guy still fighting? Sonnen, Ortiz, Wand, and Liddell are still signed to Bellator I believe(Hopefully Chuck is done after that TIto fight). Anderson is signed to UFC and has a fight coming up against Cannonier. Many old men make great coaches because of the knowledge you are talking about. Angelo Dundee was a sloppy old man and he coached Ali and Marciano, two of the best boxers of all-time.

Hendo wud tells guys to look down straight at the floor literally blinding theirselves and throw an overhand

Being good at something doesn't mean that you'll be able to communicate how to do it well. You see this with a lot of people who are athletically inclined, they can just do things naturally and so have trouble breaking down how to do something for those of us that aren't athletically skilled.

Just because u are good at mma doesn't mean u would be a good coach. It means you were a good student, and its a big difference. None of theses guys are in the cemetery and most still teach in some fashion. Thread makes no sense. Ali or Tyson didn't go from the greatest to trainers either. It's just not the same. They have great exp in the cage, but it doesn't always translate. The fighters that succeed are doing so because they are great students with good fighter IQ. U can't train people to have great fighter IQ.

Too bad mma fighters don't hire sheerdog users as their trainers as everybody on sheerdog is more knowledgeable than any fighter or trainer in the UFC.

I never viewed Hendo as a fountain of knowledge but rather a tough guy who can punch and take punishment.

Knowlegde is with Jones and GSP
Are u serious you have doubt Hendo s fighting knowledge?

Even if these guys don't go into coaching, it's strange that you still see very few fighters who are willing to look at and learn from fights. Very few fighters use unorthodox techniques, including those which have proven to be effective in past fights. They mostly have that cookie-cutter mindset where they'll just go to the gym to get better at wrestle-boxing. The goal is to be a better wrestle-boxer than the other guy. MMA has stagnated like most of the TMAs.

Most fighters freeze up when someone throws something outside of the cookie-cutter template, like a front kick to the body or a side kick to the knee. Guys like McGregor, Jones, and Anderson Silva have exploited that. Some fighters, when faced with the opportunity to evolve as martial artists, instead call for "new" techniques like the oblique kick to be banned. They want to keep things strictly wrestle-boxing.

Most guys go to the gym just to improve their wrestle-boxing. They don't learn anything from fighters of the past or present. Knowledge which should have been gained from past fights has gone to that graveyard too.

Look how well Sakuraba was able to shut down the guard game. I know it's not as easy as just going in there and doing it, but how many guys do you see even try to replicate the techniques he used? I don't understand it. Very few of these guys are martial artists.

I remember reading a story on here a long while back about someone who said they met Anderson Silva. I think this was around his Cage Rage days. They said that they saw him in a shop scouring instructional DVDs/books from disciplines that you don't usually see in MMA. That's what Anderson is like and its a big reason why he has been so successful. He incorporates a lot of that stuff for mindgames and fun, but he does study it.

A lot of them have passed knowledge on to other guys, or partake in coaching/broadcasting. It’s similar to what happens in a lot of other sports. I think how the sports is evolving is pretty good evidence that while yes, great minds can’t be replicated, many of their techniques and strategies can be:

Back