Toney is training serious for Couture

Brad Imes had decent cardio, Toney has already said MMA requires better cardio than boxing because you cant clinch and catch your breath. If Toney was known for great cardio, or fighting someone with horrible cardio like Kimbo or Houston I'd give him a shot, but it's the exact opposite with him and he's fighting Couture.

Where did Toney say that? Even if he thought that, I wouldn't imagine he would say it.

Where did Toney say that? Even if he thought that, I wouldn't imagine he would say it.

do you guys even read the fucking articles or just post based on thread titles or love/hate for one sport or another jesus.

Toney is training seriously for Couture

It didn’t take long for Toney to realize that he can’t half-ass it in the octagon, especially against a decorated MMA veteran such as Couture.

“You have to be in great shape for MMA,” Toney said. “In boxing you can hold to catch a breath. You can’t do that in the cage.

Brad Imes had decent cardio, Toney has already said MMA requires better cardio than boxing because you cant clinch and catch your breath. If Toney was known for great cardio, or fighting someone with horrible cardio like Kimbo or Houston I'd give him a shot, but it's the exact opposite with him and he's fighting Couture.

James never says that MMA requires better cardio. He just says you have to be in great shape because the action doesn't pause in a clinch like boxing.

The quote from that article:

Thats a good thing. It means when he grapples, hes going to work you, and not LnP

that's assuming he's in good shape. Carwin said he had good cardio and could go 5, so have numerous other MMA fighters. As I have seen others with both boxing and wrestling backgrounds explain on this forum before (or as David Haye has discussed) boxing is more cardio where as wrestling mma is both cardio and burst/explosion/strength conditioning.

It's like comparing a marathon runner to someone who does a 400 hurdles. Completely different type of cardio/conditioning/muscle memory required. Throwing a punch combo as hard as you can for 30 seconds will not gas you like shooting for a takedown, guy sprawls you spend 30 seconds trying to pull it in and end up giving it up.

I want Couture to win, but if Toney puts up more of an all around fight than Mark Coleman I will be pleased.

C'mon man......Toney will lose. Few months of training, are you kidding me? Dana's using him to prove a point and you will soon find out.

That one too and when Randy beats him, he'll be able to give 'smart' reply if a boxing expert or whatever asks him.

i kinda hope toney looses badly/quickly and then dana spouts off at the mouth about how boxing sucks and somehow suckers in some guys in their prime like Cintron who has a wrestling background, otherwise i doubt we will see any "prime" boxers unless they are scared of top boxing comp (like flores)

i kinda hope toney looses badly/quickly and then dana spouts off at the mouth about how boxing sucks and somehow suckers in some guys in their prime like Cintron who has a wrestling background, otherwise i doubt we will see any "prime" boxers unless they are scared of top boxing comp (like flores)

I'd love to see Cintron come in and give MMA a try

I'd love to see Cintron come in and give MMA a try

[.yt]PHFsj1XMNLg[./yt]
Cintron offered but Dana and Sherk made excuses.

I doubt he wants guys like him to come in and embarass his fighters, too risky.

lol dammit you quoted my epic fail of an embed, but yeah I remember reading about that and thought it was weak as hell on Dana's part

it's not risky, you sign him to a 3+ fight deal, he wins you hype him as the best striker in all of mma, easy money, pulls in some of his followers from boxing and other intrigued boxing fans, money in the bank. And they can still use his wrestling background to keep off the boxing vs mma retards.

Back