Toney is training serious for Couture

Well with wisdom like this you are all set to be the next great Boxing trainer I am sure (may be even surpass Ray Arcel)...

By the way Floyd would disagree considering the fact that he takes his training very seriously and is known to be one of the hardest workers in the Gym.

you aren't very bright. The point is just because someone is training "serious" doesn't mean it's going to affect the fight against a superior opponent in any way. Whether mosley trained serious or not he still got an ass-whooping, whether clottey trained "serious" or not he still got a shut-out ass-whooping. Whether Kimbo has trained "serious" or not for the past 3 years he still sucks ass on the ground. Toney training serious for a few months is not going to give him high level tdd or ground skills, hell if he trained for 3 years he'd still be sloppy on the ground.

you aren't very bright. The point is just because someone is training "serious" doesn't mean it's going to affect the fight against a superior opponent in any way. Whether mosley trained serious or not he still got an ass-whooping, whether clottey trained "serious" or not he still got a shut-out ass-whooping. Whether Kimbo has trained "serious" or not for the past 3 years he still sucks ass on the ground. Toney training serious for a few months is not going to give him high level tdd or ground skills, hell if he trained for 3 years he'd still be sloppy on the ground.
Training seriously > not training at all, no?

Considering most people were concerned that Toney was just doing this for a paycheck this is good news. Of course how fast Toney can pick up new tricks at his age remains to be seen, but I suspect that he's able to adapt much easier than you or I would be able to. Remember how with only 9 months of training under his belt Brad fuckin' Imes was able to make it to the finals of The Ultimate Lover?

Hey dumb fuck, ever heard of this guy called Cro Cop?

He didn't need years of training to learn TDD.

Whether Toney can do so is a different question but to act like it's impossible, well that just reeks of ultimate fightin' fandom.

And lol at you for comparing some street fighting bum like Kimbo with Toney, that's really "bright" I guess.

And who is to say he even needs TDD or ground skills, may be he will pull a Mercer and KO's Randy as he is coming in for the TD, not impossible and it has happened before. Think it was Lavar Johnson who side stepped a TD attempt and KO'd the guy with an upper cut.

Training seriously > not training at all, no?

Considering most people were concerned that Toney was just doing this for a paycheck this is good news. Of course how fast Toney can pick up new tricks at his age remains to be seen, but I suspect that he's able to adapt much easier than you or I would be able to. Remember how with only 9 months of training under his belt Brad fuckin' Imes was able to make it to the finals of The Ultimate Lover?

Um ultimate fighter is trash, and then when you throw in heavyweights, it's only worse and you have brad imes making it to the finals and losing to a light heavyweight wrestler with 1 year of training.

Hey dumb fuck, ever heard of this guy called Cro Cop?

He didn't need years of training to learn TDD.

Whether Toney can do so is a different question but to act like it's impossible, well that just reeks of ultimate fightin' fandom.

And lol at you for comparing some street fighting bum like Kimbo with Toney, that's really "bright" I guess.

And who is to say he even needs TDD or ground skills, may be he will pull a Mercer and KO's Randy as he is coming in for the TD, not impossible and it has happened before. Think it was Lavar Johnson who side stepped a TD attempt and KO'd the guy with an upper cut.

“What Good is wrestling after a knockout blow to the head?” - John L. Sullivan (World Champion 1882-1892).

Nice quote here's mine and it is much more recent and applicable to modern mma. And look another post where you can't go without saying ultimate fightin' haha, what a joke. You seriously must be 10 years old, did Dana White fire your dad or something?

Six months of training isn’t going to be enough," Haye said. "As a UFC fan, I know two or three years wouldn’t be enough. How many times has Toney sprawled in his life? 500? How many leg kicks has he taken in his life? 300? How many Kimura attempts has he defended? 140? Even if he’s done double that amount, he wouldn’t have nearly the experience needed to win a UFC fight."

"I know from training in MMA myself that the wrestling aspect ruins your punching power," Haye said. "After a minute of grappling, your arms, back and shoulders fill with blood and even if you then find space to throw punches, your power is suddenly crap.

"And I hit a lot harder and I’m so much faster than James, and I couldn’t land a punch on fighters when all they wanted to do was take me down to the ground. James is a much more static fighter than I am, and is going to get thrown on his back immediately by Randy. I admire Toney’s spirit and boxing skills. But he’s delusional here."

-David Haye

And good job turning another thread into mma vs boxing. I was merely talking about the term "training serious"

If mosley or clottey trained or didn't at all the outcomes would have been the exact same. (near) shut-out embarrassing, 1-sided losses. PERIOD.

Nice quote here's mine and it is much more recent and applicable to modern mma. And look another post where you can't go without saying ultimate fightin' haha, what a joke. You seriously must be 10 years old, did Dana White fire your dad or something?

-David Haye
"David Haye is a ***, so I don

How come every time a boxer goes and says training on takedowns is hatdwork, all these MMA fans come out of the wood work and start with the "See MMA is the best, hardest and the only thing that matters". Atleast boxers are willing to go into a new "sport" and give it a try. I don't see many MMAs trying to go into boxing to prove they are the best strikers.

And good job turning another thread into mma vs boxing. I was merely talking about the term "training serious"

If mosley or clottey trained or didn't at all the outcomes would have been the exact same. (near) shut-out embarrassing, 1-sided losses. PERIOD.
Who brought up TDD and ground skills and claimed that Toney wouldn't be able to learn them to a high enough level?

It wasn't me that's for sure.

Let me explain it to you, despite whatever propaganda you heard TDD is not impossible to learn for a striker. It has been done before by CC the only high level striker to transition to MMA.

Toney is a shell of his former self but so is Couture.

We are talking about Toney vs Couture here dumb ass not any MMA vs Boxing topic, you must have a vivid imagination.

How come every time a boxer goes and says training on takedowns is hatdwork, all these MMA fans come out of the wood work and start with the "See MMA is the best, hardest and the only thing that matters". Atleast boxers are willing to go into a new "sport" and give it a try. I don't see many MMAs trying to go into boxing to prove they are the best strikers.
And keep in mind Mercer is damn near 50.

Toney is 42 and a veteran of over 80 pro Boxing bouts with obvious brain damage. He has been brought in to lose for this freakshow fight so that Dana can get some bragging rights against Boxing.

Of course transititoning to a completely new sport will be more difficult on their bodies when they are that old and past their prime.

Who brought up TDD and ground skills and claimed that Toney wouldn't be able to learn them to a high enough level?

It wasn't me that's for sure.

Let me explain it to you, despite whatever propaganda you heard TDD is not impossible to learn for a striker. It has been done before by CC the only high level striker to transition to MMA.

Toney is a shell of his former self but so is Couture.

We are talking about Toney vs Couture here dumb ass not any MMA vs Boxing topic, you must have a vivid imagination.

Cro cop used leg kicks for distance to avoid takedown attempts james toney doesn't have that luxury. Not to mention he fought only a few good wrestlers.

This is what a james toney leg kick would look like.

20802119d32f8d800361e7c499438c48de8da67.gif

And keep in mind Mercer is damn near 50.

Toney is 42 and a veteran of over 80 pro Boxing bouts with obvious brain damage. He has been brought in to lose for this freakshow fight so that Dana can get some bragging rights against Boxing.

Of course transititoning to a completely new sport will be more difficult on their bodies when they are that old and past their prime.

Well that

Um ultimate fighter is trash, and then when you throw in heavyweights, it's only worse and you have brad imes making it to the finals and losing to a light heavyweight wrestler with 1 year of training.
In its heyday (circa 2005-2007) The Ultimate Fighter was more than just a promotional tool used to bring more viewers in to the UFC's fanbase. Before the death of PRIDE and before the UFC ultimately ruled the MMA universe TUF was used to find the best unsigned prospects in the world, giving them exposure in hopes that they would eventually bud in to superstars. It worked, producing future champions like Forrest Griffin and Rashad Evans among a multitude of top contenders like Kenny Florian, Diego Sanchez, Nate Quarry, Keith Jardine, Nate Diaz, Manny Gamburyan, Joe Lauzon, and Gray Maynard among others.

Much like Toney, Brad Imes was given absolutely no chance by the MMA community when they saw that he was competing with grizzled veterans of the sport like Mike Whitehead, Keith Jardine, and Kerry Schall. Hell, with only 9 months of training who could blame them? But Imes, a complete MMA novice with no previous combat experience and only 9 months of training, was able to submit highly touted prospect (at the time) Rob Macdonald and beat future Kimbo killer Seth Petruzelli before losing a split decision to future LHW champ and current top 5 fighter Rashad Evans in the finale.

So my question to you is this - if Brad Imes can have that kind of an impact with a bit of athletic ability and no previous wrestling, boxing or MMA experience, what can a natural born fighter with 20+ years of combat experience and a multitude of boxing titles under his belt do? Id wager that he may be able to do just a touch better.

Last edited:
If Toney was fighting at MW or SMW itwould be a different story. But Dana couldnt sign someliek David Haye or Green to fight Couture?

Toney's idea of training serious is going from eating 12 Krispy Kreme's a day to 6.

In its heyday (circa 2005-2007) The Ultimate Fighter was more than just a promotional tool used to bring more viewers in to the UFC's fanbase. Before the death of PRIDE and before the UFC ultimately ruled the MMA universe TUF was used to find the best unsigned prospects in the world, giving them exposure in hopes that they would eventually bud in to superstars. It worked, producing future champions like Forrest Griffin and Rashad Evans among a multitude of top contenders like Kenny Florian, Diego Sanchez, Nate Quarry, Keith Jardine, Nate Diaz, Manny Gamburyan, Joe Lauzon, and Gray Maynard among others.

Much like Toney, Brad Imes was given absolutely no chance by the MMA community when they saw that he was competing with grizzled veterans of the sport like Mike Whitehead, Keith Jardine, and Kerry Schall. Hell, with only 9 months of training who could blame them? But Imes, a complete MMA novice with no previous combat experience and only 9 months of training, was able to submit highly touted prospect (at the time) Rob Macdonald and beat future Kimbo killer Seth Petruzelli before losing a split decision to future LHW champ and current top 5 fighter Rashad Evans in the finale.

So my question to you is this - if Brad Imes can have that kind of an impact with a bit of athletic ability and no previous wrestling, boxing or MMA experience, what can a natural born fighter with 20+ years of combat experience and a multitude of boxing titles under his belt do? Id wager that he may be able to do just a touch better.

Brad Imes had decent cardio, Toney has already said MMA requires better cardio than boxing because you cant clinch and catch your breath. If Toney was known for great cardio, or fighting someone with horrible cardio like Kimbo or Houston I'd give him a shot, but it's the exact opposite with him and he's fighting Couture.

Brad Imes had decent cardio, Toney has already said MMA requires better cardio than boxing because you cant clinch and catch your breath. If Toney was known for great cardio, or fighting someone with horrible cardio like Kimbo or Houston I'd give him a shot, but it's the exact opposite with him and he's fighting Couture.

Disagree, you can shoot in on a guy and just hold him or hold him against the fence like Randy vs Vera.

In boxing you take a knee and you lose the round.

Back