Tombstone (1993) vs Wyatt Earp (1994)

I would say Tombstone, because I love that movie and I watched it several times. I tried watching Wyatt Earp once and I think I actually fell asleep. I'm older now and supposedly more mature and sophisticated, so maybe I'll give it another shot one day. I was never really a fan of Costner though tbh.

I'm in the minority but I liked Wyatt Earp better. I didn't think it was great or anything but I liked it. Definitely a slow burn movie and not for everyone.

Tombstone felt too Hollywood to me. It would be like making a Western in 2016 and picking all of the hot celebrities you can find to fill the cast rather than the best actors. It just felt obnoxious. I haven't seen Tombstone since it came out so maybe I would have a different opinion of it today.

QfN3uKF.gif
you back that queen you sonnabich and I'll blow you right off that wildcat's ass......do you hear me??....and dammit Junior...how many times i gotta tell ya to quit blowin that damn cigar smoke in ma face??? christ almighty,its like im sittin here playin cards with ma brother's kids or sumthin you nerve wracking sonsbichs

something on yer mind???

I'm in the minority but I liked Wyatt Earp better. I didn't think it was great or anything but I liked it. Definitely a slow burn movie and not for everyone.

Tombstone felt too Hollywood to me. It would be like making a Western in 2016 and picking all of the hot celebrities you can find to fill the cast rather than the best actors. It just felt obnoxious. I haven't seen Tombstone since it came out so maybe I would have a different opinion of it today.

Finally! I knew someone would come along who would back Wyatt Earp.

Tombstone is definitely more of a pop Western than Wyatt Earp is, but honestly, I think that's why I like it more. It's just fun as hell, and even though there were a lot of big names, they were the right men for the job.

It's a showdown of the Earp films!

George Cosmatos vs Lawrence Kasdan!

Kurt Russell vs Kevin Costner
Val Kilmer vs Dennis Quaid
Michael Biehn vs Norman Howell

. . . and so on and so forth!

Who wins and why?

tombstone-movie-poster-1993-1010259614.jpg

VS

121019838_amazoncom-wyatt-earp-movie-double-sided-poster-print-.jpg

Complete and utter mismatch. Even Dana wouldn't book a fight this one-sided.

Tombstone, first round, by whatever the fuck it wants.

This is like game pitbull vs pet store yorkie.

Tombstone, though I enjoyed Wyatt Earp.

This has always made me LOL. It's just a hell of an insult.
good ol Billy bob lol

personally tho...I like the conversation between doc and Ike when Ike is getting all pissy at Doc because he won like 12 games in a row and doc says to him.."why maybe poker aint your game ike....I know!....lets have a spelling contest"

you could easily be describing Young Guns here too lol, which I enjoyed both of

The scene directly after this is a masterclass; Wyatt sees the Cowboy's expression change after Doc winks at him, and knows he will have to kill these men in order to save himself and his brothers. He mutters, "Oh, my God" in a mixture of horror and resignation, the same way someone facing such a life or death situation today might exclaim, "Ah, shit!"

The scene only lasts a few seconds, but the acting is flawless.

I enjoyed Robin Hood but not because he was in it. Bull Durham but not because he was in it. The Untouchables but not at all because he was in it.

Never made it through Dances With Wolves or The Postman because I'd rather be assaulted in the balls repeatedly.

Now I don't aim to see his movies because he's in them.
Dances with wolves is fantastic. The Postman is one of the worst movies ever. Right up there with Battlefield Earth.

The scene directly after this is a masterclass; Wyatt sees the Cowboy's expression change after Doc winks at him, and knows he will have to kill these men in order to save himself and his brothers. He mutters, "Oh, my God" in a mixture of horror and resignation, the same way someone facing such a life or death situation today might exclaim, "Ah, shit!"

The scene only lasts a few seconds, but the acting is flawless.
Agreed. In an interview Thomas Haden Church said his character (Billy Clanton I think?) was supposed to be famous for being the guy who started the gun fight, but I like how the movie gave the nod to the world's most epic shit starter, Doc Hollywood.

Tombstone is one of those rare movies that manages to deliver an over the top hollywood pulp script with great acting performances and well written characters. The only thing keeping it from the goat conversation are the romantic interludes with whatsername that just get crammed in and take you right out of the movie, always accompanied by super cheesy background music. Even at the end of that awesome gun fight scene, after everybody gets shot up and Mort has just killed a man for the first time, it's all solemn and dramatic, then she walks out and smiles at Wyatt and cue the romantic score... just awful.

Tombstone is just one of the best movies ever made.

Wyatt Earp is decent. Almost positive I watched it on VHS and there were two tapes... Who has time to rewind that shit?

Tombstone is just one of the best movies ever made.

Wyatt Earp is decent. Almost positive I watched it on VHS and there were two tapes... Who has time to rewind that shit?

LOL. I was just talking to a friend of mine about the old days of double-cassette VHS editions. I actually still own two:

Titanic and Fellowship of the Ring

Agreed. In an interview Thomas Haden Church said his character (Billy Clanton I think?) was supposed to be famous for being the guy who started the gun fight, but I like how the movie gave the nod to the world's most epic shit starter, Doc Hollywood.

Tombstone is one of those rare movies that manages to deliver an over the top hollywood pulp script with great acting performances and well written characters. The only thing keeping it from the goat conversation are the romantic interludes with whatsername that just get crammed in and take you right out of the movie, always accompanied by super cheesy background music. Even at the end of that awesome gun fight scene, after everybody gets shot up and Mort has just killed a man for the first time, it's all solemn and dramatic, then she walks out and smiles at Wyatt and cue the romantic score... just awful.

I thought the romance sub-plot was important because it really drives home what kind of man Wyatt is. At first, he tries to fight it and convince himself that he's happy living the quiet family man's life, because that "suits him right down to the ground." But really, no, it's not true. He's a wild man. He needs the action. He needs the adventure. He needs to know that something new might be just over the horizon.

That's what his little fling with Josephine shows us.

Hell yeah! The Untouchables, Field of Dreams, JFK, Robin Hood, Dances with Wolves. . . That's good shit!

You seen any of his recent stuff? I thought Black or White, 3 Days to Kill and Criminal were all worth a watch.

I don't care if JFK was as historically accurate as Braveheart. It was still one of the best films I've ever watched. Costner has never been better, especially in the final courtroom scene.:cool:

I don't care if JFK was as historically accurate as Braveheart. It was still one of the best films I've ever watched. Costner has never been better, especially in the final courtroom scene.:cool:

JFK is what it is. Stone has been open about the fact that his first loyalty was to telling a good story, not being historically accurate.

I have it on Blu-Ray but haven't watched it in quite some time. I should probably give it another look soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back