To quit or not to quit

Rob Battisti

HR for HR
@Steel
Reaction score
hey guys I'll keep it to the TL/DR

- 2.5 years ago landed a very well paying job at a great company.
- Headquarters of the company is in NY and I work in NJ all senior managers work in NYC.
- my original team was 4 people. Manager, two seniors(one being me) and a junior
- over the course of the last 1.5 years I've now had 5 new direct managers and the entire reporting chain has been overhauled.
- other Senior has been laid off and my most recent manager also laid off. Junior no longer on team and I'm now a team of 1 with a crazy work load
- I now report into a terrible manager in NYC who seeks to make make my life hell.
- I find myself checking out and my work suffering because I've lost hope.

Should I quit now without a new job and save my sanity or should I stick it out and try and work through the misery knowing it's not going to get better?

Go postal. I quit my job, got a job at the local post office, and haven't looked back.

Look for a new job that you think you'll enjoy. When you get one hand your notice in.

hey guys I'll keep it to the TL/DR

- 2.5 years ago landed a very well paying job at a great company.
- Headquarters of the company is in NY and I work in NJ all senior managers work in NYC.
- my original team was 4 people. Manager, two seniors(one being me) and a junior
- over the course of the last 1.5 years I've now had 5 new direct managers and the entire reporting chain has been overhauled.
- other Senior has been laid off and my most recent manager also laid off. Junior no longer on team and I'm now a team of 1 with a crazy work load
- I now report into a terrible manager in NYC who seeks to make make my life hell.
- I find myself checking out and my work suffering because I've lost hope.

Should I quit now without a new job and save my sanity or should I stick it out and try and work through the misery knowing it's not going to get better?
I wouldn't burn your bridges, but the only reason your still in the company and it is the way it is, is because you can do the same amount of work 3-5 avg people can accomplish. My dad was in the same exact position as you are for over 15 years and eventually got laid off because of they didn't want to pay him what his was worth so they hired a bunch of FOB's in his place at a fraction of the price.

You also don't want to be in a position where you are pigeonholed holed into getting laid off/or forced into a early retirement.

At least where my dad worked, which was Cisco Systems, the first people to go in the early 2000's were the old guys, and then they eventually kept crunching numbers and anyone below whatever average the came up with got axed.They kept doing this until they got to the point where they only have people willing and able to do the work of multiple people.

What the two guys above said: secure alternate employment first, THEN shit on your manager's desk.

I wouldn't burn your bridges, but the only reason your still in the company and it is the way it is, is because you can do the same amount of work 3-5 avg people can accomplish. My dad was in the same exact position as you are for over 15 years and eventually got laid off because of they didn't want to pay him what his was worth so they hired a bunch of FOB's in his place at a fraction of the price.

You also don't want to be in a position where you are pigeonholed holed into getting laid off/or forced into a early retirement.

At least where my dad worked, which was Cisco Systems, the first people to go in the early 2000's were the old guys, and then they eventually kept crunching numbers and anyone below whatever average the came up with got axed.They kept doing this until they got to the point where they only have people willing and able to do the work of multiple people.

good points

What the two guys above said: secure alternate employment first, THEN shit on your manager's desk.

Wouldn't want to waste the time taking the train up to NYC to do so.

I do have a few interviews lined up for next week so hopefully they go well.

Quit your job and live in a van down by the river,

Other important information.

- I have about 12 months saving in the bank to get me through mortgage payments and bills.
- Wife is working and if need be could support us without having to dip into savings.
- The stress of the job is starting to affect my health.

The corporate model has come down to this. They install layers of management to insulate the big wigs from responsibility then cut those who actually do any work. It's what they learn in business school.

Other important information.

- I have about 12 months saving in the bank to get me through mortgage payments and bills.
- Wife is working and if need be could support us without having to dip into savings.
- The stress of the job is starting to affect my health.

I would walk away, or at least make them fire you so you can get unemployment.

If you have to ask then probably quit.

I'm in a similar position I told my company I was going to find another job due the disorganization of the company. They ended up throwing more money at me and saying these issues are actively being fixed. I accepted the money, but still put in applications for more desirable positions, because predictably nothing changed with the organization. Luckily I don't have a large workload, so I'm just collecting the checks until I get a better offer.

I would walk away, or at least make them fire you so you can get unemployment.

but isn't the only way to get fired is by doing something negligent? if you get fired, you can't collect unemployment. at least i was under that impression. i got unemployment way back when, but i was laid off.

but isn't the only way to get fired is by doing something negligent? if you get fired, you can't collect unemployment. at least i was under that impression. i got unemployment way back when, but i was laid off.

I think it varies by state. Google just told me that in New Jersey, you wouldn't be able to get unemployment if the firing was for misconduct. If the firing was for not being able to perform the job, you could still be eligible for unemployment. I think you'd have a pretty strong case when your team went from four to one and stating it was impossible to keep up. It'd be worth a try at worst, and at least you can milk the last few weeks for your pay.

Probably he meant to say laid-off, which seems to be happening willy-nilly there.

That last one is a killer, but how much can you shift your perspective? Looking for a new job is stressful by itself, but sometimes it's a good stress in that it makes you feel like you're working toward a goal. Would it be enough to alleviate the current job stress? Can you do both, as you currently are doing? Is there anything else you can do to relieve that stress? (I mean without going full berserker, NJ is bad enough as it is.)

Further, would putting your wife in such a position (PICS?) -- would it ameliorate that stress, or exacerbate it?

You don't have to post your answers to us, but they're a barometer for decision-making.

This is why I love Sherdog. Crazy think I've been here almost 10 years now...

But to your point, and thank you for making them, I think I reached the typing point on whether or not I can stomach the stress of the job or not. Lots to think about this weekend.

Thank you all for your input!

This is why I love Sherdog. Crazy think I've been here almost 10 years now...

But to your point, and thank you for making them, I think I reached the typing point on whether or not I can stomach the stress of the job or not. Lots to think about this weekend.

Thank you all for your input!

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back