Tommy Morrison knew he had hiv

Hellhammer84

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I read an article stating he originally found out in 89 he had hiv which was 7 years from the time he was kicked out of boxing. Guy had one weird life. Tried making a comeback in 2006 for a few shady promotions then disappeared and was pretty much off the grid till his death. His widow still claims to this day he never had HIV . Nothing about this guy since 96 has ever added up. Just all around bizarre

Last edited:
post the article. in 89 it was pretty much a death sentence, it was in 96 too, he's lucky to have been around as long as he was. rumours that Prince died from aids have circulated since his death too, secrecy is a haven for bizarreness

W
post the article. in 89 it was pretty much a death sentence, it was in 96 too, he's lucky to have been around as long as he was. rumours that Prince died from aids have circulated since his death too, secrecy is a haven for bizarreness
Will do

I remember the hullabaloo when he was trying to claim that he wasn't HIV positive and trying to fight MMA. Someone close to him said "if he isn't HIV positive, then why is he still taking his antivirals?" Really gross dude.

If true, that changes my opinion of him... He was endangering the lives of his opponents. Similar to someone using PEDs.

if you were following Morrison, your opinion of him should have been pretty low to begin with. Guy didn't have a lot of redeeming qualities.

If true, that changes my opinion of him... He was endangering the lives of his opponents. Similar to someone using PEDs.

I'm ok with fighters doing PEDs but even I have no sympathy for someone fighting with HIV. It's much much worse

I read an article stating he originally found out in 89 he had hiv which was 7 years from the time he was kicked out of boxing. Guy had one weird life. Tried making a comeback in 2006 for a few shady promotions then disappeared and was pretty much off the grid till his death. His widow still claims to this day he never had HIV . Nothing about this guy since 96 has ever added up. Just all around bizarre
and then he made those statements that he could teleport and then he also got caught trying to smuggle someone else's blood for a test. even in 96, people said he was trying to avoid the test because he already knew about his status. Fact is, no one in the history of hiv has gotten it in a fight. it is just about impossible, but that's not the point, the rules are the rules and in morrrisons case, I could easily see him not giving a fuck, he probably gave hiv to others in sexual relations too. selfishness.

Im sure he infected others. He didn't use condoms, before or after he got his diagnosis.

probably did, I don't know why people are so selfish, but others should also make sure they protect themselves, you can't believe what anyone says. In wa, it's a serious crime. tommy was just kind of a lost soul.

if you were following Morrison, your opinion of him should have been pretty low to begin with. Guy didn't have a lot of redeeming qualities.

I never really followed Morrison's career, what was up with him to have a bad rep? Any stories, examples?

I never really followed Morrison's career, what was up with him to have a bad rep? Any stories, examples?
so many things that I can't remember them all, i'm sure other people recollect though. He was said to be kind of a bully around his town, even after the HIV ban from boxing he went to prison on some kind of charge but he was always in trouble. few years ago, his last fight, they did try to smuggle someone else's blood into the test or something. I think he had serious drug/alcohol issues also, by the time of his last fight, he'd looked like he'd aged a good twenty years and sounded like he didn't have any teeth in his mouth. He had a good start to his career and did have world class talent, lots of heart, he lacked a chin though, he was also pretty smart. He was impressive the few times I heard him do color commentating.

I know he was also once married to two different women at the same time. Was living a double life. His two sons now box and both actually seem quite levelheaded

His chin was better than people give credit. Everyone watches that video of Ray Mercer destroying him. Ray hit really fricken hard and could put anyone out and on top of that Tommy got caught on the ropes instead of just going down. So Ray just Tees off on him until he finally falls.

I liked listening to the guy talk about boxing. He was a lot smarter than you would think he would be being white trash who just happened to have an unholy left hook. I wish he had just taken better care of himself and stuck to commentary.

his chin was a liability, he was getting set up to face the recently out of prison Tyson and it woulda been big bucks but he got kayoed by Michael Bentt and was staggered by some weak looking shots right when he had hurt Bentt. This was post Mercer and he'd beaten the slow footed George Foreman by running around for 12 rounds and not getting caught. The guy had good courage, he fought and won after having his jaw broken against joe hipp in a fight which I thought was incorrectly stopped. Very fast hands and terrific power in the left hook, just no chin and no real dedication to the sport.

Last edited:
take a look, see what kind of guy he was, intelligent, knew his business but the story of how he busted people up shows where he was as a person:

Morrison was one of the few who donated to childrens charities and visited the sick in kids in the hospitals....he was as nice as they get both as a sportsman and human being ,he didnt die of Aids he died of drugs which amplified whatever was going on . He was a partier back in the day ,i wouldn't categorize that as a bad person .

His chin was better than people give credit. Everyone watches that video of Ray Mercer destroying him. Ray hit really fricken hard and could put anyone out and on top of that Tommy got caught on the ropes instead of just going down. So Ray just Tees off on him until he finally falls.

I liked listening to the guy talk about boxing. He was a lot smarter than you would think he would be being white trash who just happened to have an unholy left hook. I wish he had just taken better care of himself and stuck to commentary.
This is true ,the main problem outside himself was poor management starting with his trainers who were more knowledgeable about physical fitness than boxing ,like Cus /Rooney having to keep close tabs on Tyson ,the same was not done to off handle Morrison who went from farm country to the big time and really was just a big kid in his 20's .....i blame his management bc its part of the job to keep the fighter in check thats what their there for ,career guidance .

Morrison was very boxing smart ,his biggest mistake was not hiring either Atlas or Rooney ,two guys to work with an aggressive style who were around Cus and make him more refined ,im not sure what Bill Caytons role in decision making were but for a former Tyson manager ,Morrisons trainers never seemed a good fit and never made Morrison progress enough and always seemed to just rely and hope Morrison wins every fight on a big left hook,i think they coasted with him and put on more muscle to him instead of improved basics .

Last edited:
Morrison was one of the few who donated to childrens charities and visited the sick in kids in the hospitals....he was as nice as they get both as a sportsman and human being ,he didnt die of Aids he died of drugs which amplified whatever was going on . He was a partier back in the day ,i wouldn't categorize that as a bad person .

No one dies of AIDS you die of infections and a fucked immune system so yeah safe to say he did of AIDS as much as you can die of AIDS
If he fucked other people without telling them he had AIDS and knew he had AIDS when he fought then he's a piece of shit allthough if he did take his AIDS drugs in the beginning then the chance to infect someone was probably low

Back