Tony Ferguson vs Prime BJ Penn

Tony by being the superior fighter everywhere.
BJ might be the most overrated fighter of all time, he ruled a 6 fighters division and was given countless TS and his best win was a fluke.
Frankie Edgar kicked his ass 3 times

View attachment 545217
Actually, BJ was the clear winner on about 80% of the media scorecards and majority of people thought It was a robbery.

He won the first 3 rounds when he was fresh. Edgar won the 4th and 5th by superior Cardio, not skill.

This was the first fight since BJ left marinovich as well. So, presumably that wasn't the best version of Penn.

The 2nd and 3rd are hard to mention since they Involve such a strange version of Penn that It's Impossible to form any relation with the best version of him.

BJ unfortunately Is a strange fighter In the sense that he had a big consistency Issue and many of his fights paint a skewed picture of how good he actually was. Not to mention he spent much of his career at Welterweight when by all accounts, he's an average sized featherweight by todays standards.

BJ had the superior boxing ability, power, takedowns, takedown defence, chin, even jiu jitsu.

Where Tony would be a threat Is his size, length, pressure, cardio. Variation of tools although boxing seems to be exclusively what he relies on these days and It's quite sloppy, In all honesty. It'd be an interesting style matchup, one where although I think the clear skill edge goes to BJ..Tony has certain attributes that could give him trouble. Not unlike the Nick Diaz fight, though Tony has nowhere near the same boxing prowess.

All in all, BJ is probably more underrated at this point than anything..marred by his poor consistency and abysmal later career. His absolute best was fleeting, but when It was there..he was undoubtedly a rare talent.

And there isnt a single martial artist or fighter who would tell you otherwise. He inspired an entire generation.

He's not? Because he clearly is a way better striker than Bj Penn. He has great boxing with a great jab, great inside leg kicks, great front snap kick, amazing and devastating elbows(he throws them very naturally like he's throwing hooks), and can fight equally in both stances and constantly switching stances, good at cutting his opponents off and trap them against the cage, constant pressure, endless cardio, and high output.

Lol at "evolution myth". Even your favorite fighter anderson silva support mma evolution, like every others mma fans that are not blinded by nostalgia.
I don't think you really know much about boxing if you're Impressed by what Tony does In there. He does things well but he's very sloppy. I like Tony and I understand that may have not been his best but his last fight was anything but Impressive from a technical standpoint. I do like his elbows and some of his kicks though..but his boxing Is not anything to write home about.

I like his pressure, warrior spirit, cardio, etc. I think that's what wins him fights more than anything.

Last edited:
He was robbed in the first fight, so that is highly debatable.

Also, the vast majority of fighters are inferior to Frankie Edgar, Tony Ferguson included. Ferguson got lit up by Lando Vannata.
yup, that was after Marinovich just left his camp too. So, It wasn't really the best BJ..though that is the story of his career.

Skill wise, for me It's Impossible to argue that Edgar is the superior fighter.

I think he just arrived at the appropriate time

Prime PJ is inferior to Frankie Edgar
Lol, is Frankie Edgar considered a bum now?
How do you see the Frankie that controversially beat BJ in there first fight and clearly won there second fight fairs against Tony? I have no problem seeing Frankie taking that fight.

I don't think you really know much about boxing if you're Impressed by what Tony does In there. He does things well but he's very sloppy. I like Tony and I understand that may have not been his best but his last fight was anything but Impressive from a technical standpoint. I do like his elbows and some of his kicks though..but his boxing Is not anything to write home about.
How's his boxing sloppy? He has great jab, great straight right and a very good lead uppercut. The only thing that's sloppy about his "Boxing" is that he sometimes keep his chin way up in the air

Last edited:
I think Penn would likely box Fergerson up early on, Tony's defence isn't great there. Its more a question of does he put him away or beat him down enough ala Deigo so his cardio weakness isn't tested?

yup, that was after Marinovich just left his camp too. So, It wasn't really the best BJ..though that is the story of his career.

Skill wise, for me It's Impossible to argue that Edgar is the superior fighter.

I think he just arrived at the appropriate time
Frankie wasn't even close to his prime when he fought bj penn, not even in the second fight where he destroyed penn. Frankie was at his prime when he fought aldo the second time.

He's not? Because he clearly is a way better striker than Bj Penn. He has great boxing with a great jab, great inside leg kicks, great front snap kick, amazing and devastating elbows(he throws them very naturally like he's throwing hooks), and can fight equally in both stances and constantly switching stances, good at cutting his opponents off and trap them against the cage, constant pressure, endless cardio, and high output.

Lol at "evolution myth". Even your favorite fighter anderson silva support mma evolution, like every others mma fans that are not blinded by nostalgia.
Lol, really? I'm a big fan of Tony but he is a Keith Jardineesque herky jerky striker who throws from weird angles.

I would give him the edge in the kicking department but he certainly doesn't have great Boxing or he would get dropped every fight and prime BJ had arguably the best jab in the sport prior to GSP going to Freddy Roach to learn how to counter it. BJ is a much better Boxer than Tony and in his prime was unfazed by low kicks and had an iron chin.

Everybody keeps bringing up Edgar but that was 10 years into a career spanning from LW to LHW against almost nothing but top level competition and shortly after the worst beating of his career against GSP, that BJ had a lot of miles on him.

Lol, really? I'm a big fan of Tony but he is a Keith Jardineesque herky jerky striker who throws from weird angles.

I would give him the edge in the kicking department but he certainly doesn't have great Boxing or he would get dropped every fight and prime BJ had arguably the best jab in the sport prior to GSP going to Freddy Roach to learn how to counter it. BJ is a much better Boxer than Tony and in his prime was unfazed by low kicks and had an iron chin.

Everybody keeps bringing up Edgar but that was 10 years into a career spanning from LW to LHW against almost nothing but top level competition and shortly after the worst beating of his career against GSP, that BJ had a lot of miles on him.
Half the shit you said is not even remotely close to the truth.
Bj penn doesn't have a great jab, he has a good jab but not great. And he's not going to jab the superior jabber ferguson while on a massive reach disadvantage.
"in his prime he was unfazed by low kicks" thats not true at all, go watch his fight against edgar.
"Everybody keeps bringing up Edgar"
The reason why everybody keeps bringing Frankie edgar is because bj penn got destroyed by him two times and it exposed some of his weaknesses. It's not that hard to understand
Bj penn striking was and is way too one dimensional, ferg would wipe the floor with his face. That's the truth and it's indisputable

Bj penn doesn't have a great jab, he has a good jab but not great. And he's not going to jab the superior jabber ferguson while on a massive reach disadvantage.
"in his prime he was unfazed by low kicks" thats not true at all, go watch his fight against edgar.
The reason why everybody keeps bringing Frankie edgar is because bj penn got destroyed by him two times and it exposed some of his weaknesses. It's not that hard to understand
Bj penn striking was and is way too one dimensional, ferg would wipe the floor with his face. That's the truth and it's indisputable
Lol, I like how you claim bs opinions as truth and ignore the fact that Frankie was 10 years into a brutal career.

Tony is in no way the superior jabber or boxer to Penn but it's pretty obvious it would be just as productive talking to my wall as it will be talking to you who I doubt even saw BJ fight in his prime so I'm just going to go ahead and do that instead.
Cheers

Ferguson gets rocked when his corner man slaps him in the face between rounds. The guy is literally always getting wobbled.

BJ would’ve put him on his ass. And then actually finished the fight too.

Or BJ wins the first two rounds and then gets beat up for the rest of the fight.

BJ has a much better jab than Ferguson.

Khabib stomps Ferguson.

BJ stomps Khabib.

so this means

BJ <<<< Khabib <<<< Ferguson.

BJ got this!

Ferguson gets rocked when his corner man slaps him in the face between rounds. The guy is literally always getting wobbled.

BJ would’ve put him on his ass. And then actually finished the fight too.

Or BJ wins the first two rounds and then gets beat up for the rest of the fight.

That is definitely something to consider, Fergerson is used to dropping to open guard and hanging on when hurt but against BJ that's a very dangerous thing to do.

Tony by being the superior fighter everywhere.
BJ might be the most overrated fighter of all time, he ruled a 6 fighters division and was given countless TS and his best win was a fluke.
Frankie Edgar kicked his ass 3 times

View attachment 545217

BJ vs Also is the fight I wanted to see

Ferguson outworks Penn and wins by 48-47 decision or finishes him late.

Tony is better than everyone Penn beat during his LW run.

Prime Tony would Kill prime Penn over 5. KO would be Penn's only path to victory. He wouldn't just lose he would be badly injured. Dumb thread and I love Prime Penn.

Anyone who didn't pick Tony... you're dumb... af.

Prime BJ boxes Ferguson's head off in a 3 rounder.

In a 5 rounder Ferguson might break BJ Rocky vs Apollo round 14 style.

Terd Ferguson gets dropped and choked out via RNC

Back