Today...I realised how good Fedor really was

JDS and Cain pwn prime Fedor. But Fedor is still second best of all time, after Anderson, taking into account how much the sport has evolved.

No. Just no.

He would DESTROY Werdum in a re-match. He should have had Werdum stand back up, instead of going to the ground with him, and that fight is his via KO. Period.

So all of a sudden, Fedor "Mike Tyson" his opponents?

Only filthy casuals, don't take the time to watch the goat in action.

Style wise, anyone else think Fedor would have more problems with JDS than with Cain?

I think prime Fedor could take Cain but JDS would give him problems.

I think so. JDS has incredible takedown defense and if it wasn't for Cain's elite MMA wrestling skills and insane endurance JDS would still be the champion.

I think Cain's aggressiveness opens him up for Fedor to submit him and he can be knocked out. I don't care if it was JDS who did it. It's the heavyweight division and everyone is vulnerable on their feet.

I love Fedor. I believe that if he would have worked with other camps and been more open to training at other high level gyms ... instead of staying at only at Red Devil ... he could have been so much more.
patience cost him in the Werdum and Henderson fight. If he would have waited instead of going for the kill i believe he would have won ... but that killer instinct and desire to finish is what made his fights awesome! he could have stalled like so many today do and try to win by points but he wanted the finish and this put him in bad situations later in his career.
And with Bigfoot ...I am unsure but i dont think he trained with any large HW's. It looks like he believed that he was better then Bigfoot and he relied on his belief in his skill.

I love Fedor. I believe that if he would have worked with other camps and been more open to training at other high level gyms ... instead of staying at only at Red Devil ... he could have been so much more.
patience cost him in the Werdum and Henderson fight. If he would have waited instead of going for the kill i believe he would have won ... but that killer instinct and desire to finish is what made his fights awesome! he could have stalled like so many today do and try to win by points but he wanted the finish and this put him in bad situations later in his career.
And with Bigfoot ...I am unsure but i dont think he trained with any large HW's. It looks like he believed that he was better then Bigfoot and he relied on his belief in his skill.

I agree he didn't evolve like Silva or GSP in their later years and it cost him. I think he just lost the hunger and the desire to fight. He even got into politics and was deep into religion by that time.

I fully support this thread, newer fans would support him more had they seen more of his fights

TS, watch the Fujita fight if you haven't already. It's a good brawl that shows how quickly he could finish a fight even when in big trouble.

At which point of his carreer did he stop the weight training? Was he still in pride?

Fedor was a great figher, however, the game has past him by. I think the top 5 HW in the UFC would beat him.

you put a smile on my dial with this retarded post

Fedor was a great figher, however, the game has past him by. I think the top 5 HW in the UFC would beat him.

Cain would probably take him.

I think JDS is tailor made to LOSE to Fedor. Fedor had amazing brawling technique. His style was basically the same way Cain fought JDS in the 2nd and 3rd fight but more polished.

Same with Miococ.

Outside of that I think a PRIME Fedor handily defeats Werdum (remember, I said PRIME Fedor), BigFoot, Browne and most other HWs.

On a side note, I would love to seea prime Fedor v Big Country. Fedor should win but it is a good style match up.

So the main point of evolution of mma is to not put yourself in any dangerous positions and grind out a win, even if you are boring.
Because other than people training their strength and conditioning more, that's the major change I've seen in the octagon. Techniques are getting sharper too.
Here's the major transitions I noticed happening:
Post Royce era, fighters learns jujitsu.
Post Tito era fighters learn more wrestling.
Post Chuck era fighters learn overhand right.
Post Machida/Anderson era fighters learn to move their feet and that angles exist.
Post Jones era (suspect we'll see more of) mixing up strikes and pushing the envelope on potentially dirty tactics. Anything to win.
___
I don't see how people have evolved more than Fedors well rounded skill set yet. He's slowing down and is easier to deal with though.

Would you care to explain to us exactly how the game "past him by"?

Cain would probably take him.

I think JDS is tailor made to LOSE to Fedor. Fedor had amazing brawling technique. His style was basically the same way Cain fought JDS in the 2nd and 3rd fight but more polished.

Same with Miococ.

Outside of that I think a PRIME Fedor handily defeats Werdum (remember, I said PRIME Fedor), BigFoot, Browne and most other HWs.

On a side note, I would love to seea prime Fedor v Big Country. Fedor should win but it is a good style match up.

Fedor/Cain is IMHO a big unknown as the grappling is hard to gauge, can Cain get him down and threaten with GnP or just control him without being at risk from subs? we can't really point to any fights were he's faced someone similar, Werdum will certainly be interesting if it hits the ground.

Fedor/JDS whilst obviously a slightly different style matchup to JDS/Cain is as you say pretty close, Fedor pushing under Jnr's bombs and unloading on him as he backs up does seem likely.

I always wonder how much better Fedor would be if he got the high tech sports training/dieting and trained at a top level gym like these guys do now days.

Back