Tony V Howard Stark & Theoretical Science V Applied science (comic &/or science geeks GTHIH)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by MikeMcMann, Apr 13, 2019 at 9:05 AM.

1. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

I got into a discussion with my brother over who was the more impressive scientist Tony or Howard Stark. And while I know its a question that is unanswerable where it took us was in fact the crux of our debate.

Is it more impressive with limited technology of your time to be able to theorize with high levels of accuracy what is possible and get it right generations after you are gone as technology advances ...or is it more impressive to be able to look around you at what exists today and be able to visualize and combine it in new and novel ways to create the things that were theorized prior.

Of course there would be cross over of guys who theorize and construct but to keep this debate simpler lets assume for this example that Tony (or another scientist) has no major future based theoretical GOAT level predictions that ever come true, but he has taken the theories of others (his dad) and built GOAT level inventions like the Arc Reactor and other things. And Howard has no GOAT level significant inventions he had realized in his time but has some very detailed GOAT level theoretical ones that, once the technology became available others were able to use as a road map to realize them.

This scene where Howard tells Tony "I am limited by the technology of my time..." is the crux of our debate and what kicked it off...

i took the position that the guy theorizing without the benefit of technology in his era to base it upon, was more impressive than the guy who could view a road map, look around the room at what was available and figure out how to pull it all together.

You?

2. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

Viewing the video above my brothers comment was that a great scientist like Tony would not be limited by the technology of his time. He would invent it or work around. He used the example of Scotty from Star Trek and Kirk saying "make it so", and Scotty always did... he found a way.

I said that may be possible in minimal cases but the work around generally involves using the technology of your time. Cobbling it together often based on prior theory.

I used the example of AI and how it was enabled and is being realized with the access to Big Data. The possibility and reality of Ai was known long before it was practical. If you lived pre internet, you just would not have the collection of the vast big Data, or the ability to pull together mass networked computing power. So an AI scientist today is not necessarily smarter than one a decade before the internet, because he can realize on it. It would be unfair to say the earlier scientist should have just worked around not having an internet. He should have found ways to connect to the world with Fiber Optic cable, etc if he was really that talented.

HunterAcosta and KnightTemplar like this.
  3. El_Dyablo619

El_Dyablo619 Head of C.I.A.

Dad was more important imo

4. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Ebony Belt Platinum Member

Tony himself summed it up in Iron Man 2,

"Dead for almost twenty years...and still taking me to school".

Howard by Arm Bar.

HunterAcosta and MikeMcMann like this.
  5. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

Nice.
    I should rewatch that movie. I hardly remember it.

KnightTemplar likes this.
  6. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Ebony Belt Platinum Member

It's not one of the better MCU movies, but it does have a few redeeming qualities. Including the first appearance of Black Widow{<tongue}And Micky Rourke's villain Whiplash gets a great line,

"If you can make God bleed, people will cease to believe in him":cool:

HunterAcosta likes this.