Today...I realised how good Fedor really was

Lots of people understimating Prime Fedor here..
Guy would have mauled JDS and almost everyone on the current top ten...
The fact that guy like Werdum or Barnett are still in the top 10 being competitive says a lot..
The only guy I would give a good chance at beating him is Cain, and maybe a HW DC with a lay and pray gameplan..

And for those who are saying current LHW would be too fast for him, they really need to see some of his early fights, circa 2002-2006 Pride Fedor was faster than most LHW, Jones included

Prime Fedor was awesome.

He was basically a combination of Cain (takedowns, aggresiveness, vicious GNP) and Mir (left field submissions, creativity).

I wonder why we haven't seen another HW like him since. Cain has the viciousness but is missing the entire submission aspect which was one of the most exciting aspects of watching Fedor fight. Fedor was "like water" when he fought. Unpredictable and constantly adjusting on the fly. When you watch Cain, it's more workman-like. He has a clear gameplan and applies that same gameplan with great efficiency but little variety.

Last edited:
Prime Fedor would humiliate Cain Velasquez. It would be a mismatch of epic proportions, I could image Fedoor landing bombs on Cain's chin then choking him out for the finish.

Prime Fedor would humiliate Cain Velasquez. It would be a mismatch of epic proportions, I could image Fedoor landing bombs on Cain's chin then choking him out for the finish.

Heheh no just no. The prime Fedor is a myth. He was still a young guy when his downfall began.

So the main point of evolution of mma is to not put yourself in any dangerous positions and grind out a win, even if you are boring.
Because other than people training their strength and conditioning more, that's the major change I've seen in the octagon. Techniques are getting sharper too.
Here's the major transitions I noticed happening:
Post Royce era, fighters learns jujitsu.
Post Tito era fighters learn more wrestling.
Post Chuck era fighters learn overhand right.
Post Machida/Anderson era fighters learn to move their feet and that angles exist.
Post Jones era (suspect we'll see more of) mixing up strikes and pushing the envelope on potentially dirty tactics. Anything to win.
___
I don't see how people have evolved more than Fedors well rounded skill set yet. He's slowing down and is easier to deal with though.

The MFS era changed everything and we're still feeling it. All the complaining we do (except for Jones) is because fighters still use their blueprint.

lol whut.

Nog didn't sub him until after the 10 minute first round, after getting saved by the bell.

The Randleman KO could happen to anybody. It's mma. A prime GSP was KO'd by Serra, does that mean GSP sucks? Both avenged their fluke losses.

The Wanderlei draw was under special rules. He killed Wand in the rematch.

He was past his prime by the time of the Gonzaga fight.

The arguments you use are so silly that you must be trolling, mang.

Nog- he sub's him about 5 secs after hitting the ground is what I meant

Randleman- Sure

Wand- sure

Gonzaga- Hard to argue that considering he just won the grand prix

Prime Fedor was awesome.

He was basically a combination of Cain (takedowns, aggresiveness, vicious GNP) and Mir (left field submissions, creativity).

I wonder why we haven't seen another HW like him since. Cain has the viciousness but is missing the entire submission aspect which was one of the most exciting aspects of watching Fedor fight. Fedor was "like water" when he fought. Unpredictable and constantly adjusting on the fly. When you watch Cain, it's more workman-like. He has a clear gameplan and applies that same gameplan with great efficiency but little variety.

I'd say part of the reason is that the sport isn't really attracting the same level of talent from Europe as it was back in the day.

You consider in the early 00's you had Fedor, Crocop, Sergei, Aleks, Arlovski, Igor, Semmy etc at HW and you could argue that was really the backbone of the division.

Add to that the change in environment and Fedor himself being a bit of a one off with unique physical/mental gifts like Jones or Anderson.

He's the GOAT HW and one of the greatest fighters of all time for sure.

Lots of people understimating Prime Fedor here..
Guy would have mauled JDS and almost everyone on the current top ten...
The fact that guy like Werdum or Barnett are still in the top 10 being competitive says a lot..
The only guy I would give a good chance at beating him is Cain, and maybe a HW DC with a lay and pray gameplan..

And for those who are saying current LHW would be too fast for him, they really need to see some of his early fights, circa 2002-2006 Pride Fedor was faster than most LHW, Jones included

He was just murdered by Browne and was previously thoroughly dominated by Cormier. His last win is over Mir. Think about that for a second.

And no, Fedor was not faster than most LHWs. He was very fast for a HW, but just no.

Fedor was a great figher, however, the game has past him by. I think the top 5 HW in the UFC would beat him.

The game have been the same the last 10 years.

Fedor aged and decline, today in his phisically prime he'd be still the GOAT.

Back