Movies Tom Hardy Reportedly Is the Next James Bond

What do you think of Tom Hard as the next James Bond?

• Total voters
Haha. Moonraker Bond was 37. I know I'm old as dirt and prefer older men looks wise but I think Hardy's fine at 43, he's such a handsome devil.
yeah I’m kidding he’s in his mid fifties

I mean, Tom Hardy’s frikkin’ great, don’t get me wrong... but I’m kinda tempted to burn down whatever is left of Portland & Minneapolis, while screaming IDRIS ELBA MATTERS.
74864d0a7920067de6c47dc22d2eb670.gif

Thats really what Bond to most of the public, suave confident middle aged upper class brit.

The main issue I think you could have with Hardy is he's not so obviously suave as the other Bonds, he's tended to play much more unbalanced characters. Not automatically a bad thing I spose, a genuinely messed up Bond could be fun to watch although it would need a quality script/director not just trying to plug into the standard formula.

Yeah, I agree, but that could just be due to the roles he has gotten. He's a great actor, so maybe he will adopt seamlessly. I agree that it has too be written very well. Seems like it's more demanding to get a quality movie with every addition. With every movie the chance of it being repetitive likely increases.

Saw Clive Owen at the same terminal on the same day. Other half and I speculated that they were both off to the US to audition for Bond being it was rumoured Clive Owen was considered for Bond as well.

Clive Owens would have been perfect for Bond. Now he's old as shit. He's over forty I think.

Clive Owen was the studio's first choice for Bond before Craig but he turned it down. He didn't want to get locked into playing a single character for a long time.

Really though Bond being outsized by a giant henchmen is one of the franchises biggest tropes, its not like casting Conan.

Yeah, I agree, but that could just be due to the roles he has gotten. He's a great actor, so maybe he will adopt seamlessly. I agree that it has too be written very well. Seems like it's more demanding to get a quality movie with every addition. With every movie the chance of it being repetitive likely increases.

Again i think it would be interesting to see Bond genuinely going over the edge, the franchise has toyed with it since License to Kill but never fully committed to it.

You could argue the Craig Bonds were a response to the Jason Borne films so perhaps the Hardy Bonds might be a response to John Wick?

Last edited:
I don't understand why they would ever cast an established superstar in this role. Movie stars are already sort of a thing of the past. They don't make or break movies. Platforms matter more than marquees. So do franchises. Here, you have a franchise that unquestionably will create an international superstar, so why not use it? Tap one of your rising British talents, and anoint him. Example:

Jack Lowden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Lowden
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4110963/
MV5BOGEyNTFmMTItODFlMS00NzU1LWIxNTgtMzQ5YjkxNzJjMDdmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjYxMjExMDM@._V1_.jpg

I don't understand why they would ever cast an established superstar in this role. Movie stars are already sort of a thing of the past. They don't make or break movies. Platforms matter more than marquees. So do franchises. Here, you have a franchise that unquestionably will create an international superstar, so why not use it? Tap one of your rising British talents, and anoint him.

I'd say these days it tends to be a certain actor playing a certain character that draws money, people want to see Downy Jnr as Stark or Helmsworth as Thor, remove either side of that equation and the interest drops. That said I think you could argue Marvel based alot of their sucess casting people "on the way up" who werent really associated with a previous role that strongly. I don't think Hardy is quite like DC casting Will Smith and Affleck on the way down but people do remember him as Max and Bane quite strongly.

He is around 5'9" which would make him vertically challenged.
If Bond isn't 6'0"+ I'm not taking the franchise seriously.

And not the kind of 6'0" that requires Humphrey Bogart movie magic.

In an ideal world where I could build a new Bond casting like it's some video game character creation screen I want him to be younger side (early 30's), non big name actor, British, around 6ft

Connery's casting was perfect for me...31 years old when filming started for the franchise, non big name actor, British, 6'2".

I like Hardy but my main dig on him is his fame now. Too A list for me. If he was going to do it then it should have been done years ago. Same thing with Elba. He would be 50 at least by the time anything would go into production.

Find someone younger and not well known and build a franchise with that instead of these low hanging fruit ones that are now way overdue. Take Wolverine and Hugh Jackman. Russell Crowe was first choice which was a typical Hollywood choice and it was Crowe recommending a younger unknown Jackman that led to a great casting.

Clive Owen was the studio's first choice for Bond before Craig but he turned it down. He didn't want to get locked into playing a single character for a long time.
I do like Clive and it remains to be seen because we didn't see him, but I've liked Craig as Bond loads. Clive is maybe more handsome though.

I'm getting excited thinking Tom might be him, was my favourite actor for a while.

Back