To Hype Up a Fight, Add Title Implications

Frank Edgar

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I hardly ever start threads, but I see so many people complaining about Belfort/Sonnen that I thought I'd speak up.

There has been a lot of outrage recently at the thought of Chael or Hendo actually winning title shots despite their dismal recent performances. Just because Dana says that the winner will get a title shot to promote a fight, does not make it true, however.

It's a calculated risk. Cormier is a legit challenger for the belt and was almost certainly going to beat Hendo. If Hendo had won would he really have gotten a title shot? Maybe. We'll never know.

And again, Sonnen will most likely lose to Belfort, who has legitimately earned a title shot already (I'd give Sonnen a better shot at winning than Hendo had).

So these announcements really just mean "if the guy we want to fight for the title wins, he'll get his title shot"

How many times have guys like Machida won no. 1 contender fights and NOT actually fought for the title? Its all just promotional BS. It happens all the time and it'll continue to happen

Yeah sounds about right, and i have a feeling if dan won with an H-bomb they would give him the title shot and market it as the title fight that didnt happen bc of the injury. its arguable both times he didnt deserve a title shot

im still waiting for jon fitch to get a tittle shot afer he beat thiago alves at 117.

Back