To much empasis on sport bjj

bayboy4life

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is there to much empasis on sport bjj and not on practical street defense bjj?You have all these different types of gaurds and positions that can clean house in sport bjj but would get you killed in self defense.Look at the bjj guys who whoop ass in bjj tournys but can win shit in mma.To me mma is the more practical application of bjj.Should bjj schools start training with strikes sometimes to simulate a fight better

Having Solid basics is beneficial for sport bjj and the streets...

sport bjj does teach a lot of things that are not practical on the street however its stupid to say that sport bjj can't be used on the street obviously you don't wanna turtle up in a fight, you don't wanna pull guard on the street either but if you are put on your back in a fight that is the best thing to do its mostly common sense what will and won't work in a fight the typical street bjj is take them down, maintain top position, side mount/mount and gnp or take the back and choke them out ... you just have to keep in mind the person can punch or slam you so you don't wanna go for subs that leave you open for strikes actually unless its right there or the gnp isn't working for some reason i wouldn't go for subs in a fight period just use your ground control and you'll own people with no training

but to answer your question yes rolling with strikes every once in a while will help

Where I train, Self Defense techniques are taught as well as the sport aspect, though more emphasis is put on the sport side of it. They also teach you how to tweak a move for self defense, and IMO are very realistic about fighting outside of a controlled matted environment.

To me that is enough. Truthfully, you can take what you learn and translate it yourself to self defense. There are certain moves I wouldn

Oh yea, and don't take offense to this, but if you feel this way, that MMA is more practical for self defense, and if self defense (more commonly know as wanting to quell your own insecurities for kicking someone ass) is truly your goal, then take up MMA, or buy a weapon.

i do ju-jistu because i like sport ju-jistu

yes it applies on the street but many people including myself dont take it for self defense, we take it because of the love for the art and the sport itself.

MMA isn't the same as the street, MMA fighters are trained to fight against BJJ guys, that's why some BJJ guys have a difficult time in MMA. Random people off the street usually aren't gonna be trained to fight MMA. And I'm sure a more seasoned BJJ dude will have the common sense to know what he can take onto the street and what is mainly for sport BJJ. That's all.

Yeah who the hell is stupid enough to attempt to pull guard in a street fight? If you ever get in a fight you can just take the guy down and most people have no grappling experience, so just get side mount or
mount and beat the crap out of them, or you can always choke them out :p

minimagpro said:
i do ju-jistu because i like sport ju-jistu

yes it applies on the street but many people including myself dont take it for self defense, we take it because of the love for the art and the sport itself.
Exactly. Depends what you train for. There's a large variety of schools out there. Some focus on sport, some SD, some MMA.
Funnily enough, a lot of the guys who train for selfdefense rarely, if ever, want to roll with strikes.
If I was training Strictly for SD, that would take up a large portion of my training time.

Who are these Sport BJJ guys who can't win shit in MMA?
The Nog brothers?
The Rua brothers?
Schembri? His losses weren't exactly against cans.
Arona and Bustamonte?
Pe De Pano?
Paulo Filho?

Many BJJ guys have great success in MMA.

bayboy4life said:
Is there to much empasis on sport bjj and not on practical street defense bjj?You have all these different types of gaurds and positions that can clean house in sport bjj but would get you killed in self defense.Look at the bjj guys who whoop ass in bjj tournys but can win shit in mma.To me mma is the more practical application of bjj.Should bjj schools start training with strikes sometimes to simulate a fight better
No because that is what mma schools are for.

bayboy4life said:

its not that bjj guys can't win shit in mma. just because some of them get totally tooled over in an mma fight doesn't apply to everybody that sport bjj sucks. has it ever occured to you that maybe those bjj guys who got their asses kicked were just new to mma and didn't spend much time cross training and adapting their style for mma? and that they were fighting more well rounded guys?

train what the hell you want. you really shouldn't be street fighting and either sport bjj or vale tudo style bjj will give you enough skills to stay on your feet and get the fuck out of there.

Look at the bjj guys who whoop ass in bjj tournys but can win shit in mma.To me mma is the more practical application of bjj.Should bjj schools start training with strikes sometimes to simulate a fight better

guys who do mma also do BJJ so your example is a blit flawed. How often are you going to run into a fighter that knows both stand up and bjj in the street? If you do, my suggestion is to stay the fuck away from them

I gess minimagpro said it all in his post. in portugal our class is quite mma related, and we do train with stikes as well, over here in england it is diferent. but I guess I train what I train, just because I love the sport and going to the academy every night is my favorite part of the whole day.

like somebody stated above, who are these guys that didn't make it in mma? the only one I can remember is bittetti... walid wasn't brilliant, but he wasn't that bad, he just doesn't have the right stamina for MMA in my opinion, aside from these two guys the list of the BJJ to MMA trasition has been quite positive

shaolin
bustamante
ze mario
lister
bj penn
kiki
filho
minotauro
minotouro
arona
royce
rickson
firmino
pe de pano
azeredo
ximu
tibau
fredson paixao
thales leite
werdum

... you get the picture

Fucking idiots.

If you wanted to make it 'da street', you would train with fucking guns. Jesus christ. I swear... Some of you have such distorted ideas of what a streetfight is supposed to be. Add strikes. Add knives. Add guns. Add multiple opponents. Add police. Add a judge and jury.

When you jump into a fight you have no fucking idea what you are getting into because it could include all of that. Add 'strikes' and 'reality' to your BJJ is not going to help you as much as you think. Do muay thai if want. But if you want some real self defense you would be trained in the proper use of firearms and shoot regularly.

Just find a good school and a good instructor. Train hard and have a good time. Stay in shape and stay aware. Its the best use of your time and energy.

Back