To People Who say DC vs. Brock is bs...

The fact that you believe that is telling. Ultimately there is no right and wrong here. Its simply a matter of priorities. I view this as a sport, whose entertainment value comes from the high level of competition itself. You view it as a spectacle, where anything that can garner ratings and buys is a legit avenue to explore

Who said anybody was "wrong" about whether they liked the fight (or not)?
You also have no idea what I view anything as.
You are assuming & projecting.

I don't think Brock deserves a title shot, but I am not ignorant enough to think my opinion is the majority or correct thing to do as a business.

99.99% of those complaining would do the same fight if it was their business.
I explained my thinking about major sports & how they make decisions I dislike based on money. So if you assume what you did, you either missed that post or did not comprehend it.

You also might not know the history of combat sports.
Ali fought many guys that were not ranked #1.
He fought Chuck Wepner who was nothing more than a can, because they wanted a white guy to exploit as a challenger for a guy named Muhammad Ali.
That was far worse than an ex champ getting a shot & for far worse reasons
That was 40+ years ago too.

I'm just smart enough to understand why these fights get made & think logically that they will continue & don't hide my head in the sand that "Prize Fighting is altruistic"

I'm watching Liar Liar clips in youtube at 360p resolution smoking w33d.

I'm just smart enough to understand why these fights get made & think logically that they will continue & don't hide my head in the sand that "Prize Fighting is altruistic"

This.

The idea the UFC is about finding out who the best is, is a promotional tool, to sell move shows. UFC is willing to undercut this narrative anytime money is to be made.

They pick their fighters, they pick the fights. Nobody would think this is the best way to determine the best. We just buy in.

Not sure how to reply to that

lol

sub-buzz-21149-1491408491-1.jpg

This.

The idea the UFC is about finding out who the best is, is a promotional tool, to sell move shows. UFC is willing to undercut this narrative anytime money is to be made.

They pick their fighters, they pick the fights. Nobody would think this is the best way to determine the best. We just buy in.

I must add, that more times than not the guy deserving of a title shot gets it.
Maybe not this time, but the fight afterwards.

MMA Utopia according to some:

Attachments

• 8bd305697c88961edb42a13bd6853652.jpg
    8bd305697c88961edb42a13bd6853652.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 3
I must add, that more times than not the guy deserving of a title shot gets it.
Maybe not this time, but the fight afterwards.

Because that's what we want to see, most of the time.

belt = kayfabe
money = dirt sheets

This thread feels like politics... those who romantically cling to the ideals of purity and justice with romantic fervor vs. those who realistically embrace the ruthless reality of the market over the integrity of ethical principle.

This thread feels like politics... those who romantically cling to the ideals of purity and justice with romantic fervor vs. those who realistically embrace the ruthless reality of the market over the integrity of ethical principle.

There you go getting the thread closed ;)

You don't deserve a rematch when you get KTFO like that.

Plus if we go by "real sports" standards, whatever the fuck that means, a dethroned champion doesn't get automatic placement in the finals either, it still has to go through the tournament/play-off like everyone else.

Stipe never gave 2 shits about marketing himself, that's his choice but you reap what you sow. The fact that he's just now spamming rematch over social media is laughable and pathetic.

But this is not a real sport.
<seedat>

Dude. I understand the argument. I don't need it explained to me why someone might want a gold pen at the end of their career and why the UFC would want the biggest draw for a fight. I just disagree with it.

I know that Brock brings numbers wherever he goes. I get that he "pushes the needle". I get that Daniel doesn't really and kinda should based on his abilities.... But still, Sorry, I just think it's dumb to say that a guy who last won a fight in 8 years ago and is coming off of a steroid suspension of 2 years deserves a title shot simply because the guy he is fighting deserves a massive payday because of his character and age...

The fact that so many people in this community, a 20 year old Mixed Martial Arts forum, actually want to see DC/Brock is proof positive that the two are the same. There has been plenty of casual/WWE crossover into Sherdog over the years.

I've always put the blame on the "fans" for the push towards sports entertainment. Ultimately they're the ones responsible for skipping PPV's like TJ/Cody or Edgar/Aldo in favor of CM Punk vs. Journalist or "I havent won a fight in 8 years with PED's" Brock Lesnar vs. DC.

I don't agree. It might be semantics.. But the people that push that particular needle, are not MMA fans.. they are paying customers...Anyone who pays for a PPV in the eyes of Dana will be a fan obviously.. and I DO understand that I might sound a dick splitting hairs ... but fans and people that pay ARE NOT the same. I'm a fan of MMA.. I do not have as much access to the PPVs others might, so I don't pay. I also don't watch anything like as many as I once did...It's not the big NAMES I look for on a card. It's the big FIGHTS. A bloke that got beaten senseless as soon as the HW division got some depth and last won a fight 8 years ago..... and is coming off a suspension for PEDs.... is NOT a big fight ..

They've wheeled him out for one last ass kicking......He's going to get absolutely pulverised and everyone knows. If there are other decent fights on the card I'll stay up and watch it. otherwise I'll download it in the morning and watch it on fast forward

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back