To old to start training?

I feel bad now, I thought I was in a bad position to start training. I'm 19 years old and I've had success in martial arts (only 2 years or so) but i feel im a natural. I just didnt know because when you compare yourself to others who put in countless hours or wrestled and started EVEN earlier. I just don't think I would stand a chance, however. I want to learn ju jitsu and other martial arts (always have) but I want to also learn something that would help me if i ever decided to try MMA (even just to learn it or for fun). I don't know where to start, grappling? wrestling? finish martial arts some more? lol its hard

I'll second (or third) what Miami wrote.

I'm 38, and have been doing bjj for about three months after spending the summer weight-lifting and getting into better cardio shape. Never had any bodyweight problems, but I've always had a Mark Coleman-esque gas tank.

Cardio is important. But if you're moving toward middle age, then I can't emphasize stretching and warm-up enough--especially the stretching. I figure if Nino stretches everyday, then I sure as hell need to!

mate im 30 years old. I to have a family and have a full time job.I know its hard to fit it all in.What i do is weight train once a week maybe sat or sunday I do all body parts it takes about an hour and a half i do kickboxing on firdays and run twice a week and a good work out on the bag........i know i should do more but im never going to be on a ufc fight card so as long as take care of my self that does me...........

LockCracker said:
I feel bad now, I thought I was in a bad position to start training. I'm 19 years old and I've had success in martial arts (only 2 years or so) but i feel im a natural. I just didnt know because when you compare yourself to others who put in countless hours or wrestled and started EVEN earlier. I just don't think I would stand a chance, however. I want to learn ju jitsu and other martial arts (always have) but I want to also learn something that would help me if i ever decided to try MMA (even just to learn it or for fun). I don't know where to start, grappling? wrestling? finish martial arts some more? lol its hard

take away the MA, and I'm about the same. Hell I thought I was too old.....

I'm another 30yr old to add to the list. I have the family, 45hr/week job, and other commitments just like you.

I just started training about 5 months ago, & added BJJ just 6 weeks ago. I had a few years of TKD experience from my teen years, but that was it. I now train BJJ/MMA 2-3x a week & judo 1x a week in addition to lifting 4x a week. I am lucky enough to have a job that allows me to hit the gym on my lunch breaks a few days a week, so that helps. I don't do much cardio anymore, my training is plenty of cardio as is. I am also lucky to be able to train BJJ/MMA within 15 minutes of my house.

I have always been a workout freak & was already in good shape when I started, I thought that would help. I still had a rough break-in period, MMA is a whole different kind of shape than cardio & lifting. My endurance gets a little better each week, but I still get sore after hard rolling sessions & had to scale back my lifting due to soreness & recovery time. We don't recover like we did at 20. It may be a good idea to start conditioning for a few weeks before training at a school, it'll make an easier transition. Plan to be sore as hell after your first few sessions, but stick with it. Start slow & easy, & ramp up gradually. There are plenty of guys our age at my school.

I'm sure you can do it, good luck.

I struggle with this too, but you never know until you try.

I am 30 (31 next week) and have trained bjj and mma for the last 7 months. I had always had an interest in training for mma, but in my 20's i had a severe back problem that prevented it. I was also a chronic pot head since i was 15 probably smoked more dope a week than most people do in a year, or some see in a life time. No kiddiing, i was the real deal, full feldged pothead until i was 30. then about 6 mnths ago (around june) after numerous attempts to quit over the last 15yrs, i just stopped and started training. in fact the day i started training i smoked my last dube. I have been training hardcore now for 7mths, 6 days a week at least 4 hrs a day and i am loving it. of course all the damage i did through usage and bad eating habits, lack of exercise and sitting around playing video games has taken a toll and i still have not got my wind or endurance up to where i want it to be, but it is coming. I have cleaned up my diet and know how to be strict and diciplend. I am working on putting in a morning routine increaseing my daily training time to 6hrs a day. If you want it bad enough you WILL do it.

I do well at my dojo and hold up against experienced guys. I am respected because people see my face everyday and know i am SERIOUS because i am there from beggining to end.
I just eneterd my first bjj tounoment last month and although i lost, i lost to the guy who won it, and found some holes in my game to try and fill.

Everthing i have ever done in my life i have done against the odds, and my mma ambitions will follow that pattern. The fact is there is always a way. there is no one path, there are many. if everyone is younger and faster, then you have to be wiser and more methodical. if people are more explosive, than you need to be more technical. time and effort will determine how far you go, not your age

I'm 32, single father of 1, and have an amateur record of 0-2. 0-1 in Pancrase rules, 0-1 in Submission Grappling. And you know what? I've loved every second of it. I mostly train on my own, at seminars, or with friends. I've been practicing Muay Thai for about 3 years. I started BJJ earlier this year. I made my own grappling dummy and also use a heavy bag for the grappling.

Sitting on the mat after my first loss was the second most significant event in my life. The first one being my daughter being born. I felt a fire that had been missing. It made me hungry to be better at everything I do in life.

Go for it, but don't go into it half assed. I've lost 40 pounds since I've started, but more importantly my body has started to tone up. I think that the 3rd time will be the charm.

sir037 said:
I'm 32, single father of 1, and have an amateur record of 0-2. 0-1 in Pancrase rules, 0-1 in Submission Grappling. And you know what? I've loved every second of it. I mostly train on my own, at seminars, or with friends. I've been practicing Muay Thai for about 3 years. I started BJJ earlier this year. I made my own grappling dummy and also use a heavy bag for the grappling.

Sitting on the mat after my first loss was the second most significant event in my life. The first one being my daughter being born. I felt a fire that had been missing. It made me hungry to be better at everything I do in life.

Go for it, but don't go into it half assed. I've lost 40 pounds since I've started, but more importantly my body has started to tone up. I think that the 3rd time will be the charm.
Good story man. Keep it up.

You're never too old. If you want to do you, you should do it. You shouldn't be asking us. But ask yourself.

hmm age 29...olny if you train real hard 24/7 and if u have no job..since your that old you might have to work 5x harder..its never too late exepct if ur over 40 or somthing lol...but u would have to work pretty damn hard if you wanna..go ahead..try

Is there anything suchas too young? I mean the gracies start them at about 3 years old.
Maybe I should try and do pankration before I actually do any pure MMA training. (I've done BJJ, wrestling, and kickboxing) If I like it, good. If not, oh well.

I'm not too sure on the age(old) question because I don't have experience with that. I know taht most pro MMA guys over 35 have started in something else (wrestling, boxing, ect.) long before MMA.

I'm 30 and have recently started again after a 5 year layoff. I hope you stick with it. You can always chose how dedicated you want to be...whether you want to put in 2 hours a week or 60. At least do something to get off your butt. Best of luck.

SHIT!!!! 29 about to turn 30! married 5 KIDS! yes, i am serious. Run my own construction business and train like a mother fuka! jitz, MT,Heavy lifting and cardio and have a personal trainer I see twice a week . neva to old

Yo there's this 50+ year (he might actually be closer to 60) old guy in my school that does BJJ. He's a Brown belt. He is one tough bad ass guy. I would feel sorry for the guy that tries to mug him. It's never too late to train. That's why they have Masters divisions. He! He!

I'm like a lot of you...trained in my early-mid 20s, got a bunch of injuries, now I'm back (3 months BJJ and kickboxing/MMA), and slowly getting in better shape. I just turned 31, and can hang with guys that are 20, but I need more conditioning, that's for sure. I'm planning on competing in the new year as a beginner in sub grappling and MMA, possibly even going into full on MMA if things go well..my theory is I haven't taken that much of a beating in the past, so my body has a fair bit of mileage on it even if I am over 30...am I crazy? If I build up my conditioning I think I could be competitive, but I might be dreaming....

Stab - it's a good point - a lot of boxers who stop young have hundreds of amateur bouts as a kid under their belt. If you start older or have had a good layoff, you have been spared years of injuries & damage, so might get to train longer - like the fable of the tortoise & the hare

I to feel like I am too old to get back in the gym. I am 31 and have not trained for over 5 years. However, I am wanting to get back at.... my only problem is that I recently moved to Fort Lauderdale, Fl. Does anyone have any good recomendations for local MMA schools or get dojo's? I last trained in Kenpo and loved, however, there does not appear to be any kenpo dojos around my area... anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!

I think American Top Team is based in Ft. Lauderdale.

I've got my first amateur kickboxing match on Feb. 3!!!! I am so stoked, my coach has been perfecting a strategy for me, working on using my strengths to win the fight. I have to lose about 15 lbs by then, so I am on a serious diet, running every day, bag work 5-6x a week, and class 4x a week. He's confident I'll do well, so I'm confident too.

Back