to those that Work all day and train at Night...

JH34PG

White Belt
Reaction score
how do you do it?

I'm up everyday at 7am...working hard all day and then jiu jitsu at 7pm...im just so physically and mentally drained lately that my training has sucked...

any suggestions?

5 hour energy on days I just can't seem to find the energy naturally.

I'm up 4:30 am and sleep at night around 12, so always less than 5 hours of sleep. I drink lots of coffee to have the energy to train. I'm insomiac! :)

I'm in the same boat as you. I had a week's vacation recently and I just stayed home and trained. It was so easy to make it to the morning classes, I really envy guys whose schedules allow them such a luxury. It is super easy to find motivation and energy to get to training when you first wake up, that is the most energy you will have all day...everything after that is downhill.

I get up around 5:45 or so and leave around 6AM everyday. Usually I get home around 5 PM, but sometimes later (Like today 7PM). And I just sat down here when I got home and haven't moved, there is no way I could have found the energy to drive 20 mins train and drive back just in time to shower and sleep so that I can get up at 5:45 again.

As a shitty hobbyist blue belt, I'll save my training for days I can handle it. :)

You ignore your family and such, generally you don't spend as much energy on the people around you, so being selfish and barely attending to such matters, you have a little "energy on reserve".

That's what I notice.

So, let's say you're a family man: Go to work. Stop home and flip off the wife as she struggles with kids, pack up dinner she made, off to train. That's the formula.

I work from 8:30 to 5:30 everyday and train 3 times a week from 7:30 to 9. The best routine for me is I get home at 6 make some dinner real quick which Im usually done eating by about 6:30 then take a 15 minute nap before leaving for the gym at 7:15. The nap really helps me restore a lot of energy and wakes me up enough to get to the gym.

I find thinking about the more fun parts of training near the end of the work day helps a lot too because i used to be like "damn I gotta go and warm-up then do like this many armbars ugh I just don't feel like going".

ive tried energy products..end up not sleeping at night...messing up sleeping schedule

True. I've been up late even after a long workout. I try not to take energy drinks after 5pm.

If I can squeeze in a mid day nap, that usually helps me also.

15 minute nap after work. It feels like it resets the body.

im in the same boat you are.. i didn't think it would really make much of a difference until i took a week and a half of work off and continued to train like normal.

i felt like king of the mat until i had to work again.. deff takes a toll on you mentally..

just stick with it and keep pushing yourself. i've added a run to the end of my workout and it has really helped me. it might seem like your going to be over training but if it helps to train your body to accept the fact your workout isnt over at the end of class. now instead of looking at the clock during end of class rolling sessions i'm staring at the end of the track excited to see my car again knowing it's time head home for a shower. i usually end my run feeling better than i did when i ended my work out by stepping off the mat HA

You ignore your family and such, generally you don't spend as much energy on the people around you, so being selfish and barely attending to such matters, you have a little "energy on reserve".

That's what I notice.

So, let's say you're a family man: Go to work. Stop home and flip off the wife as she struggles with kids, pack up dinner she made, off to train. That's the formula.

My wife flips me off just to get me out of her way...i'm doing her a favor !!

I don't know what your diet is like, but make sure you have a good healthy diet, take a good multi-vitamin as well. Good rules of thumb is to stay away from products made with white flour, and refined sugar. Natural sugar is more acceptable. Also make sure you get plenty of sleep. I do full time school with part time work and I train BJJ 6 days a week plus some swimming and I'm not even sore or that worn out by the end of the day. You just gotta prioritize, and don't be afraid to take an hour nap or so. Make sure you are drinking water a lot too, its good for you.

Stay away from energy drinks too. If you need energy, drink some green tea and/or eat fruit.

This all from my personal experiences. Hope it helps.

I feel ya man. I leave the house at 7:20, get home 6:30 or 6:45, wednesdays I train at 7-9. That alone isn't THAT bad, the bigger problem is that it leaves me with zero time for anything else. Laundry, groceries, making food... it is very draining.

Diet helps improve energy
sleep well --- no caffeine (maybe green tea or yerba mate) after lunch

lawyer... so I basically have to drink coffee to some extent given my schedule. Work from first thing in the morning, go to class and am working at night as well plenty of the time. Shit sucks. Last night we did situational sparring for an hour. I'm getting ready for the Asian open and so I was dealing with our better guys and with whitebelts they were rotating in fresh guys. I thought I was going to puke after class and a lot of that was just lack of sleep.

That said, there is something to be gained from going to class when you're just exhausted. You rely on technique and push yourself. Then, when you train on a Saturday/Sunday and have a good night's rest and plenty of energy, it's like unhitching the trailer and you can step the whole game up.

The key is just to GET to the gym. The main problem I think most people with time-consuming jobs have is that the day has been long and they fight themselves about whether to trudge out to the gym. GO, always go no matter how tired you are at the end of the work day. You'll be glad you did.

I only train once during the work week (Tuesday) then a marathon 3 hour class on Saturdays. Weight training Monday Wednesday and Fridays. Mountain bike Sunday morning on off road trails (killer cardio). I am beat by the end of the week. It's def hard to balance work, family and training. I drink lots of coffee too, but should really just sleep more. I have been taking supplements lately and they have actually helped my energy level.

My energy is not so much a problem as the constant injuries I am getting lately.

Eat healthier, maximize your resting/sleep when able, and put down worthless energy drinks.

The short term gain negate the long term effects such as caffiene addiction etc.

The key is just to GET to the gym.

I agree. That's half the battle. Once I get there, I find that I'm not tired anymore. Probably because its fun and also people are trying to kick your ass.

I work from 8:30 to 5:30 everyday and train 3 times a week from 7:30 to 9. The best routine for me is I get home at 6 make some dinner real quick which Im usually done eating by about 6:30 then take a 15 minute nap before leaving for the gym at 7:15. The nap really helps me restore a lot of energy and wakes me up enough to get to the gym.

I find thinking about the more fun parts of training near the end of the work day helps a lot too because i used to be like "damn I gotta go and warm-up then do like this many armbars ugh I just don't feel like going".

How do you handle eating so early before class? I can't eat within two hours or I feel like it'll come back up when exercising and drilling.

Back