Tony Ferguson refusing to tap is stupidity not toughness

When Tony turns 50+ nobody will remember what a tough SOB he was back in a hay days. But his dumb-ass injuries that were cause by his pride will say "hello" to him every day of his life. I agree with you TS.
Exactly, I just heard Josh Thompson talk about that

He said all of those old injuries really catch up to you once you get into your 40's

Everyone knows Tony is tough regardless, I'd suggest tapping

Its both, its definitely toughness but its also stupid, they aren't mutually exclusive. Smart fighters can calculate whether a fight is salvable or not and if its not then quit and avoid damage. A good example is Conor against Khabib, Conor toughed it out from a bad position in round 2 as the fight was still winnable at that stage but after the takedown in round 4 there was no longer a path to victory and Conor craftily called it a day and avoided taking much damage, that's what smart fighters do.

Nothing tough about getting your joints snapped on live television. I will never understand the fighters that prefer to have career altering injuries instead of tapping to a submission. It’s short sighted and stupid. You’re a professional fighter, we know you’re tough. Getting your ligaments stretched and ripped out doesn’t make you any tougher and doesn’t make you lose less. It just gets you injured and reduces your chances of being successful in this sport.
I’m a huge Ferguson fan, but Khabib said it best, he’s a stupid guy.
Meh both. When Franklin fought Chuck his arm was snapped in half. He could have called it but he toughed it out and got a KO. Not the same really but Tony probably believed he could still win even if he let his leg get torn. That's pretty tough but at his age now he's out for a while most likely which isn't great if he doesn't (which he doesn't) plan on hanging them up.

Back up here..

The reason why they don’t tap is because some guys need that win bonus. Would you gamble $100,000 on breaking your arm vs tapping? THIS is the mindset the fighters have. Pretty fucking crazy, isn’t it??

I tap like a bitch when I know I'm fucked! :)

I also DON'T make a hundred thousand + in one day based on 25 minutes of work (after more training than 99% of humans actually do) and have a job that requires usage of all my limbs lol. I can see why a fighter won't tap because as long as they think they have a chance, they will lay it all out. I mean we've seen it before where someone injured gets the W and large bonus. Franklin KO'd Chuck with an arm he knew was broken, so it's never impossible.

If they mentally can get through the pain, and think they have a path to victory, it makes sense. To average 40/week folk, fuck that -- I can't be out of work for months on end. It's literally toughness + stupidity + money + adrenaline + belief + training for that one moment where you have no time to question yourself. Meanwhile, I'm on my 1/2 hour break wondering if my girl will gimme some head after work. Not exactly having to make pressure decisions in the moment.
Your girl still gives head? How long you been dating 3 months?

I wouldn't say stupid. More like foolish.

But also tough.

Stubbornness in the face of adversity = toughness.

I think thats just splitting hairs. Tony is an idiot for not tapping. He destroyed his knee for his pride. Dumb move. He fight like "stupid guy" lol

Your girl still gives head? How long you been dating 3 months?
Hah! 4 years + as of Feb. I'm just blessed.

As far as the actual subject, one other comment : I've gone to sleep a few times not knowing how BAD a choke was (meaning I thought I had my path out), but if I feel like something will pop/snap/break, no thanks. Fortunately when I was rolling and sparring in those days, my trainers and partners were the kind of nice MN people to ask "OH Jeez, you ok there?" -- Nothing interrupts yer ground game like the politeness of that Minnesota accent ;)

If you tap out your officially soft as baby food

You expected something smart from Tony Ferguson? Lolz

I tap like a bitch when I know I'm fucked! :)

I also DON'T make a hundred thousand + in one day based on 25 minutes of work (after more training than 99% of humans actually do) and have a job that requires usage of all my limbs lol. I can see why a fighter won't tap because as long as they think they have a chance, they will lay it all out. I mean we've seen it before where someone injured gets the W and large bonus. Franklin KO'd Chuck with an arm he knew was broken, so it's never impossible.

If they mentally can get through the pain, and think they have a path to victory, it makes sense. To average 40/week folk, fuck that -- I can't be out of work for months on end. It's literally toughness + stupidity + money + adrenaline + belief + training for that one moment where you have no time to question yourself. Meanwhile, I'm on my 1/2 hour break wondering if my girl will gimme some head after work. Not exactly having to make pressure decisions in the moment.
Put this thread on Watch to see if you get head.

Not sure the details of Tony's contract, but I can imagine how hard it would be to give up for win bonus, even if not tapping is illogical in hindsight.

I could be wrong (feel free to give me example if I am), but I feel like we'd see a lot more corner stoppages and taps (even to strikes) if the contracts were negotiated without win bonus. Seems like only high profile fighters get that, and by then they have something more on the line than a win bonus.

People will actually respect him more for not taping. Your not a Ferguson fan gtfo.

Will respect him more in the short term. In the long term his damaged body will make him lose even more fights and eventually everybody will forget about him.

GSP tapped to strikes to Matt Serra, and I am absolutely sure that all simps here were calling him a bitch and laughed at him.
GSP himself said that he tapped to avoid more damage and make a faster comeback. See what happened next.

Now no one laughs at GSP anymore and he is one of the most respected fighters ever.

Tony will be remembered as a stupid guy with a weird fighting style, then everybody will forget about him.

I always thought it was based in fear on being worried about what other people think of you. He's just afraid people will think he's a quitter. Because, having your pride hurt stings a lot worse than body injuries.

Back