Tonight's late night movie: ENTER THE DRAGON

Masterpiece. Brief bare boob.

I think it had a young Jackie Chan as anonymous goon in the cave/basement scene accidentally get whacked by Bruce's numbchuks.

This is the film that set me on my journey toward becoming a martial arts enthusiast & a professional fighter.
After seeing ENTER THE DRAGON on a triple bill with THE CHINESE CONNECTION & FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH at the drive-in with my parents when I was 12 I begged them to allow me to take Kung Fu lessons but there were no Chinese martial arts schools in my area back then so I settled on Isshin-Ryu Karate. Which I grew bored with after a couple of years so I switched to Judo for a while & then, Tae Kwon Do. But after earning a few different colored belts in each I still hadn't found my niche.
It wasn't until I began training in boxing shortly after I turned 17 & I had my first amateur fight that I knew that I'd found my calling. I ran my record up to 27-5 before I decided to turn pro. After which I began training out of a hybrid boxing/kickboxing gym that other pros fought out of. Which eventually led me to me cross-training in kickboxing. And, an eventual black belt in American kickboxing.
Because I was focused on my boxing career, I never fought as a kickboxer though I did take part in a professional exhibition bout with the Canadian middleweight champion Jersey Long in Kingston, Ontario.
My boxing career didn't go quite as well as I would have liked it too because I spent a bit too much of it helping other, far better known, more talented fighters prepare for their fights as a professional sparring partner. But, it afforded me the opportunities to work with fighters like Hector Camacho, Aaron Pryor, Matthew Hilton, Shawn O'Sullivan, Simon Brown, Greg Haugan & many others. Which paid well & provided me with many once in a lifetime memories.
Once my boxing career was over I grew a bit bored & became interested in training in something new again after watching UFC 1 in 1993, which led me to begin working out with another local martial artist who trained me in the combative system Kajukenbo aka Hawaiian Kempo. I earned a black belt in it before that individual moved to Florida. So, a while later I began training for a comeback with Amer Abdallah ( who would go onto become the WKA world light heavyweight champion before retiring undefeated this past year ) & earned a black belt in his style of kickboxing as well. But, at 37 my comeback was derailed for good when my neck needed reconstructive surgery.
All this was begun that night in 1973 when I fell in love with what I witnessed on screen in the Bruce Lee epic.

Masterpiece. Brief bare boob.

I think it had a young Jackie Chan as anonymous goon in the cave/basement scene accidentally get whacked by Bruce's numbchuks.
Yes, sir. On all accounts.
There's naked side boob w/ exposed nipple & bonus bare buttocks as well. Things that stayed with my 12-year-old-self just as indelibly as all the classic fight scenes. LOL.

Enter the Dragon........ Ding Junhui!!!

It's funny how I can trace so much back to this Bruce Lee movie. Why my brain works that way I've no idea but it always has. On many occasions things that the vast majority of people will have long forgotten about become indelible moments for me.
For instance, I can recall the exact circumstances that brought about my interest in boxing. It, once again, had something to do with a Bruce Lee film. I'd gone over to a friend's house that night in May of 1975 because his mom was going to take us to our local cinema to see RETURN OF THE DRAGON. And while waiting for it to be time to go we waited in the living room where his dad was preparing to watch the Muhammad Ali-Ron Lyle fight.
I'd never seen a boxing match before nor had any desire to until that night when my interest was piqued by the pre-fight interviews & profiles. I became hooked. Unfortunately, my friend still insisted on going to see the movie so I didn't get to see the fight.
But, from that moment on I was a boxing fan & I began to watch every fight that was televised. And soon enough, my obsession with it led me to begin training at the local boxing gym & fighting myself. All of which is as clear as a bell to me four decades later.

This is the film that set me on my journey toward becoming a martial arts enthusiast & a professional fighter.
After seeing ENTER THE DRAGON on a triple bill with THE CHINESE CONNECTION & FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH at the drive-in with my parents when I was 12 I begged them to allow me to take Kung Fu lessons but there were no Chinese martial arts schools in my area back then so I settled on Isshin-Ryu Karate. Which I grew bored with after a couple of years so I switched to Judo for a while & then, Tae Kwon Do. But after earning a few different colored belts in each I still hadn't found my niche.
It wasn't until I began training in boxing shortly after I turned 17 & I had my first amateur fight that I knew that I'd found my calling. I ran my record up to 27-5 before I decided to turn pro. After which I began training out of a hybrid boxing/kickboxing gym that other pros fought out of. Which eventually led me to me cross-training in kickboxing. And, an eventual black belt in American kickboxing.
Because I was focused on my boxing career, I never fought as a kickboxer though I did take part in a professional exhibition bout with the Canadian middleweight champion Jersey Long in Kingston, Ontario.
My boxing career didn't go quite as well as I would have liked it too because I spent a bit too much of it helping other, far better known, more talented fighters prepare for their fights as a professional sparring partner. But, it afforded me the opportunities to work with fighters like Hector Camacho, Aaron Pryor, Matthew Hilton, Shawn O'Sullivan, Simon Brown, Greg Haugan & many others. Which paid well & provided me with many once in a lifetime memories.
Once my boxing career was over I grew a bit bored & became interested in training in something new again after watching UFC 1 in 1993, which led me to begin working out with another local martial artist who trained me in the combative system Kajukenbo aka Hawaiian Kempo. I earned a black belt in it before that individual moved to Florida. So, a while later I began training for a comeback with Amer Abdallah ( who would go onto become the WKA world light heavyweight champion before retiring undefeated this past year ) & earned a black belt in his style of kickboxing as well. But, at 37 my comeback was derailed for good when my neck needed reconstructive surgery.
All this was begun that night in 1973 when I fell in love with what I witnessed on screen in the Bruce Lee epic.
What did you do with Pryor? Sparring partner?

What did you do with Pryor? Sparring partner?

Yep, I was a sparring partner for him for his comeback fight vs Herminio Morales in Rochester, NY back in 1988. He was well past his prime & partially blind in one eye at the time but he still hit hard & was non-stop motion. IMG_20170927_151338.jpg

Yep, I was a sparring partner for him for his comeback fight vs Herminio Morales in Rochester, NY back in 1988. He was well past his prime & partially blind in one eye at the time but he still hit hard & was non-stop motion. View attachment 509211
Awesome
Yea I was gonna ask how you were you would have had to be pretty old to have been sparring an on his prime or before that Pryor

I always liked

A Fist Full of Yen

LeadingDifferentJunebug-size_restricted.gif

what's your schtyle??

I was never huge on b lee movies
Well, for their time, his films are classics but honestly, I do have to be in a nostalgic mood to watch them. In some ways, they haven't aged particularly well.
These days, I'm much more into Donnie Yen's films with FLASHPOINT & KUNG FU KILLER being my two favorites. I'm also a huge fan of Iko Uwais especially THE RAID films, HEADSHOT & THE NIGHT COMES FOR US.

Back