To the fat person googling jiu jitsu...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Spazzmaster, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Spazzmaster

Spazzmaster Purple Belt

Check out this nice post on "Jiu Jiu" Julia's BJJ blog

To the fat person googling jiu jitsu

Julia was heavier than 200 pounds and had zero athletic background when she started BJJ in 2010, at the age of 33. Now she's a 4-stripe blue belt and on her way to 135 pounds.

[​IMG]

It's amazing the personal transformations that BJJ has inspired. We all like to debate fighting effectiveness and state of the sport and who is winning what and so on. But I truly think one of the best things about BJJ is its positive influence on people's lifestyles.

2. Razor

Razor can you dig it, sucka?

Awesome

3. peytonlucy

peytonlucy Silver Belt

Good for her.

4. FrontNakedChoke

FrontNakedChoke ____________________

5. shouldercharge

shouldercharge Dave Camarillo idoliser

I've always been in to sports so was in reasonable shape,however judo and Bjj still had massive positive effects on my lifestyle mainly in encouraging me to stop binge drinking on a weekly basis.

6. Browning guy

Browning guy White Belt

That's awesome! Good For her. I have lost a decent amount from BJJ along with better diet. I am 30 years old 6'1" and started BJJ at around 260. I am currently 210 and still dropping some. No where close to transformation that the women pictured has but I am happy with my progress so far.

7. Solidus Snake

Solidus Snake Purple Belt

I must admit that Bjj alone never made me lose important amount of weights.

But when I started to compete a little more seriously I had to drop a class weight or even two, so adding a good diet in the mix did the trick.

8. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

It always amazes me how people can get that fat in the first place. She must have literally been eating junk food all day.

9. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

good for her. she must have led a pretty sedentary lifestyle beforehand to lose so much weight.

10. ThatBJJGuy

ThatBJJGuy Brown Belt

It's easier than you think with a poor choice of foods and sedentary lifestyle.

11. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Yeah, if you're like most people who go to work and then go home and just watch TV or play video games.

Especially if you're female, it's kind of shocking how few daily calories a typical woman needs to maintain her weight.

Have a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a burger and fries for lunch, some pizza or pasta for dinner, with a few sodas or beers, maybe a cookie for dessert, and you're going to get very fat if you're not working out. It doesn't require effort, (almost) no one gets fat on purpose.

12. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Add in age with its slowing basal metabolic rate into the equation and it gets really easy. Einarr's too young to have started experiencing that yet, but it will come.

One of my favorite quotes on BJJ was from a friend of mine who told me off hand once that 'BJJ is the only thing that keeps me from day drinking'. I think that says it all.

13. Irenaeus

Irenaeus Black Belt

That was really cool to see. I remember glancing at her blog pretty shortly after she started, and I haven't looked at it since.

14. middleaged

middleaged Orange Belt

"Just accept this and keep coming". Great quote from a great blog post - kudos to her!

15. georgwilhelm**

georgwilhelm** Banned Banned

Wow! Awesome!
    Although I'm not fat reading this and related posts helped me a ton!
    And congrats on the courage and perseverance to show up and stick with it despite her disadvantages. I have/had far less to cope with and still find it hard to keep myself motivated sometimes. So this blog is huge inspiration!

16. Spazzmaster

Spazzmaster Purple Belt

^ I actually have more respect for the middle-age out-of-shape non-athletes who show up than the young dudes in good shape. It takes a lot of courage for people like Julia to step on the mat for the first time, even more courage for them to keep coming back. These are not wannabe fighters filled with ego and thoughts of competitive glory. These are people who want to improve their lives.

17. indulf

indulf Orange Belt

great post. i can relate, as BJJ has helped me lose about 70lb while increasing my strength, mobility, flexibility, skill set, and confidence.

getting my kids involved is what really pushed me over the edge and made me take it more seriously. though i'm still a "hobbyist", i look at BJJ as being my only chance to get what i want out of life from a physical perspective. it has driven me to clean up my eating, motivates me to be in the gym often, and has changed a lot about me.

without a good coach and patient teammates i wouldn't be able to make the progress i have and i wouldn't be able to hit the personal goals i have set for myself.

18. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

Bjj has an incredible impact on people's life, I hardly think Bjj alone will make you lose 50 pounds, but it sure gives you the motivation to start a diet.

19. Gunshow74

Gunshow74 Blue Belt

Just the other day I was thinking about how much healthier BJJ has made me. Ever since starting I've quit smoking, drink a lot less, and eat a much cleaner diet.

20. DanR

DanR White Belt

I went from 285 to 205 with BJJ/MMA, I didnt clean up my diet till about 235. Its slowed down and gotten harder to lose now though.

5'8" 32y/o