Tony’s loss to Gaethje

Thats because justin wasnt there for tony to fight like he usually does, he moved around got off the center line etc.
He fought a perfect fight
except for that one uppercut from his grandmother's house, he really did fight a perfect fight.

I think it's just a bad matchup for him

Tony literally YOLO'd this fight. It was a very self-destructive gameplan. I would still like to see him fight Kahbib with a healthy 8 week camp

6 months ago i’d agree with you in that I wouldve thought it would’ve been a good fight. But with Tonys last showing as poor as it was and khabibs last as good as it was-i think tony would look horrible. In his defense im sure that meaningless weight cut took its toll. I honestly dont know if anyones beating khabib at lw. At ww yeah but not lw. He walked justin down with no respext for his striking, and he completely annihilated a strong wrestler on the ground. Got him down there with ease

Tony was ate alive, nothing to do with weight cuts

If he was winning until the last round or 2, then it might be a point

But Tony decided himself to cut weight twice, so it means fuck all

Justin beat the fucking shit out of the overrated Tony and that's the truth

How much of it was caused by the 2 weight cuts and fighting a short notice opponent with a different style than what he trained for. We know he was training for a wrestler and TDD. I know Tony’s a little past his prime but he probably would still beat Gaethje in a rematch, he took Gaethjes hardest shots until he got blinded by that nose shot, he would have recovered anyway.

He would have finished him if the round didn’t end.
a66bd094eb365f7d5a85ebf992011bbd776a4383.gif

dude Tony got completely destroyed and outclassed, one knockdown is not gonna change it

How much of it was caused by the 2 weight cuts and fighting a short notice opponent with a different style than what he trained for. We know he was training for a wrestler and TDD. I know Tony’s a little past his prime but he probably would still beat Gaethje in a rematch, he took Gaethjes hardest shots until he got blinded by that nose shot, he would have recovered anyway.

If you’re gonna keep making excuses for Tony, then what’s the point of making this thread? If you want to believe that Tony was winning until he lost, that’s your prerogative, but it does change the fact that Justin made Tony look like an amateur. Tony chose to cut weight twice, Tony chose that shitty game plan and Tony chose his shitty corner. Deal with it.

<CanYouSeeMeNow>

Hopefully he can learn from it.

Tony is a good fighter with alot of heart but in reality his 12 fight win streak was padded to the maximum.

Never fought a top 3 ranked guy other than an RDA coming off a KO loss and never fought anyone with decent boxing during that streak until he got exposed by Justin who took the fight on short notice.

Sherdoggers put too much into training camps. Tony had nothing for Gaethje, I wish he did too but he really didn’t. Landed 1 good shot other than that he ain’t did shit.
If you ever competed in any sport you know how much you peak close to a competition and is in way worse shape 1 week later.

Regardless, I agree that tony had never for gaethje besides some crazy sub or strike he could have pulled.

I don’t know but with a sustained beating like that. At 37 with all the prior wars that generally doesn’t bode well for fighters.

Tony was shaking his head like the music videos of tools undertow album.

If you ever competed in any sport you know how much you peak close to a competition and is in way worse shape 1 week later.

Regardless, I agree that tony had never for gaethje besides some crazy sub or strike he could have pulled.

what sports are you talking about where you peak one day and then are shit a week later?

It was a bad matchup, simple as that. The whole “I trained for a wrestler” is an excuse. Tony got over 8 weeks advance notice for Justin and what he to do in that 8 weeks is his problem.

Tony got the shit beaten out of him by a better fighter. To the point where he quit and ran away. I don't blame him, but the excuses are lame. No one demanded he cut weight twice.

It was a bad matchup, simple as that. The whole “I trained for a wrestler” is an excuse. Tony got over 8 weeks advance notice for Justin and what he to do in that 8 weeks is his problem.
It was nowhere near 8 weeks and you’re ignoring the 2 weight cuts

Yeah I have competed before. Sure the weight cut was stupid, but “training for wrestlers” and “training for strikers” is overrated. You can’t train in three months for a lifetime of skill. Everyone has their skill set, and can improve on it for sure. But to think they can train 3 months to only fight a grappler is dumb. Everything tony had was still there, even if he trained for Gaethje, what would he have done different in the fight?

If he got it to the ground he'd probably submit him. But can't see him getting it there

Tony looked totally drained, looked smaller too and I don't think he had nearly as much pop in his strikes as normal.

Back