1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Tony’s loss to Gaethje

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by PizzaandBeer, Nov 14, 2020.

1. PizzaandBeer Banned Banned

How much of it was caused by the 2 weight cuts and fighting a short notice opponent with a different style than what he trained for. We know he was training for a wrestler and TDD. I know Tony’s a little past his prime but he probably would still beat Gaethje in a rematch, he took Gaethjes hardest shots until he got blinded by that nose shot, he would have recovered anyway.

He would have finished him if the round didn’t end.
    [​IMG]

cburm likes this.
  2. TheChipBandit Orange Belt

It didnt help for sure

3. Kdup Black Belt

Sherdoggers put too much into training camps. Tony had nothing for Gaethje, I wish he did too but he really didn’t. Landed 1 good shot other than that he ain’t did shit.

Mamou, FrappeDuRocma, KH4818 and 2 others like this.
  4. realdmone1 Banned Banned

yo, wtf was gaethje trying here anyway lmao

keepemup, Guld, BooBoyMan and 2 others like this.
  5. Deadwing88 Lion of Panjshir.

6. Privateeye0 Green Belt

Tony literally YOLO'd this fight. It was a very self-destructive gameplan. I would still like to see him fight Kahbib with a healthy 8 week camp

7. PizzaandBeer Banned Banned

A telegraphed uppercut it looks like, and Tony beat him to the punch.

keepemup likes this.
  8. AlanGregson Purple Belt

Lmao, justin dismantled tony, its not like he went in there and ko'd him in the first round. He was faster, sharper and more powerfull in the standup, tony is a standup fighter, they fought in standup.

There was nothing pointing to the fact that tony would do much better in a rematch, tony has gaping technical holes in his standup game, he doesnt do well with powerfull boxing style fighters, he didnt do well against jhonson and he didnt do well against gaethje, he'd get seriously fucked up by mcgregor or porrier.

9. PizzaandBeer Banned Banned

He wasn’t rocked, it landed on his nose and it hurt like hell which is why he tried to shake it off.

10. DerKoenig Claimed LHW Title before Chael

Or maybe he just has terrible striking defense and Gaethje was the first one to really capitalize on it.

11. Ahmed Masood Blue Belt

Tony and Khabib are both pressure fighters. Difference is Tonys pressure comes from his volume striking and Khabibs comes from the threat of the TD. Gaethje was able to disrupt the volume of Tony by countering him off his jab, and given that Gaethje was the hardest hitting person Tony fought, and we've seen Tony dropped by Pettis and Lee, it wasn't that much of a surprise that when Gaethje connected on Ferguson, he was able to temporarily halt the pressure. Khabib by comparison can pressure via threat of the TD meaning that everytime Gaethje landed on him, he was putting himself in distance for Khabib to take him down. Also, whilst Tonys chin is insane, I think Khabibs chin might be even better given that We saw Gaethje land on Khabib with right hands and left hooks, yet none of it stopped Khabib marching him down.

SappySkunk likes this.
  12. PizzaandBeer Banned Banned

After 2 weight cuts and a different style opponent on short notice lmao. Tony didn’t fight the way we usually see him.

13. KID Yamamoto PREMIUM DYNAMITE

Gaycheese is a bad matchup for Tony. Simple as.

Switch Blade likes this.
  14. daltonames Black Belt

Truth is that uppercut was basically the only moment for Tony in that fight. Tony got walloped. I don't think it was the weight cuts, Justin would've beat him anyway I think. I love Tony, but I think he's on the downward end of it. Lot of injuries, lot of damage, late 30s. Curious to see how he looks coming back from that fight.

15. mkt Gold Belt

Tony is almost 37 and probably well into his 40s in fighter years. He wouldn't beaten the earlier version of Gaethje (who gassed early and loss to Alvarez and Poirier) if they fought 3 or 4 years ago. He's past those days now.

16. AlanGregson Purple Belt

Thats because justin wasnt there for tony to fight like he usually does, he moved around got off the center line etc.
    He fought a perfect fight

17. Tabarnakos Brown Belt

Gaethje is a bad stylistic matchup for Tony. I said such before the fight and i'd say the same thing if there ever was a rematch. Plus Gaethje executed his gameplan to perfection

That said i gotta give credit to Tony for his heart. Dude was getting badly pummeled and kept going forward for more. The guy has ton of heart and resiliency but it's simply was not enough

18. AlanGregson Purple Belt

Stumbling around, not rocked btw...
    <FookIsThatGuy>

19. The Barbarian Banned Banned

I believe they will fight again sooner or later, that fight will answer a lot, but pretending that the change of opponent didn't have an effect is silly.

20. IloveTHIS Literal God

hahahahaha holy shit never fails to amaze me how stupid some of you can be