To win a fight

Ufc_unleashed

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey i have an upcoming fight in either march or april and i had a fight 2 years ago around the same time and i have really good overall skills i knew i could have beat the guy before but i kind of chocked but it was my first fight and the guy i was facing was 8-0 and outweighed me by 25 pounds so im just wondering for the next fight how shouldi prepare my self mentally? because i have really good pHYSICAL SKILLS

To prepare yourself mentally, try not to focus on your opponents advantages and your disadvantages. Instead, focus on whatever gameplan you have coming in and your strengths. And you'd better have a gameplan.

CowboyPete said:
To prepare yourself mentally, try not to focus on your opponents advantages and your disadvantages. Instead, focus on whatever gameplan you have coming in and your strengths. And you'd better have a gameplan.

Well im well rounded so my game plan is if he is a ground guy im gunna use my take down defence and knock him out and if he is a really good stand up guy i will stand with him and if he overpowers me there than i will pick him up and slam him on his head try for a ko but if that doesnt work ill probably go get the top mount punish him some and then go for a sub like and arm trianle a armbar rear naked ect.

But i want to know how to get all of those butter flys out of my stomach and sleep well the day before my fight you know what i mean and Just feel invincible I WANT TO WIN MORE THAN ANYTHING.

I use sleeping pills the night before. Other things that will help you sleep are to stretch before sleeping, and to relax your mind and allow your thoughts to sort of float instead of focusing on a particular fact (especially the upcoming fight). I like to close my eyes and mentally draw images of planets or something else vague, puts me right to sleep.

I also take caffeine before fights. This gets me excited and helps me turn nervous energy into focus. But this may or may not work for you.

A lot of fighters also build focus by doing visualization shortly before the fight: visualizing confidently climbing into the ring/octagon, the referee starting the fight, yourself perfectly executing your gameplan, and then the referee holding your hand up in victory at the end of the fight.

It is very helpful, in my experience, to have a trainer with you before the fight warming up your standup, ground, sprawl, clinch, etc. skills so that you will feel as if each element of your game is warmed up and ready to be used. You can also take that opportunity to discuss your gameplan with him; verbalizing it will build mental confidence in that plan. Your partner should also be encouraging you the entire time, boosting your confidence level.

Back