Tony Ferguson waiting for his title shot like..

Tony, the type of guy to turn down a title shot and offer to be the injury replacement.

giphy.gif

I thought that was the plan from the beginning. Also thought the MW strap would be the harder one to get.

Once George promptly vacated the title and shed the muscles I was positive his next fight was Khabeeb.

Then he retired and withdrew from USADA so now I'm not as certain. I would not be surprised though.

Multiple times he said he could make 155 for a one off type of fight.

The amount of $ they would spend promoting this fight for an almost 40 year old trying to make a weight he's never made...sigh

The amount of $ they would spend promoting this fight for an almost 40 year old trying to make a weight he's never made...sigh
I don't think it was risky advertising dollars that made the deal go bad. I think Dana and GSP had a "Gentleman's" agreement. Then one of them reneged on their end of the deal or circumstances just didn't work out.

GSP vacated the MW strap well over a year before he officially retired. His intent was clearly not to stay at MW. Vacating was the honorable thing to do. Since he had not withdrawn from Usada or announced his retirement; he was obviously still looking for a fight. I think he would have fought either Khabib or Conor originally, after those 2 fought only Khabib made sense.

Khabib put himself in time out at the end of his last fight. Once there wasn't a legacy defining super fight left to offer, GSP retired.

I don't think it was risky advertising dollars that made the deal go bad. I think Dana and GSP had a "Gentleman's" agreement. Then one of them reneged on their end of the deal or circumstances just didn't work out.

GSP vacated the MW strap well over a year before he officially retired. His intent was clearly not to stay at MW. Vacating was the honorable thing to do. Since he had not withdrawn from Usada or announced his retirement; he was obviously still looking for a fight. I think he would have fought either Khabib or Conor originally, after those 2 fought only Khabib made sense.

Khabib put himself in time out at the end of his last fight. Once there wasn't a legacy defining super fight left to offer, GSP retired.

Sorry- my comment wasn't about what happened. I was more talking about what still could happen. I'm saying that for a star like GSP, it's awfully risky putting the LW belt in play and dumping in all the $ that would be required to properly promote him coming back (again) because he's never made 155 and it gets harder and not easier to cut weight as you age. Not saying he couldn't make 155 but there's risk because it would be a magafight that hangs in the balance.

Tony Ferguson is the type of guy to shit while squatting over the toilet bowl in his home, just in case he ever has to shit outside

Tony could have fought Poirier chose not to

Back