Today...I realised how good Fedor really was

MMA as a whole hasn't evolved to Fedors level. Time and lack of hunger for the fight game caught up to him. Nothing left to prove..got careless.

People who've been fans for a year or less shouldn't even be taking part in the GOAT discussion or even think about that kinda stuff. Those people don't know enough

You point out possible the craziest thing about Fedor. By today's standards he should have been fighting at LHW. He hovered between 220-230, usually at the lower end of that, and dominated bigger men consistently. Though there are more complete fighters now who have the potential un unseat him the state of the sport at the time is a factor in the GOAT and Fedor's still it for me.

Gotta say though prime Fedor would still have problems with DC. On paper the way to beat Fedor was a large man who could slow him down, outgrapple him and neutralize those wild hips of his guard (aka the Bigfoot model).

I think prime Fedor actually would give DC a lot of problems and would finish him, he would be faster, have better stand up, be dangerous in the clinch with throws and trips and would be a threat to finish DC with submissions either on top or on the bottom and his GnP was vicious. Honestly I think if Fedor would have fought him in 2010-2011 and fought him patiently it would have been a very close fight.

Fedor is the HW goat, in his prime he would've wrecked Lesnar and Couture if he was in the UFC guaranteed. His speed for a HW is unheard of, and he hits hard and hits fast, and he has the most devastating GNP from full guard, something we don't see too much of nowadays, and lets not forget his submission game is also top notch along with his world class sambo.

We only have the Cain losses to work off of as far as weaknesses go but I don't think he would have done well against Fedor. Fedor was insanely good at clinch takedowns and it seems that is where JDS has the most trouble. Both had amazingly good chins. Fedor would have never exchanged extensively with JDS in his prime. I think Fedor would whittle him down with with GNP after back and forth hands on the feet. Fedor may have mixed a few kicks in to gain a slight advantage. Then initiated clinch takedowns. JDS has show he can be controlled on the ground (if you can get him there) by a very strong position grappler. He lost steam both times he started eating heavy GNP from Cain. Despite how strong Cain's overall game is I don't think he compares anywhere near to the power of Fedor's GNP.

Good post, this is a breakdown by a guy that watched Fedor at his best and not just during his decline like most people who question how good Fedor was.

No. Just no.

He would DESTROY Werdum in a re-match. He should have had Werdum stand back up, instead of going to the ground with him, and that fight is his via KO. Period.

Saying Fedor shouldn't have jumped into Werdum's guard is like saying Anderson shouldn't have tried to clown Weidman.

It's what they do.

susumu12.jpg

You point out possible the craziest thing about Fedor. By today's standards he should have been fighting at LHW. He hovered between 220-230, usually at the lower end of that, and dominated bigger men consistently. Though there are more complete fighters now who have the potential un unseat him the state of the sport at the time is a factor in the GOAT and Fedor's still it for me.

Gotta say though prime Fedor would still have problems with DC. On paper the way to beat Fedor was a large man who could slow him down, outgrapple him and neutralize those wild hips of his guard (aka the Bigfoot model).

If Fedor could have been a LHW then so could have CC, Nog and most of his notable wins. Most of the top hws hovered between 220 and 240.

welcome to the club, comrade.

Welcome aboard! Those who have experienced 'Fedor' know. The energy that surrounded his fights was simply unreal.

No it hasn't, he got older, didn't train like he used to, turned into a head hunter, got a bit slower and his reaction time slowed a bit as well. Fedor at his peak was more well rounded than any HW today and was a threat to finish the fight wherever it went, you can't say that about any HW today except maybe Werdum but his striking and KO power isn't even close to Fedor's.

We forgetting about Cain?

That being said, I am not in the category who thinks he would beat modern HW top 5s. What made Fedor great for me was not just his fight, but his personality and that strange aura he had. Like the silence preceding a violent storm.

Yes, all one needs to do is watch him compete. Truely, an amazing experience

We forgetting about Cain?

Nope, Cain is not as well rounded as Fedor was, he lacked his submission game and his clinch game and his transitions aren't as good as Fedor's were, and his GnP from the guard wasn't either. He's a better wrestler for sure and pushes a faster pace and has slightly better cardio though.

DC and Cain are similar to Fedor but they have better wrestling but aren't as well rounded.

Yes, Fedor was a monster. Props for actually watching his fights.

Back