Tony would be a huge draw if he comes back

Zabit 145 Goat

Who iz nyext?
Banned
Reaction score
Aside from the sherscience and sherlock investigators from this case in the last 24 hours or so, I want to talk about what kind of impact this could have on Tony's career if he came back from it.

I don't know the full context of his situation and how he's doing, but I just hope he returns to full health, fighting aside.

But from an MMA fan's perspective, I could see him become a huge draw if he returned after all of this. The intrigue would be there, ESPN would jump all over this, some people would sympethize with him....He'd be a marketing dream.

Thoughts?

I'm not even thinking about his career-- I'm just worried about the guys mental health. Once all is proven well with him I'll entertain talks about him fighting again.

Well, the problem Is that..the average person still has no Idea who he is

unfortunately, sherdog does not represent the bulk of MMA fans and dabblers.

I don't really see how mental illness issues and domestic violence issues would somehow make a fighter more marketable.

I'd 100% buy a card with him, I support him more than ever now.

He was in a good place after his last fight I hope he can get back to that headspace.

Dana you should stop fucking with him.

Eccentric guy, I'm cool with that.

Gotta respect his skills and willpower. But the dude has such a repelling personality.

Everything he says is just aplauding himself and SHITTING on everyone else. I kinda wanted Werdum to kick his arrogant ass that day. And I never forgot how he acted on TUF.

Now I see, there's more to the story, dude has legit issues. Hope he gets well instead of UFC marketing his mental downfall.

And he's still the guy to beat Khabib IMO
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm not even thinking about his career-- I'm just worried about the guys mental health. Once all is proven well with him I'll entertain talks about him fighting again.

No doubt this is the right attitude. And as you said he has to get well before fighting again, and I hope he does quickly and doesn't lose family and friends over the situation.

That said I very much look forward to him fighting again. He's such a talented fighter.
As for the marketing thing? I see your point but I don't really see Tony indulging in all of that. He seems like a pretty private dude who likes to keep it about fighting.

Nah. He's sherdog popular.

In the real world that like 30 k ppv buys.

Nah. He's sherdog popular.

In the real world that like 30 k ppv buys.
Tony would easily clear 300 headlining a ppv against a top 10 contender, being on the undercard in a better fight than Conor will have done wonders for his draw power.
Not to mention LW is by far the most closely watched division by casuals and vets alike. If they can do 175k on the dogshit card that was 234 they won't do less with an actually relevant fight with someone who probably should be in the top 10 p4p rankings.

I'd 100% buy a card with him, I support him more than ever now.

He was in a good place after his last fight I hope he can get back to that headspace.

Dana you should stop fucking with him.

Eccentric guy, I'm cool with that.
I disagree, no one know's if Tony was ever in a "good place mentally" before any fight.

I don't really see how mental illness issues and domestic violence issues would somehow make a fighter more marketable.
What domestic violence issue's? I seem to have missed that in the articles I've read about this situation.

No one is a draw besides Conor and Jones nowadays
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty confident Khabib and Nate would do pretty solid numbers.

Khabib vs Conor may have done such big numbers solely based on it being Conors long awaited return but I kind of doubt if and both Nate fights outselling Conor Alvarez in a fight where Conor was trying to become the first 2 division champ in the first UFC event in New York with a stacked undercard indicates to me that Nate is a pretty big draw in his own right.

Tony would easily clear 300 headlining a ppv against a top 10 contender, being on the undercard in a better fight than Conor will have done wonders for his draw power.
Not to mention LW is by far the most closely watched division by casuals and vets alike. If they can do 175k on the dogshit card that was 234 they won't do less with an actually relevant fight with someone who probably should be in the top 10 p4p rankings.

He headlined for interim against Lee, I think that's the source of his troubles.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty confident Khabib and Nate would do pretty solid numbers.

That's because Alvarez has never been a draw, and people don't really care about championship. Nate has never been proved either since his PPV bouts are only with Conor, so whether the numbers are helped by Nate or Conor alone is irrelevant. Casuals only cares about who's headlining. Conor was already a household name after the Aldo fight with 1.4 mil buys, and his first fight with Nate only upped just about 100k. I'm not buying it.

Khabib vs Conor may have done such big numbers solely based on it being Conors long awaited return but I kind of doubt if and both Nate fights outselling Conor Alvarez in a fight where Conor was trying to become the first 2 division champ in the first UFC event in New York with a stacked undercard indicates to me that Nate is a pretty big draw in his own right.
Nate Diaz doesn't fight anymore.

Back