To those who still think Conor doesn't deserve a title shot

Exactly. And if someone tells me that he's not excited about Aldo vs McGregor, he's a fucking liar.

McGregor detractors are among the worst in terms of their ability to deny reality. McGregor is - quite clearly - the biggest threat to Aldo at 145.

Agree with TS, changed my mind. But I still do not like the direction the UFC is taking with the incentive to trash-talking and circus nonsense.

Number 5 in the world beats the number 10 and qualifies for a title shot .

Yes totally justified!

I think oddly enough, before Conor was number 5 he was number 10.
And then he beat a number 4 or number 5 guy in Poirier.

I think this fight against Siver was hoping he looked really good to hype a fight with Aldo more than if he came in off 4 wins (five is the best streak at 145 outside the champion)

Number 5 in the world beats the number 10 and qualifies for a title shot .

Yes totally justified!

The bar is lower when the champ has cleaned out the division. It helps that he's made it look VERY easy against two highly ranked opponents in a row. If he struggled with Siver, or dropped a round, I'd probably want to see more, but it was obvious that he's on another level from Siver.

Funny people say he doesn't deserve the shot, when anyone who is without bias can see he is very talented. Jones wasn't necessarily "deserving" when he fought Shogun, in accordance with most people's line of thinking. I mean, he was 5-1 (but we can throw out the DQ, we know he would have won anyways). Yeah, to earn a title shot Jones went through the murderers row of Stephan Bonnar, Jake O'Brian, Brandon Vera, Vlady Matyushenko, and Ryan Bader. Jones went on to destroy the champion, although, according to Sherdog's line of thinking, he shouldn't have even been there.

Five wins, one decision, four finishes, "undeserving." Sounds oddly familiar, Sherdog.

I think Conor deserve the titleshot only because everyone else above him already lost to Aldo. Conor has a very good chance to beat Aldo but watching last night....I don't think he would want to move up. He's good at using his size but he will be an average size LW. It would be hard for him to break top 5 on LW.

Funny people say he doesn't deserve the shot, when anyone who is without bias can see he is very talented. Jones wasn't necessarily "deserving" when he fought Shogun, in accordance with most people's line of thinking. I mean, he was 5-1 (but we can throw out the DQ, we know he would have won anyways). Yeah, to earn a title shot Jones went through the murderers row of Stephan Bonnar, Jake O'Brian, Brandon Vera, Vlady Matyushenko, and Ryan Bader. Jones went on to destroy the champion, although, according to Sherdog's line of thinking, he shouldn't have even been there.

Five wins, one decision, four finishes, "undeserving." Sounds oddly familiar, Sherdog.

Oddly enough, they gave Jones the shot because Rashad was injured.
Had Rashad stayed healthy, there is no telling how history would have been rewritten.

Let me see your list of factors that should go into a title shot. If you can rank them of importance even better.

So I ranked them by importance:

- Having a winning streak of quality opponent, and not necessarily Top 5 guys (Jones, Gus and Weidman would have never earned a title shot)

- Being ranked in the top 10

- Showing finishing abilities and having an exciting style

- Being the guy that fans want to watch for the title

- Being marketable and known from the casual fans

So what's yours ?

This type of thread shouldn't exist on Sherdog.

If you're posting here, you should know title fights aren't based upon who "deserves" it record-wise.

The bar is lower when the champ has cleaned out the division. It helps that he's made it look VERY easy against two highly ranked opponents in a row. If he struggled with Siver, or dropped a round, I'd probably want to see more, but it was obvious that he's on another level from Siver.

Aldo has, Connor has not yet . I would think that he needs a win against a top 3 first and I do like Connor.

You need to beat Someone ranked higher than yourself and this was a shortcut for the UFC to make lots of money fast. It wasn't about doing whatbthe fighters really deserve and what's right.

Aldo needs a fresh opponent. Conor's style is different than the styles Aldo typically has to deal with. This os all about seeing what Aldo can do with a dynamic striker. Its a great match up and will be a great fight for fans.

Connor is next for the shot, but the thing is, he is only next as Aldo has already beaten all other potential contenders, who Connor has not even faced yet, most of them top five guys.

Connor has worked hard to promote himself, so he deserves it that way I guess.

You write truth, the squeaky wheel gets the oil and Conor squeaks a lot. I will not deny his ability to self promote and generate interest in his fights. Although I do feel Conor was given a rose petal path to the belt, he has enough fandom around him to sell the fight and enough skill to actually fight the fight.

I'm not a complete hater of McGregor but I will be supporting Aldo for the spanking of McGregor.

Aldo has, Connor has not yet . I would think that he needs a win against a top 3 first and I do like Connor.

You need to beat Someone ranked higher than yourself and this was a shortcut for the UFC to make lots of money fast. It wasn't about doing whatbthe fighters really deserve and what's right.

Why? All the top ranked guys had their shot already and Aldo took them apart. Get some new blood in there.

There's no official ranking system anywhere that I've ever seen. There's a lot of bro-science about who's where but that's it. McGregor's taken out some legitimate guys and done it well. Aldo hasn't already beat him in recent memory, so why not give the Irishman his shot?

And whether it's to see him win or see him lose, everyone on here will tune in to watch that fight.

It's the only fight that makes sense in the division after RDA, honestly.

You failed to make your case to me by only using one almost insignificant concept. There are far more factors when it comes to getting a title shot and unfortunately for those of us who are not into the hype over sport Conor fails nearly every test.

He talked his way into it, plain and simple. Good for him and we need new fans to get excited about MMA, but don't try to sell me on actual accomplishments in this sport to justify his position in the company.

Destroying all his opponents is hype? Are you still among the very rare person who still thinks conor is hype?.. Why conor is laying over a ko'd aldo, is that going to finally put you in reality?

the difference is that conor is an outgoing person that hypes himself up and people apparently hate when guys promote themselves, therefore they will try and tarnish anything that person does and constantly hate no matter how good they look

the Zuffa hate clouds the vision of many, creates bias.

Even fighters, who granted have to be delusional to some extent, make the same mistake of focusing on the talk and ignoring what he can do.

The bad thing for Conor's opponents thus far has been complimenting his skill after they've lost, not before the fight in camp, where it matters. Caught up with the talk, show up emotional and dismissive of his skills, get beat up.

I can see McGregor winning against Aldo because both are strikers and anything can happen in a slugfest, but i dont see McGregor winning against FrankIe Edgar or Chad Mendes because of the wrestling.

How often do top contenders fight each other in a title eliminator to get the shot? The answer is, hardly ever. Even if Conor was not a master of self-promotion, he'd still have a good chance at getting the shot, considering how dominant he has been in the octagon.

How often do top contenders fight each other in a title eliminator to get the shot? The answer is, hardly ever. Even if Conor was not a master of self-promotion, he'd still have a good chance at getting the shot, considering how dominant he has been in the octagon.

actually that happens quite frequently, look at Rumble/Gus, Hendrix/Brown, Rory/Lombard, hell even Cerrone/Bendo III.
It even happened at 145 with EdgaR/Cub.

I'm not saying that Aldo/Conor shouldn't be made, it's really the only fight to make at this point at 145.

If he deserved a title shot "after" beating an over the hill Siver...then he deserved the shot "before" the Siver fight.......anyone who thinks this defeat of a 12/1 underdog was the deciding factor is smoking some great weed.

Can you imagine the logic? Well, we think he deserves a title shot, but we're not quite sure...perhaps if he can defeat a 36 year old guy who already lost 9 times to guys worse than Conor....he'll be a double digit under dog...yeah, that would be a good determination as to whether he deserves the shot at the title.....c'mon man.

Dana White might be a good blackjack player but he's a horrible liar....Conor means money, thats why he gets the shot at Aldo instead of Edgar....and White prays for Conor to win because its MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back