Tony Ferguson could not have gotten worse news .. Who is he fighting next?

If Conor wins the belt, Tony will never get a title shot again

Conor will obviously fight the winner of Nate/Poirier and then push for a Holloway rematch

If Khabib wins then he will probably take a long break and only fight post 2019 Ramadan

Either way Tony is very far from a title shot

I reckon Conor will sail off into the sunset no matter what outcome until he wants another payday, and that's not intended to be a criticism

That is kinda fucked up...

He went from title shot to obscurity...

Hope they have something good in store for Tony. I’d like to see him back in action soon!

Still probably out for a while. That knee injury is nasty business..

Who cares. Tony is old news.

Poirier if Nate pulls out, or Pettis in Milwaukee on FOX in December.

Kevin Lee rematch, or Dustin Poirier if Nate's not just having a fit. Healthy Kevin Lee wipes the floor with Ferguson, most likely.
Lee has to make 155, its part of the job, its tough for both of them.

Tony is the superior fighter, Kevin has to knock him out to win.

Conor will obviously fight the winner of Nate/Poirier and then push for a Holloway rematch

If Khabib wins then he will probably take a long break and only fight post 2019 Ramadan

I don't know why you think Khabib takes a long break and fight post Ramadan. I think Khabib wins in Oct, and then takes one fight before Ramadan. That fight should be either Poirier (who I think beats Nate), or Tony.

Khabib should leap at fighting Tony first fight out of surgery for him. I know he's been saying he needs to earn it with a win, but fighting a rusty Tony gives him a better chnce to win. And Tony isn't savvy enough to think he needs a tune-up.

There’s also no chance in hell that he’ll be as good as he was before tearing his knee apart. Even with the best drugs money can buy, the human body doesn’t work that way with ligaments.

I really have no idea. Have him ready to weigh in as a replacement. You don't need to worry about Conor's side but we know khabib's history

first off tony hasn't said how he recovery is goiog and when he could be looking to be ready to return.

second with nate already mad at the ufc again I bet there a chance nate gets pulled from ufc 230.

Fucking Khabib and his Ramadan. I hate society bending to religious or cultural observations. You are free to observe whatever you want, but that should come with consequences. The UFC should just strip champions that can't fight because of Ramadan. You choose your job or your beliefs. This is the real world.

But rants aside, you are spot on. Tony Ferguson was basically just told today he's at least a year away from a title shot, possibly more. He could clean out the LW division in the next 10 months and it won't make a difference.

I don't know why you think Khabib takes a long break and fight post Ramadan. I think Khabib wins in Oct, and then takes one fight before Ramadan. That fight should be either Diaz (who I think Poirier), or Tony.

Khabib should leap at fighting Tony first fight out of surgery for him. I know he's been saying he needs to earn it with a win, but fighting a rusty Tony gives him a better chnce to win. And Tony isn't savvy enough to think he needs a tune-up.
N
Nate won't want to gith Khabib (guaranteed loss), but (coming off a big Poirier win) will get a great trilogy fight with Conor in the Spring.

I really have no idea. Have him ready to weigh in as a replacement. You don't need to worry about Conor's side but we know khabib's history

I agree. This is also why Poirier/Diaz should be co-main events on the UFC 229 card. If Khabib pulls out, you can make Conor vs Diaz, and then find a replacement fighter for Poirier.

A few options out there... What I'd like to see, in order :

1) Gaethje/Vick winner
2) Aldo
3) Dan Hooker / Alex Hernandez
4) Iaquinta
5) Eddie Alvarez (I'd rather see him vs Kevin Lee though)

Fucking Khabib and his Ramadan. I hate society bending to religious or cultural observations. You are free to observe whatever you want, but that should come with consequences. The UFC should just strip champions that can't fight because of Ramadan. You choose your job or your beliefs. This is the real world.

But rants aside, you are spot on. Tony Ferguson was basically just told today he's at least a year away from a title shot, possibly more. He could clean out the LW division in the next 10 months and it won't make a difference.
Ramadan is 30 days.. If it was like 6 months every year, sure, but it's 30 days. Fighters don't fight every 30 days.

I agree. This is also why Poirier/Diaz should be co-main events on the UFC 229 card. If Khabib pulls out, you can make Conor vs Diaz, and then find a replacement fighter for Poirier.

Yeah, I don't think it makes much sense to not have those two fights on the same card

The loser of Iaquinta/Lee for the SuperInterim championship.

Winner gets the Hey Bud, Thanks for Stopping By Interim Championship belt. No losers in the UFC where everyone's a champion!

I don't see how Dana justifies keeping Tony out of a title fight after Conor vs Khabib. Perhaps Poirier vs Conor 2 isn't as marketable as Tony vs Conor. Poirier vs Khabib is interesting if both win but Tony vs Khabib is still the better more marketable fight. It's not like they were intentionally sabotaging the fight.

Tony is 1 fight from the title at most, if it's more than that it's because he doesn't want to wait so he takes another fight to stay active. I don't care what Dana says, he lies and changes his story every week and sometimes more often than that.

This fight is in October. Last post-October Khabib fought two times before Ramadan. Ironically if he doesn't get injured he's looking like one of the most active Champs in the UFC.

Back