Tom Cruise-Like Mask in Eyes Wide Shut

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by errol ansen, Nov 14, 2020.

1. errol ansen Orange Belt Platinum Member

I was watching Eyes Wide Shut for the umpteenth time and noticed that (to me) one of the masks is quite similar to Tom Cruise. Its the scene where Cruise/Harford is brought before the group.

I'm not saying that Kubrick was implying Cruise was involved in wackiness we see in the film, but maybe it was an Easter egg? Kubrick always had many layers in his films and took meticulous measures in his sets, props, and everything else in his films.

[​IMG]

2. BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

The middle guy or the one behind him?

MoparOrNoCar and HughPhug like this.
  3. errol ansen Orange Belt Platinum Member

[​IMG]

Then again, most could say the same about the threads I've made and will make..... <Moves>

4. mrsenor Black Belt

Was tom about to get gangbanged?

Horus likes this.
  5. Zer Steel Belt

Dude in the back looks more like dark side Chris Weidman. Darth Chris Weidman

6. HARRISON_3 Steel Belt

Are you ready to redeem him?

lsa likes this.
  7. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

In one scene where Tom is watching the sexual relations, a fully nude woman leaves her man to approach him and I could tell they had two diff women playing that role based on their boobs and pussy differences.

8. Get To Da Choppa Purple Belt

In my opinion also looks like a incredulous looking Norm McDonald
    [​IMG]

9. koolinkunming Gold Belt

Nail on the head right here

<TheWire1>

Get To Da Choppa likes this.
  10. errol ansen Orange Belt Platinum Member

Pretty Freaky, Is Norm secretly in on the madness??? :eek:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Get To Da Choppa likes this.
  11. errol ansen Orange Belt Platinum Member

A lot of people think he was, I've never fully settled on what was going to happen next, but I'm sure it would not have been enjoyable for Dr. Hartford!

mrsenor likes this.
  12. Screwtape Brown Belt

So the first actress got fired on the walk over?

13. Horus Green Belt

there are more than one or two similarities to that movie in this film clip

Anung Un Rama and BisexualMMA like this.
  14. Tol Blue Belt

May I have the password, please?

[​IMG]

orangecuse and PurpleStorm like this.
  15. moreorless87 Straba

I do think the reason he hired Cruise and Kidman was they were arguably THE glam Hollywood couple at the time and the audiences expectations that had.

The same way he hired Jack for the Shining because he was known as a lovable rogue to audiences so he could sneak in his actually being a total asshole right from the start a bit more.

[​IMG]

BisexualMMA likes this.
  16. moreorless87 Straba

Kubrick was clearly watching Norms SNL new's sketches about the Clintons.

17. PurpleStorm Black Belt

Great movie. There's suggestions that the voice of the masked character who asks for the password is similar to the voice of Sydney Pollack the attorney who tells Cruise to stop investigating the girl's death. During that scene (they're playing pool) there's some other 'duality' type stuff going on as well, like the way Pollack handles the snooker balls and how Cruise declines from playing.

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP likes this.
  18. errol ansen Orange Belt Platinum Member

I love this theory. The lighting in the billiard room, the tapping of billiard balls and chalk, how Pollack moved.

I read that this 13 min billiard scene took 3 weeks and 200 takes to film. Kubrick but a lot of work into all his scenes, but this part obviously was quite important.

==================================================

My goodness, that is something else, I always find myself at great unease when the camera pans around over all the masks. How much power is likely in this room, the control a lot of these characters would likely have over their world. Very unsettling.

Zyklon R, PurpleStorm and Tol like this.
  19. errol ansen Orange Belt Platinum Member

This could very well be true, but Kubrick also had ALOT of power and control over his films, so although it might have been a motive on his part, I doubt there was any pressure from studios, or if there were, that he gave it little thought.

Is there another couple or even unattached actors from the time you would have rather seen in the film?

I am actually a big fan of Cruise, as an actor, and think he was very good in this film. I think his public persona and his self as scientologist, and maybe even rumors around his sexual preferences, would give him a lot to draw from internally as he portrayed the role of someone dealing with so much inside while trying to carry off his persona as a successful doctor and family man. I guess most if not all people have this inner struggle to some degree, but I think Tom was a solid choice and was fantastic.

I also think the part where the frat/college type guys who call him homosexual slurs or whatever was a little on the nose when we consider how much interest is put into his sexual preferences. I'd be willing to bet this is one of the reasons Tom was picked, the amount of study that Kubrick puts into his films and casting is insane.

An often unpopular opinion I have is that Kidman actual gave the weaker of the two performances between them. Tom has a ton more to draw on than Kidman does with her character as a stay at home mom who used to work in the field she enjoys. Although as a woman, even with adopted children, maybe she felt this struggle to some degree, I just don't think the same way Tom may have with similarities to his character over the years. Maybe Tom does all the Mission Impossible stunts and other things to some degree to abate this idea, like Dr. Hartford goes out looking for sexual conquests to prove himself. The more I watch this film, the more I find that no one else could have done as well as Cruise did with the role, especially at the time.

20. moreorless87 Straba

I wasnt saying that Kubrick was forced into hiring Cruise and Kidman, moreso that the choice to do so many have been influenced by their being so well known because this allowed him to play against expectations more. A thriller with them in it would have expectations from the public towards it probably being rather more conventional, that Cruise especially would play a conventional kind of heroic thriller character as he had several times before.

A couple of years before I think Fincher did something similar with The Game hiring Micheal Douglas to play what looked like it could be a similar kind of thriller character to his previous career. Instead it ends up undermining that character, showing how his successful wealthy existence has made him distant and passive.

Both are really character studies posing as thrillers to draw the audience in.

errol ansen likes this.