Toney is training serious for Couture

so you wrestle 133? so ur in college. If you trained serious or didn't train at all you would still get tech'd or pinned by every all american at 133, get my point yet?

I had my beatings but I also dealt out plenty of beatings myself thanks to my conditioning and work ethic. What you are saying is some of the saddest shit ever and its easy to see you've never competed in anything with that kind of pathetic mentality

I had my beatings but I also dealt out plenty of beatings myself thanks to my conditioning and work ethic. What you are saying is some of the saddest shit ever and its easy to see you've never competed in anything with that kind of pathetic mentality

you are failing to get the point. If you are BADLY outmatched training hard for that match doesn't have any bearing on the outcome. No matter if you sat on your ass, or trained 5 hours every day you would still get tech'd ever single time by those all americans, because you just aren't good enough and never will be.

If mosley put in the best camp work ever in his entire career he'd still get pretty much shut-out by floyd, same with clottey.

Wrestling and fighting are vastly different. Otherwise we wouldn't see top wrestlers get ktfo as we have many times in the passed. James was a true master at boxing and is far from his prime, but has forgotten more about KOing people then Randy could ever know or learn in a lifetime. He will assuredly learn at about 5 to 10x the rate of the average mma student as he has always been a natural fighter and learner. I'm not saying he will win, but I think he is more than a live underdog and I put 20 on him with a friend because he is going to have blazing hands in comparison to ANYONE Couture has ever faced.

you are failing to get the point. If you are BADLY outmatched training hard for that match doesn't have any bearing on the outcome. No matter if you sat on your ass, or trained 5 hours every day you would still get tech'd ever single time by those all americans, because you just aren't good enough and never will be.

If mosley put in the best camp work ever in his entire career he'd still get pretty much shut-out by floyd, same with clottey.

so basically you're saying one should just give up?

because if so thats some sad shit advice you're giving, I bet you're a fat fuck who hasnt stepped a foot in any kind of gym your whole life

so basically you're saying one should just give up?

because if so thats some sad shit advice you're giving, I bet you're a fat fuck who hasnt stepped a foot in any kind of gym your whole life

Where did I say give up? I said how hard you train when you are vastly overmatched matters little, you could save some time and energy and ratchet your training down if ur goin against an all american.

And no I'm not fat I boxed as a youngster before getting recruited to wrestle then earned a d1 scholarship.

Where did I say give up? I said how hard you train when you are vastly overmatched matters little, you could save some time and energy and ratchet your training down if ur goin against an all american.

And no I'm not fat I boxed as a youngster before getting recruited to wrestle then earned a d1 scholarship.

sure you did, with that mentality its hard to believe

Gotta agree with you man... not everyone has the natural ability to be all they want to be. You always gotta strive for the top, and give it your all, but not everyone can get there.

Gotta agree with you man... not everyone has the natural ability to be all they want to be. You always gotta strive for the top, and give it your all, but not everyone can get there.

I agree. I

it's not risky, you sign him to a 3+ fight deal, he wins you hype him as the best striker in all of mma, easy money, pulls in some of his followers from boxing and other intrigued boxing fans, money in the bank. And they can still use his wrestling background to keep off the boxing vs mma retards.
The bottom line is Cintron offered but Dana came up with the excuse that no one knows who Cintron is and so did Sherk, so they thought it was not worth it. The threads about it are in the archives.

Also who knows if Cintron would have agreed to a 3+ exclusive contract considering the fact that he was probably making more in Boxing then.

How come every time a boxer goes and says training on takedowns is hatdwork, all these MMA fans come out of the wood work and start with the "See MMA is the best, hardest and the only thing that matters". Atleast boxers are willing to go into a new "sport" and give it a try. I don't see many MMAs trying to go into boxing to prove they are the best strikers.

Because MMA fighters arent the best strikers. Just like boxers arent the best grapplers. Why do so many people have a problem accepting that boxing and MMA is very different?

Boxers are better punchers, MMA fighters are better grapplers and more well rounder. Neither sport is gay and both sports deserve respect. And the fighters need to take their time and learn before competing in MMA. Just like people need to train before competing in boxing.

Also, when have MMA fighters said they are better strikers then boxers? Maybe prime Crocop or Schilt were, but otherwise if any MMA fighter said it its BS.

Both MMA fighters and Boxers need to stop talking trash about the other. Accept that they are different sports.

Also, I'm glad to see Toney is taking it serious. I dont really like the guy but I respect him for taking it serious and for being a boxing legend.

As I am both a boxing fan and MMA fan and enjoy both at the highest level, Randy may be 47 years old and 18-10 but he's a master game planner. Looking at James Toney's record he hasnt knocked out anyone notable since 2003. Randy is preparing at the best level for Toney and will wrestle him down and keep him down for three rounds to win a decision or even a mid to late submission I suspect. James Toney is more over the hill than Randy even though he's younger, he can train as much as he wants, get in the best shape (he said he was for the Sam Peter fight) and he didn't look great at all, but Randy is taking this fight easily over James Toney

Nice quote here's mine and it is much more recent and applicable to modern mma. And look another post where you can't go without saying ultimate fightin' haha, what a joke. You seriously must be 10 years old, did Dana White fire your dad or something?

-David Haye

And good job turning another thread into mma vs boxing. I was merely talking about the term "training serious"

If mosley or clottey trained or didn't at all the outcomes would have been the exact same. (near) shut-out embarrassing, 1-sided losses. PERIOD.

You quote Haye when referring to James Toney? Haye would be lucky to get out of there alive against this old and spent Toney. Haye has no heart in comparrison or talent. This is about as good of a comparison as Jeremy Williams or Butterbean saying that that Couture doesn't understand how dangerous boxing is and that it's easier to fight mma. Randy punches like a welterweight woman in boxing so i think you areswaying your argument to say that a great wrester who is 50 has nothing to fear from a HoF puncher and master boxer. That is rediculous. All the training and sparring Couture has ever done have been against striking hacks in comparrison. Be greatful toney is so past hiw prime, as if he had come over to mma around the time he beat Jirov, Randy would be getting carried out in a coma.

Win or lose, gotta give Toney props for giving it a try. He's the only high level boxer to give MMA a shot despite his age.

Because MMA fighters arent the best strikers. Just like boxers arent the best grapplers. Why do so many people have a problem accepting that boxing and MMA is very different?

Boxers are better punchers, MMA fighters are better grapplers and more well rounder. Neither sport is gay and both sports deserve respect. And the fighters need to take their time and learn before competing in MMA. Just like people need to train before competing in boxing.

Both MMA fighters and Boxers need to stop talking trash about the other. Accept that they are different sports.

Also, I'm glad to see Toney is taking it serious. I dont really like the guy but I respect him for taking it serious and for being a boxing legend.

Thank you for that answer.The best answer i have read.

Here is a story about a wrestler turn boxer back in the day and a couple of quotes from him.

To Dan Hodge the road to boxing fame had been short and successful. He found boxing neither harder nor easier than wrestling, "just different."

While waiting for his big fight in Chicago last week he explained the difference. "In wrestling," he said, "you keep your muscles tight and tense; in boxing you keep them loose and agile. That's what I've been doing, loosening up my muscles—jabbing long, working on my combinations, not pulling with my muscles like I would be in wrestling."

Another difference: "In boxing, you're working for two or three minutes, then rest a minute. In college wrestling, you work nine minutes before you get a rest."

In running up a string of 46 consecutive collegiate wrestling victories—including 36 pins (23 in a row)—Hodge rarely had to work nine minutes. "My average last year," he admits, "was around 1:33."

The thing he finds hardest to master in his three-and-a-half-hour daily workouts with sparring partner Johnny Gray are combinations—and he hasn't learned them yet

Here is a link to the rest of the story.
As a wrestler Dan Hodge had no peer, but using fists is - 03.17.58 - SI Vault

0401_large.jpg

Here is a link to his wrestling career story.
Wrestler Dan Hodge has never been beaten in college. His - 04.01.57 - SI Vault

Win or lose, gotta give Toney props for giving it a try. He's the only high level boxer to give MMA a shot despite his age.

Well...Botha gave it a shot as well...but I do agree with you. I have all the respect for James Toney, not because he's attempting MMA and taking a risk...but for his accomplishments in the boxing ring as well.

He truly is a legend.

I hope toney wins. PPL in the HW section are fucking retards. You should see the disrepect they spew towards toney. Calling him a freak show and shit while praising one dimensional kick boxers like CC who transitioned into MMA very well.

I hope Toney KO's couture to teach those ignorant fools a lesson. Boxing is the best striking art in the world. FUck the rest.

Well...Botha gave it a shot as well...but I do agree with you. I have all the respect for James Toney, not because he's attempting MMA and taking a risk...but for his accomplishments in the boxing ring as well.

He truly is a legend.

I don't give Toney props for going over in his prime... he couldn't cut it in boxing anymore, no names wanted to fight him because he's past it and has nothing left, so he shit-talked his way into the UFC, which I definitely give him props for.

I hope toney wins. PPL in the HW section are fucking retards. You should see the disrepect they spew towards toney. Calling him a freak show and shit while praising one dimensional kick boxers like CC who transitioned into MMA very well.

I hope Toney KO's couture to teach those ignorant fools a lesson. Boxing is the best striking art in the world. FUck the rest.

It's amazing how much disrespect the art of boxing gets despite every high level fighter in MMA using it to one degree or another.

Good for Toney. He's still getting his ass finished in the first round 19/20 times. And that's not a shot at Toney, he's just not an MMA fighter. He's a boxer. In a boxing match, Toney demolishes Couture 20/20 times.

Back