Tom Clancy's THE DIVISION Starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Chastain (Gets John Wick Co-Director)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Jake Gyllenhaal to Produce and Star in Ubisoft's THE DIVISION Movie

WzI04Me.jpg

Following record-breaking sales, Ubisoft is already developing a movie based on its video game Tom Clancy’s the Division, and now looks to have an A-list star to lead the film.

Sources tell Variety that Jake Gyllenhaal is attached to star in the pic based on the hit video game that has already become Ubisoft’s fastest-selling product.

Gyllenhaal is also attached as a producer, and the studio is currently looking for a writer to pen the adaptation. Ubisoft could not be reached for comment.

The third-person shooter is set in a dystopian New York City in the aftermath of a smallpox pandemic. The player, who is an agent of the Strategic Homeland Division, commonly referred to as simply “The Division,” is tasked with helping to rebuild the Division’s operations in Manhattan, investigating the nature of the outbreak and combating criminal activity in its wake.

Early reports had the game reaching $330 million dollars in sales in just five days, and that number has surely grown in recent weeks. Ubisoft will package the project, possibly adding one more actor to the mix before taking it out to studios. It currently has Assassin’s Creed starring Michael Fassbender in post-production at Fox and New Regency as well as Splinter Cell starring Tom Hardy at Paramount.

Jake Gyllenhaal to Star in Ubisoft’s ‘The Division’ Movie (Exclusive)

Jake-Gyllenhaal-The-Division-2-Dragonlord.jpg

Following record-breaking sales, Ubisoft is already developing a movie based on its video game Tom Clancy’s the Division, and now looks to have an A-list star to lead the film.

Sources tell Variety that Jake Gyllenhaal is attached to star in the pic based on the hit video game that has already become Ubisoft’s fastest-selling product.

Gyllenhaal is also attached as a producer, and the studio is currently looking for a writer to pen the adaptation. Ubisoft could not be reached for comment.

The third-person shooter is set in a dystopian New York City in the aftermath of a smallpox pandemic. The player, who is an agent of the Strategic Homeland Division, commonly referred to as simply “The Division,” is tasked with helping to rebuild the Division’s operations in Manhattan, investigating the nature of the outbreak and combating criminal activity in its wake.

Early reports had the game reaching $330 million dollars in sales in just five days, and that number has surely grown in recent weeks. Ubisoft will package the project, possibly adding one more actor to the mix before taking it out to studios. It currently has Assassin’s Creed starring Michael Fassbender in post-production at Fox and New Regency as well as Splinter Cell starring Tom Hardy at Paramount.

But...why?

Why are they making a movie about that piece of shit game?

I'd watch a The Division movie tbh, i mean the game is fun and its an awesome experience even if it needs some work, its not perfect but its great and the story is crazy legit

Surprised to see him doing another video game movie after Prince of Persia...

Update: July 26, 2016

Jessica Chastain in Talks to Join Jake Gyllenhaal in THE DIVISION

GuDxvRI.jpg

Jessica Chastain is in negotiations to join Jake Gyllenhaal in The Division, Ubisoft Motion Pictures’ adaptation of its own hit video game. Gyllenhaal is producing the project with Ubisoft’s Gerard Guillemot.

The storyline is set in dystopian New York City after a smallpox pandemic. In the third-person shooter game, the player is an agent of the Strategic Homeland Division, aka The Division, and is searching for the origins of the outbreak.

Ubisoft is packaging the project before taking it to studios. It’s a process that has been effective for the company, which set up Assassin’s Creed starring Michael Fassbender at Fox and Regency (now in postproduction) and Splinter Cell with Tom Hardy at Paramount.

The twice Oscar-nominated Chastain will be seen toplining Europacorp’s Miss Sloane, a gun-rights drama that has an awards-season-minded release date of Dec. 9, and also will star opposite Daniel Bruhl in the World War II drama The Zookeeper’s Wife. The actress also will soon tackle the lead in Aaron Sorkin’s adaptation of Hollywood gambling drama Molly’s Game with Idris Elba.

Jessica Chastain in Talks to Join Jake Gyllenhaal in Ubisoft's 'The Division' (Exclusive)

Still not really sold on this as a movie series if I am honest.

If this was a movie series before I ever touched the game, I'd be more down... maybe.

But as it stands, it doesn't matter how good the movie is because I will forever associate it with one of the most frustrating, tedious, boring, and salt-producing gaming experiences I've ever had. I refuse to watch this for the sole reason that I don't want to give Ubisoft another goddamn cent of my money, in any way, shape, or form.

Fuck Ubisoft. Fuck The Division.

I never played the game but it looks awesome ... Jake kicks ass so the combination of the 2 will produce high expectations ... im in.

lmao

Danai+Gurira+13th+Annual+AFI+Awards+Arrivals+gyMnA_jHEBXl.jpg

Danai Gurira As.....

TheDivisionLaRaeBennett.jpg

Larae Barrett

I am a Gyllenwhore so I will see this anyway, but I was going to buy the game until I heard about how much of a debacle it turned out to be.

Maybe the story really is worth salvaging?

I am a Gyllenwhore so I will see this anyway, but I was going to buy the game until I heard about how much of a debacle it turned out to be.

Maybe the story really is worth salvaging?
I think the story would be 100% worth salvaging... if you don't call the movie "The Division". Kinda like how the Olyphant Hitman movie would be considered a decent action flick if he wasn't called "47" the whole movie and it wasn't called "Hitman"

As much as I wound up hating the game, I could see a movie adaption being a good summer action flick.

I can see this being a really good summer movie if done properly.

Update: January 20, 2017

SYRIANA's Stephen Gaghan to Write and Direct THE DIVISION Movie

HQ77p9Q.jpg

Gold and Syriana director Stephen Gaghan is attaching himself to write and direct Ubisoft’s adaptation of its popular video game The Division starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Chastain.

Developed and published by Ubisoft’s Massive Entertainment, the third-person shooter is set in a dystopian New York City in the aftermath of a smallpox pandemic. The player, who is an agent of the Strategic Homeland Division, commonly referred to as simply “The Division,” is tasked with helping to rebuild the Division’s operations in Manhattan, investigating the nature of the outbreak and combating criminal activity in its wake.

Ubisoft will package the project shopping it to studios. It currently has Splinter Cell, starring Tom Hardy, at New Regency and Fox.

Though he isn’t known for action-heavy tentpoles, the game does touch on global issues that would allow Gaghan to jump from that commentary to the intense set pieces that the game is known for.

Stephen Gaghan to Direct ‘The Division’ Movie Starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Chastain (Exclusive)

The Division! Cannot wait for this monster.

One of the most devisive games of last year. It's still a pretty good game but there are better games to adapt honestly.

Fucking Tom Clancy. He's one of those authors whose books I've seen thousands of times but never managed to read, and considering his volume of work I'm surprised there aren't more adaptations of most of his novels.

Back