To make or not make friends at the Gym?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by marcusnz80, Sep 22, 2010.

1. marcusnz80

marcusnz80 Purple Belt

So im a regular at my local Gym (not an MMA gym, a standard commercial public gym) and im there for one thing: to work out. I deliberately don't want to make friends for 3 reasons: the potential "quality" of conversation, my desire to simply get in and out and most importantly, because i love to just relax and zone out to music while im training. Subsequently, I smile politely and say hi to whoever my eyes engage, but i dont stop for a chat. Anyways, ive become quite the regular and people (including staff) have made more of an effort to talk to me. Ive countered this with a tipped hat and blaring ipod (that i even walk into the gym with) to deter people but my attempt at "reclusiveness" has clearly rubbed a few people the wrong way. Not that i give a shit, but does anyone else deliberately avoids friendships at their gym?

2. flak

flak Guest

Yeah, absolutely. I'm almost always limited on time and want to keep my mind focused. Plus, I frequently work out at university gyms where I'm 20 years older than anyone else in the room and I don't want to give anyone the impression I'm there to ogle/meet young people.

Having said that, I think it's a good idea to establish friendly acquaintances with any regulars who seem cool. And what I mean by that is, if you recognize someone, or if you've ever talked to them before, you make eye contact and say hello if the opportunity presents itself. It's just good gym etiquette, and if you keep moving, chances are they'll get the message that you're not looking for conversation.

Same thing with agreeing to spot people or answering questions like "is anybody using this bench?" or "where's the water fountain?" Yeah, if another lifter needs me to help them for a moment, I'm cool with that.

3. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

Well my brother seems to know every SOB that works at the gym through work or rugby or friendship outside of the gym, so I changed gyms and only go back if I'm not doing weights so I don't have to have him spot me.

4. ASUThermo

ASUThermo Wide Right: ╚╦╝ ○

Yes, for the same exact reasons as you. On most occasions I lift with one of my best buds, we both have our buds in to avoid unnecessary conversation with other members. I go to the lengths of looking at the floor when I walk. The only time I attempt to interact with someone is to help a young kid workout safely. Even if my battery dies on my mp3 player I will keep the buds in with hopes of keeping people out of my business, in that case I pretend not to hear people (what an asshole). Unfortunately when people are instant enough to get my attention I usually engage politely, this often leads to cutting a workout short or cooling down enough between sets forcing me to forfeit the rest of the lifts on that exercise. Attractive women are the other exception.

5. scoopj

scoopj ackson

I don't like getting caught up in conversations because I just don't have the time (work out at lunch). But if you work out alone it's good to have your "go-to" spot buddy for bench when you're going heavy.

6. YCHR

YCHR White Belt

Yes. For the very same 3 reasons you mentioned and many more...it's simply better to stick around alone while in the gym so you can just get in, do your thing and get out. People have come up to me though to strike a casual conversation and I follow on for a while and just drift away politely.

I've come to exchange numbers because they insist on becoming workout partners since I don't necessarily display my lack of interest in the previous as to avoid any sort of unnecessary discussion but I never really call anyone so we just end up saying hello whenever we bump into each other.

7. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

I'm sorry, but what are these "Friends" you humans speak off?

8. Big H

Big H Blue Belt

i workout in my shed, could do with some company other than my cat who just sits there as i do my roll of shame.

9. JerkWeed

JerkWeed Brown Belt

I crank up the iPod and avoid making eye contact with my cat.

10. mrpunch

mrpunch Orange Belt

I'm the same way with neighbors

11. RyanR

RyanR Black Belt

Been going to the same gym for about 8 years so I'm a regular. I'll say hi to some people, but for the most part I get in, do my workout, and leave. I'm friendly there but at the same time I don't go to the gym to chat.

Unless a hot chick needs help with her squat form.

12. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

I try not to.
    I train and leave.

But when I have more time/lack of a rush, I do try and rip people apart because of their squatting or deadlifting and end up becoming friendly with them and see how they are doing later on.
    But when I'm training in the morning there is no doubt not to attempt communication with me. Even asking if I have finished with a barbell that has been left with weights on it, I usually respond that some other **** hasn't cleaned up after themselves.

At my old uni gym that I was at until the beginning of this year, I was pretty friendly with all of the staff as I had been going since it opened. Until morals kicked in, I also nearly laid a couple. 9/10's, with bf's.
    FUCK YOU MORALS, FUCK YOU

13. ssdd

ssdd Purple Belt

Bro if you're not talking to the chikz you're a homo. I only talk to dudes when I need a spot to pull the weights off the bar during my burn out sets

14. scoopj

scoopj ackson

Translation?

15. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

I do. But I go to a good gym that has lots of people who aren't idiots. And there's no reason I can't chat a bit between sets.

16. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

Cliff notes
    twice I was chatted up by girls that worked in the gym, flirty texts, 'I have a bf and I'm a good girl, but I want to be naughty with you, don't know what to do, I think you're lovely'.
    I was fine with it and then my fucking personal moral code kicked in and I turned them both down.

I didn't even know the girls bf!

So yeah, fuck you moral code

17. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

I'm sure people at my gym think I'm kind of a prick for the same reasons you mention above. Perhaps it also might be due to the fact that I'll occasionally observe someone doing quarter squats and shout to them "Go lower, you pussy!"

18. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

I'm friendly with the two owners, don't talk much to others. I blast my music and some people chat me up and if I happen to barely hear them, I still ignore them, or I'll pull off one ear bud and say "I'm sorry, did you say something?". They get the point.

The owners are 2 powerlifters who give me a spot if needed.

19. Baconator69**

Baconator69** Banned Banned

I ice grill everyone. Fuckign hate the assholes at my gym. Fuckign bitch taking 15 min between sets on my squat rack to flirt with guys. fuckign whore.

20. Beable

Beable Blue Belt

I work out at a pretty small gym that has a pretty serious powerlifting population. I am friendly with and know all the regulars on the MWF schedule. People are pleasant and aware of each other, but know that they're there to train.