Tony wants his rematch with Justin Gaethje

Ferguson is a fun fighter, but Gaethje beats him 9/10 times. Ferguson just doesn't have the tools to deal with him.

Nurmagomedov also finishes him when he feels like it.

Still hard to believe he was that conclusively thumped.
SickPersonalDormouse-size_restricted.gif

Ah c’mon, Tony. That was a Sherdog worthy shitpost.
First of all, not even entirely sure what the fuck he is saying. Do people know they can reread and edit their tweets before hitting send? But, from what I can tell, he seems bitter and very much like a sore loser.
Not a good look from him and I’m actually surprised.

I still think Tony could beat Justin in a good night. However he should set himself up for a match against Poirier or even someone else, to get himself back in the title contetion. If Khabib wins against Justin, which i think will happen, Tony is still the next in line anyway, since Poirier already lost to Khabib.
Idk. Dustin may be a better boxer the Justin. And we know how the Justin fight went.

Honestly saying "he is too old, because noone did it before" is a pretty bad argument and empirical at best. Its definetly not impossible for a 36 year old to still become champ since Tony is only 1-2 fights away from achieving it anyway and Khabib wont be a fight even closely similar to Gaethje. Before Tony there was also not a single Lightweight in MMA riding a 12 fight win streak.
Also the argument "he gets hit a los" is absolute bs. He got a lot of punishment vs Justin, true. Other than that. Barely got any damage against Cowboy, hit once clean by Pettis, barely took any damage vs Lee even tho mounted etc. People watch these highlight vids and assume he takes a lot of damage which he actually doesnt. The only other somewhat recent fight i can think of is the Barboza fight.
Im not even saying that Tony isnt slowing down, because he is. But Justin also looked far from unbeatable in their fight tbh.

1. My age argument is actually quite good if you understand stats and sound reasoning. In fact, the oldest UFC champs at WW or lighter have been 33 (Matt Hughes for a couple of months and Cejudo). Considering the number of fighters and champs in those divisions over the years, that's significant. Look at all the fighters who peaked then looked past their primes around age 32: BJ, Aldo, Gil Melendez and many others. The heavier weight classes are different. The same has held true in boxing for many, many decades. A slight loss in reflexes is killer in the lighter weight classes.
  2. He's taken his share of punishment. You're not even brining up fights like Lando, MJ, RDA, etc. The Lee fight was also telling. If Lee could get a full mount on Tony in the 1st round and land GnP, what would Khabib do...considering he won't self-destruct halfway through the fight like Lee does.

I feel no particular way about Tony but it's always amusing seeing posters who are obviously biased against a particular fighter (some even openly acknowledging they don't like them) try to form arguments as if they have the ability to be objective. It's especially funny when they call out "fanboys" for their lack of objectivity. Blind leading the blind.

A rematch would be interesting, I think Tony could have beaten Justin if he made the right adjustments. Tony is a great fighter, but he needs to stop blocking punches with his face. Especially when he is fighting a power puncher like Justin Gaethje.

1. My age argument is actually quite good if you understand stats and sound reasoning. In fact, the oldest UFC champs at WW or lighter have been 33 (Matt Hughes for a couple of months and Cejudo). Considering the number of fighters and champs in those divisions over the years, that's significant. Look at all the fighters who peaked then looked past their primes around age 32: BJ, Aldo, Gil Melendez and many others. The heavier weight classes are different. The same has held true in boxing for many, many decades. A slight loss in reflexes is killer in the lighter weight classes.
  2. He's taken his share of punishment. You're not even brining up fights like Lando, MJ, RDA, etc. The Lee fight was also telling. If Lee could get a full mount on Tony in the 1st round and land GnP, what would Khabib do...considering he won't self-destruct halfway through the fight like Lee does.
You talking about boxing? You have any idea how old Hopkins was when he won world championships?
Thats what i ment with "empirical at best". You just assume that, because its has been like this in the lower weight classes (which dont even exist that long on a elite level), it will be like this forever and any human being is similar in terms of physical aging.

You bringing up the Lando and MJ which was 4 and 8 years ago.
If anything physical punishment is an argument against Justin. This guy propably has taken the most damage out of any fighter against Johnson, Alvarez and Dustin.

Tony will get a rematch somewhere down the road, it was to exciting a fight to not do it again, but it won't be anytime soon.
The man is a 36 1/2 year old lightweight lol. There is no “ down the road” for him.

It's gotta be either Dustin or Hooker next for Ferguson. Dustin if you want him to get the next TS with a win. Or Hooker if you want to adhere to the "matched against guy with a loss" logic and keep him "in the mix" but not guaranteed TS with a win.

I guess Oliviera is an outside chance too. But don't really see any value outside those matches considering the circumstances of the last few months (lopsided loss to Justin, Conor refusing to fight again, Dustin's win, etc)

Justin would finish him even quicker this time.

Tony is damaged goods at this point.

Reactions: mkt
Tony can’t deal with sitting at the kids table. Justin had the same amount of time to train for tony as tony had for Justin. Not Justin’s fault Tony’s skills are so easily mimicked.

Justin showed the huge gap between himself and tony. Tony would be lucky to survive Poirier. Needs to multiple wins after that one sided ass beating.

Tony deserves a rematch, he accepted Gaedje as a last minute replacement to Khabib. I think he had no more than about a week and a half to prepare for Gaedje.

Tony himself said for the good part of 6 months he had been doing nothing but preparing for Khabibs takedowns and being able to get escape and get back to his feet. He had prepared for a standup but his priority had been Khabibs ground game.

Tony gave an opportunity to Gaedje at the last minute. It is only fair Gaedje reciprocates the favour. Lets see how Gaedje does when Tony prepares properly for him.

What say you?

how much time did Gaethje have to prep for tony?

Back