To much empasis on sport bjj

Stoic1 said:
Fucking idiots.

If you wanted to make it 'da street', you would train with fucking guns. Jesus christ. I swear... Some of you have such distorted ideas of what a streetfight is supposed to be. Add strikes. Add knives. Add guns. Add multiple opponents. Add police. Add a judge and jury.

When you jump into a fight you have no fucking idea what you are getting into because it could include all of that. Add 'strikes' and 'reality' to your BJJ is not going to help you as much as you think. Do muay thai if want. But if you want some real self defense you would be trained in the proper use of firearms and shoot regularly.

Just find a good school and a good instructor. Train hard and have a good time. Stay in shape and stay aware. Its the best use of your time and energy.
I hope to never be in a fight for the rest of my life so sport jj is fine with me. As a bouncer, I would never use bjj expect rear naked...just use my size and the fact that there are plenty of us. I will not be pulling guard on unruly patrons

You would NEVER use BJJ?

Hmmm.

Let's picture this scenario, eh?

You are talking away with someone and BLAM! Someone just blindsides you with a haymaker. You cant see anything for a second. You feel strange. Spinning. You grab ahold of something. Then in a flash you are back to reality. Someone is on top of you trying to punch your face. Out of instinct you are holding on tight, but realize you got knocked down.

What exactly are you going to use here? Some muay thai? Supreme negotiating skills? Perhaps your car alarm?

No. This is where BJJ shines. You use a little movement and leverage to sweep the guy off you and get a superior position on him where the punches won't be doing damage. It'll be your choice at that point what to do. But THAT is the essence of BJJ. Taking the worst possible positions, applying some technique, and coming up on top.

It isn't about squaring up with some guy and 'winning' by running up and jumping guard trying for a flying armlock. It's about realistically defending yourself by defending against the worst positions, like the mount and using some leverage to get yourself into a safer position and posibbly end the fight with a finishing hold.

But forget all this 'keepin it real'. It's a fuckin sport. As brutal as Muay Thai looks it is just a sport too. MMA isn't a real fight. Its a sport with rules. Realize that is what we are doing. We are practicing a sport that mimics the closest thing we have to a fight. But we add rules for safety. And we practice styles for preference. Now if you want to go off and add strikes to BJJ, go right ahead. Add headbutts and biting too. Whatever tickles your fancy. But don't confuse what BJJ is with what you think it should be. And certainly don't confuse BJJ, or MMA with real fights.

We have a day solely dedicated to street adapated Judo, BJJ, and striking. In order to move up in belt rank, you have to know escapes from the standard 2 arm street choke (WWF style), bearhug, headlock, etc...

Soid said:
Did Rafael teach that class?
It was Zed actually.

As much as it pains me to say this, this is why we NEED a Street Fighting forum. So people who feel like saying stupid shit like "BJJ will not work on the street" can go there and discuss it all they want.

Jiu Jitsu will help you on the street as much as any other realistic style would.

How come I never see any "Boxing will not work on the street" threads? Squaring up and boxing on the street has a number of downfalls as well. Do you really think someone is going to just stand there and have a boxing match on the street with you? You think it will be as easy to block punches without the boxing gloves on? How about your near sideways stance, what happens when someone bum rushes you, or tries to tackle you to the ground? What if they clinch with you? What are you Tyson? Are you a one punch KO king? Boxing is just as one-dimensional. Are you so na

lol @ this thread

Shame on you guys with lots of posts for falling for one of the oldest BJJ troll topics around.

Even if it is a troll, I hope all the other SF gurus out there talking this shit ALL the time are reading it, because I am just sick of hearing about this.

triso said:
Even if it is a troll, I hope all the other SF gurus out there talking this shit ALL the time are reading it, because I am just sick of hearing about this.

My whole point is you are wasting your 80-150 bucks just training for sport.SO TROLL THIS MOTHER FUCKER

David_Jacobs said:
lol @ this thread

Shame on you guys with lots of posts for falling for one of the oldest BJJ troll topics around.

Show True Good!! w00t!!

bayboy4life said:
My whole point is you are wasting your 80-150 bucks just training for sport.SO TROLL THIS MOTHER FUCKER
have you ever been in a fight? you can train bjj with strikes, headbutts, fish hooks or we else you want its still not gonna make it into a street fight ma ... every style out there including bjj teaches you things you can use in a real fight and things that are strictly for that sport anyone with 1/2 a brain will know not to pull guard on the street but if you are put on your back its the best thing you can do and the ground control bjj teaches you will help you get on top of your opponent so you can gnp a monkey can drop punches if its in good position thats not something you need to be tought

with that said street fighting is for insecure idiots and will get you nothing but stab/gun shot wounds or jail time with that in mind if you are so affraid of getting into a fight carry a damn knife on you ... bjj is a sport to get you in good shape, have fun and yes learn how to defend yourself on the ground you'd have to be nuts to spend this much time and energy training just to learn how to street fight because in the worst case scenario no martial arts will help you when you have 4 guys kicking your head in or someone pulls a gun on you

bayboy4life said:
this guy is a turd..

bayboy4life said:
My whole point is you are wasting your 80-150 bucks just training for sport.
you're right. I'd get much more value out of training for a street fight that happens once every decade (if ever) than for a competition every few months.
Why do all these guys waste their money on gyms. Bench presses won't work on the street. Waste of cash IMO.
I should devote my entire life trianing for something that I don't think is gonna really happen. Now that's cash well spent. LOL

a wise man once said,

David_Jacobs said:
lol @ this thread

I don't know what's so bad about this thread.

i second the amendment for a street fighting forum. i also say that i can waste my money however i want. tomorrow i may just go out and buy some food with, thats the crazy kind of guy i am.

Back