Tony won't be fighting off his back

kevin lee was putting a beating on tony, till he gassed. khabib won't gas.

Something similar happened in the Abel Trujillo fight, and in the Vannata fight, and in the RDA fight, and in the Edson Barboza fight.

It's almost like Tony is a slow starter that drags his opponents to deep waters and drowns them.

I like how Khabib waited for Tony to get a few years older before fighting him...

Feels true. As I recall Khabib usually spends quite a lot of time pressing opponents up against the cage, and slowly breaking them down before they end up on their back in the guard.

But have you actually checked his old fights to confirm?

Not saying you haven't .. just that I myself find that I often misremember things.

I took a look at a fight at random, searched "Free fight Khabib" on youtube and the first one that showed up was the Barboza fight:

Taking a look at round 1, Barboza spends close to 3.5 minutes off his back. (sure, not all in guard - but still)

* at 4:03 on the fight clock Khaib attempts the first TD attempt. Ends up with 20 seconds of Barboza just locked up against the fence. But he eventually fends off Khabib.
* at 3:24 Khabib lands a TD after 5 seconds up against the fence. Barboza is basically fighting off his back for the rest of the round

PS: I'm not using that single round as a way to prove anything. It's just an example. Obviously Tony is a bit better than Barboza.

I think he means fighting out of a guard. Not just fighting to stand/escape.

I think you underestimate Tony's ability to create small scrambles in which dangerous strikes can be landed in close quarters. He'll land on Khabib. The question is if he can do it often enough to make a sizable impact on the outcome of the fight.

It should be a good fight from the first bell to the ending bell, regardless of who wins it. Most excited I've been for a fight in a long, long time.

Tell Ramsey Nijem that LOL.

But seriously, I really think Tony is gonna catch a Khabib shot with a knee or punch.

If you remember when Khabib dropped Conor, that came about specifically because Conor was flinching away from what he thought was a shot, but it was just Khabib ducking down for a big overhand right which caught Conor.

Tony isn't afraid of the takedown, he won't be overreacting to it.

Khabib's getting caught early, that's my opinion.

I mean nick diaz 1 punch KOd robbie lawler in the first round. Doesnt mean he isnt a volume striker.

Most of Khabib's opponents didn't get dominated by Danny Castillo

I’m confused by this one. Are you saying Danny Castillo dominated Ferg? Didn’t he lose via split decision? Even so, Ferg has the streak and the better overall resume over Castillo. MMA math is funny that way, that Castillo, who kinda sucks, can have a split decision with Ferg, who’s beaten way better fighters.

kevin lee was putting a beating on tony, till he gassed. khabib won't gas.

Understood, but it could have been an off night for Tony. Arguably, Lee’s cardio was probably sapped by the staph infection—so really I think that fight should be ran back. Overall however, Tonys winning streak has been pretty impressive. He’s definitely not as dominant as Khabib, of course. But I think he’s got the skill set fighting from the bottom and being extra durable and crazy enough that he’d have a good chance of having a very competitive fight with Khabib. Personally think he won’t win—but he’s got a better shot than most.

I'm predicting a mauling. I think Khabib ragdolls Tony and mounts him quickly. Tony is tough as fuck and dangerous everywhere, but he's gonna be physically outmatched.

One of the biggest things that are talked about with the Tony x Khabib matchup is this speculation of what will happen when Khabib puts Tony on his back and Tony starts working off guard with those nasty elbows.

I'm ready to completely dismiss that notion, right here right now...

Khabib doesn't keep guys on their back and stay in their guard for too long or very often. Tony will be dealing with wrist control, with his back on the cage, or with Khabib weighing down on his back, like every other Khabib opponent.

Discuss..

That's cause folk are using the fence to try and get back up. Or giving their back to get up. If Tony wants to get his back on the mat he will be able to, but everyone else doesn't want to they want to get back up hence trying to sit out or go to their base to get up.

Back