To Gi or not to Gi........

J

JamesBJJ.**

I keep hearing that working with a Gi will make you a better No Gi grappler. I like Gi, but Im starting to like No Gi much better, so I suppose my question is how does Gi make you a better No Gi fighter? I think maybe it has something to do with escapes....

You need more attention to detail if you train in a Gi in my opinion.

It is also easier to be successful with power and speed in No Gi.
Meaning you can compensate a lack of technique through physical attributes better in No GI than in Gi.
This can lead to developing a style that is less technical.

The GI will NOT make you better - training will. I'm a strong believe that the GI helps you with posture and positioning, but if you don't pay attention to detail and don't keep working your weakness then you will never get better.

I train both and I like both....

There is so much more to worry about while fighting in a gi, a lot more chokes and techniques. Where as there is not as many in no gi

I am a wrestler coming into BJJ. Naturally I liked No-Gi better and it is my main focus. I train pretty much just Gi right now and I can say my game has improved so much because you do not have to worry about the collar chokes, friction of Gi's, sweeps and anything else using the Gi.

It makes my game a lot faster and I blow through guards.

I started out no gi but had very little technique. Then about six months ago I started focusing on my gi training a lot more and hardly touched no-gi classes. Recently though I've been sneaking in some additional submission grappling (no-gi I guess) and the results have been great. I'm more patient and think through strategy from the gi training...but my conditioning is better all the way around just through training a lot. It's funny...try both and see what is a good fit for you. I know some guys who do nothing but no gi and they are dangerous on the ground...the same with guys who are more traditional.

Back