Tony BJJ any better than Dustin’s?

moosaev

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Was watching an old interview and he said he started training BJJ in 2012 when he walked into 10th planet after breaking his arm in the Michael Johnson fight. I almost spit the coffee out my mouth! The way people talk about him I figured he’s been doing BJJ for 10-15 yrs! I believe Dustin has more yrs of BJJ than him, as a reference. I just keep getting more and more skeptical about Tony’s chances of getting a sub against Khabib. If Tony beats him I firmly believe it’ll have to be via clipping him on the chin with standup. I highly highly doubt he can darce or elbow khabib to death, I think those are looking increasingly unlikely.

Also, how The hell does he get a black belt in 7 yrs? You literally have to roll 6 days a week to get it that fast.

No way, bro.
He had two subs well before that - a von flue in 2008 and a triangle in 2009.
They aren't wrestling centric, low skill subs like a kimura, RNC or neck crank.

So I say he training BJJ or sub grappling prior to the MJ fight

Also, how The hell does he get a black belt in 7 yrs? You literally have to roll 6 days a week to get it that fast.

BJ Penn got his black belt and won the Mundials in three years. People don't progress and learn at the same rate, Tony's BJJ is a good notch better than Dustin's. Not saying it would be enough to beat Khabib, but that fight is going to be crazy.

Dont know about BJJ but he will give a lot of damage to Khabib when the fight goes to ground

His long limbs make his body way more efficient for BJJ than Dustins.

Tony has a variety of chokes that makes him dangerous against Khabib.

If Khabib can take him down and avoid the chokes I don't see Tony giving him problems on his back. Tony also can make it ugly on the feet, his volume/pace is something Khabib has never seen before.

Tony has more sub wins than Dustin, and funny enough the same amount of KOs.

Imo, Tony is the man to watch for bjj guys who wanna make the transition to mma

Last edited:
Tony beats the piss outta guys that are holding him down . khabib better keep moving. . than the question is can he keep going with ferguson . i really beleive his dad when his dad said khabib should stand with ferguson. Not saying he shouldnt wrestle but the relentless pressure might be his undoing . i dont think ferguson will put much effort into stopping takedowns. Just focus on making khabib work. Like in the poirier fight there were times that dustin was trying hard to not go down when it was inevitable in the situation. Its a crazy fight i cant wait#!

Was watching an old interview and he said he started training BJJ in 2012 when he walked into 10th planet after breaking his arm in the Michael Johnson fight. I almost spit the coffee out my mouth! The way people talk about him I figured he’s been doing BJJ for 10-15 yrs! I believe Dustin has more yrs of BJJ than him, as a reference. I just keep getting more and more skeptical about Tony’s chances of getting a sub against Khabib. If Tony beats him I firmly believe it’ll have to be via clipping him on the chin with standup. I highly highly doubt he can darce or elbow khabib to death, I think those are looking increasingly unlikely.

Time isn't equal for everyone., some people catch on quicker

That being said, Khabib will obliterate Tony on the ground

Tony beats the piss outta guys that are holding him down . khabib better keep moving. . than the question is can he keep going with ferguson . i really beleive his dad when his dad said khabib should stand with ferguson. Not saying he shouldnt wrestle but the relentless pressure might be his undoing . i dont think ferguson will put much effort into stopping takedowns. Just focus on making khabib work. Like in the poirier fight there were times that dustin was trying hard to not go down when it was inevitable in the situation. Its a crazy fight i cant wait#!

He beats the piss out of guys when he has the freedom to move around

Khabib will put him in a straitjacket

I'm not sure who would win in a bjj match, but Tony's MMA grappling (including strikes off his back) seems more dangerous than DP's. Dustin is a stud on the mat though no doubt.

It takes about 8-10 year for the average guy who trains 3 days per week to get a BB. 7 years for a professional fighter is totally reasonable especially when you factor in the previous mat time from MMA training as well as the nearly 20 years of wrestling he had up to that point. Guys that are decent wrestlers who transition to BJJ make super fast progress. They've already got the spacial awareness, they know how to control another person's weight/body, and they've got incredible balance/strength which gives them a fantastic base to learn submissions, sweeps, escapes, and passes.

He beats the piss out of guys when he has the freedom to move around

Khabib will put him in a straitjacket

Not only that, but Tony does work from guard. Khabib typically doesn't just sit in someone's guard. He stacks, passes, grapevines/traps legs, and generally looks to be in a better position than just guard.

Not only that, but Tony does work from guard. Khabib typically doesn't just sit in someone's guard. He stacks, passes, grapevines/traps legs, and generally looks to be in a better position than just guard.
He gets a lot of those positions by trapping his opponents while they are trying to get back up, according to Edgy Breh Tony is gonna accept the ground which if successful would change Khabib's game a lot, I'm sure Khabib will be prepared for that but we still need to see if it would work or not.

This fight needs to happen ASAP.

No way, bro.
He had two subs well before that - a von flue in 2008 and a triangle in 2009.
They aren't wrestling centric, low skill subs like a kimura, RNC or neck crank.

So I say he training BJJ or sub grappling prior to the MJ fight

RNCs are incredibly hard to pull off against trained opponents if you don’t study up on the details.

Tony is so creative and crafty on the ground, and his subs are like death, anyone notice when Tony locks up a choke the guys tap super fast, like 1 second and they tap, they never try to fight it and it never takes them a few seconds to tap, they tap mega fast, it makes me think Tony must have an insane squeeze

IMO Tony is one of the most dangerous from the bottom because he never sits there waiting for a stand-up. He's always throwing out offense

Tony has the best BJJ in the LW division by far.
Y'all don't know bout Tenth planet it seems.

Back