Tony Ferguson refusing to tap is stupidity not toughness

It's both, but I agree it's stupid

Now you have a loss, AND a destroyed knee

I like the Conor approach of just quitting the second you realize you'll probably lose and not taking too much damage
The thing is though, because he didn't tap he still had a chance to win. In the heat of the moment you can't calculate the percentages......I probably only have a 5% chance of winning, so I may as well tap....all that's going through your mind is where there's life there's hope, and if you tap that's it, that's the end.

Yeah. Professional prizefighters should quit instead of fight through it.

if he listened to you he could have quit instead of fighting until the end.

why try in anything if it’s hard or you’re losing or behind. Just take your ball and go home.

men like him should be applauded. And that’s what the crowd did.

Definitely toughness and in a way smart. Dana can run with how "tough" Tony Ferguson is along with his fellow red goof Rogan and continue to make names of the corpse of El Cucuy for years . All the while he gets paid instead of moving to the B leagues of course .
Tony is the toughest mma fighter ever.
The hardest hitter in lw division history could not finish him and 2 of the best bjj guys couldn't either.
Amazing.

Would you say the same about Jones not tapping to Vitor? It's not like tony knew he would lose either way.

In hindsight it's easy to say it was stupid because he got beat soundly regardless but that was a fight Tony really needed to win and tapping out would have guaranteed him another loss. Again, obviously hindsight is 20/20 but had he somehow managed to knock Dariush out after that he would have looked like a genius.

Tony is the toughest mma fighter ever.
The hardest hitter in lw division history could not finish him and 2 of the best bjj guys couldn't either.
Amazing.

Exactly..Oliveras title run and darisuh moving up in rankings will show how good Ferguson is..
Olivera went to decision with Ferguson , yet he ktfo Chandler within 2

It's foolish in the long run, considering he had almost no hope of winning at that point. But in the moment it absolutely was top level resolve and toughness. Was one thing when rich franklin accepted ankle damage against Ken Shamrock not tapping to his heel hook(Rich said he had problems with that ankle for many years after) given he was still very in that fight, and ended up winning shortly after via tko. But Tony was getting soundly outclassed, had next to no success with anything. Was VERY unlikely he'd pull off a win even after powering through the sub.

Why would he tap if it ain't fully locked.

Source on joints snapping?

Nothing tough about getting your joints snapped on live television. I will never understand the fighters that prefer to have career altering injuries instead of tapping to a submission. It’s short sighted and stupid. You’re a professional fighter, we know you’re tough. Getting your ligaments stretched and ripped out doesn’t make you any tougher and doesn’t make you lose less. It just gets you injured and reduces your chances of being successful in this sport.
I’m a huge Ferguson fan, but Khabib said it best, he’s a stupid guy.
Maybe its just a mindset that we can't understand. Maybe maintaining some perceived integrity of the warrior spirit is more important to him than his MMA career.

I'm surprised there's yet to be any word on his condition, or at least, I haven't been able to find anything.

Being a little delusional can be beneficial as a fighter. Tony scores high on the delusion scale. So, in his mind, he probably thought there was some way he could come back in round 3 and win the fight (which from the outside seems impossible), so tapping would be giving up on his chances. Not tapping to those subs does make him incredibly physically/mentally tough though, but at the same time it's a bit delusional.

Jacare did something like that when he refused to tap to Roger Gracie, who broke his arm, but by not tapping Jacare was still able to win on points:

In Tony's mind he probably had some chance of scoring a finish in some way later in the fight and win like Jacare did.

Maybe I'm just weak, but I'd rather be Roger in that match

If you break the dudes arm, you win, idgaf about points or who technically won past that lol

Nothing tough about getting your joints snapped on live television. I will never understand the fighters that prefer to have career altering injuries instead of tapping to a submission. It’s short sighted and stupid. You’re a professional fighter, we know you’re tough. Getting your ligaments stretched and ripped out doesn’t make you any tougher and doesn’t make you lose less. It just gets you injured and reduces your chances of being successful in this sport.
I’m a huge Ferguson fan, but Khabib said it best, he’s a stupid guy.
When Tony turns 50+ nobody will remember what a tough SOB he was back in a hay days. But his dumb-ass injuries that were cause by his pride will say "hello" to him every day of his life. I agree with you TS.

Would you say the same about Jones not tapping to Vitor? It's not like tony knew he would lose either way.
Kinda different considering Jones won every second of that fight outside of the armbar

Tony was getting thoroughly dominated against Dariush

Back