To the fat person googling jiu jitsu...

I always have had trouble sticking to a diet, and I was never even that fat - I mean, I was definitely carrying a bunch of extra weight, but I wasn't the sort of person you couldn't physically sit next to on a bus or whatever. After a year of judo and BJJ, for most of which I wasn't really dieting very hard, not being a "fat guy" is within sight, and unlike the times that I've lost weight and then put it back on, it doesn't feel tenuous - I'm not going to give up the martial arts, they're too fun.

The article is right, that the whole "I need to lose weight before I can be physically active" mindset is a problem. Because, let's face it, sticking to a diet is lousy for people who are already trim and fit - it's worse for someone whose regular eating is, by any reasonable standard, overeating.

Hey everyone. Sorry if this is a necropost but it's relevant. I'm 34 years old, 6'2 and 280 lbs. I've lost 30 pounds since December mostly on diet changes and light exercise. I went to my first BJJ class yesterday and it kicked my ass. I've been been fairly inactive my entire life with the exception of hockey for a couple years as a teen and I boxed in my early 20s for a couple years. Got steadily and slowly more unfit year after year since then.

I know I sucked pretty bad but I went in expecting exactly that so there were no surprises. Training in boxing years ago helped cure me of any egoism walking into a new gym for a completely foreign activity.

I hate slowing other people down due to my poor ability but I'm aware everyone's there for their own purposes and having some sweaty, fat dude mangling their way through warm up and drills doesn't really bother them. I probably won't be able to attend another class until early next week just due to life but I've already cleared out a path in the basement to help get up to speed on shrimping and rolls.

Anyway, I just wanted to show some thanks and appreciation for the culture and individuals who help make it an encouraging and positive environment for guys like me. Even if you're not a pep talk kind of guy or whatever, just not having a critical look on your face goes a long way. So yeah, cheers to those men and women and I hope someday to be able to offer some encouragement to someone like I was yesterday.

Hey everyone. Sorry if this is a necropost but it's relevant. I'm 34 years old, 6'2 and 280 lbs. I've lost 30 pounds since December mostly on diet changes and light exercise. I went to my first BJJ class yesterday and it kicked my ass. I've been been fairly inactive my entire life with the exception of hockey for a couple years as a teen and I boxed in my early 20s for a couple years. Got steadily and slowly more unfit year after year since then.

I know I sucked pretty bad but I went in expecting exactly that so there were no surprises. Training in boxing years ago helped cure me of any egoism walking into a new gym for a completely foreign activity.

I hate slowing other people down due to my poor ability but I'm aware everyone's there for their own purposes and having some sweaty, fat dude mangling their way through warm up and drills doesn't really bother them. I probably won't be able to attend another class until early next week just due to life but I've already cleared out a path in the basement to help get up to speed on shrimping and rolls.

Anyway, I just wanted to show some thanks and appreciation for the culture and individuals who help make it an encouraging and positive environment for guys like me. Even if you're not a pep talk kind of guy or whatever, just not having a critical look on your face goes a long way. So yeah, cheers to those men and women and I hope someday to be able to offer some encouragement to someone like I was yesterday.

congrats on taking the leap man! welcome to a whole new world...the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know jack!

Franzig, I'm old, I'm fat. Just keep going to class. It's all good.

Just keep showing up. Everything else will take care of itself.

Back