to gi or not to gi?

DkMacaw

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
the few times I have trained grappling, I've done it without a gi. I know there is lots of differences when it comes to using submissions and pulling your opponent's gi to throw or lock in some subs. But my question is, for those who have trained both ways:

is it more comfortable to train with or without a gi?

Try both, figure out which one you like (go or nogi).

If you like both, do both. If you like just one, do that one.

Comfortable? I'm not sure what that even means really. I prefer gi, but I wouldn't call it comfortable.

I swear I saw a thread just like this the other day. Wait. I did.

Use the search function.

However if your too lazy then just pick the style you have more "fun" at.

I did a lot of nogi before I started in the GI and I really like GI better

I enjoy no gi more. I do gi more often though because it helps so much with technique.

i like nogi better translates better into a real fight

i like nogi better translates better into a real fight
Neither NoGi and Gi simulates normal clothing very well. If you do both, you know how such handles work in general, but are not wholly dependent on them.

What is a "real fight"?

If you want to be a well rounded grappler, train both. They are both awesome, and necessary imo.

Personally I started with no gi (being a wrestler) and later moved to gi. I wish I had done it the other way around. I think the gi is a great training tool for beginners, as long as you don't become reliant on it, which I think is a bad habit. So I would advocate training equally in both.

If you live on a beach.

Hey! It happens.

Honestly though I prefer just shorts and t shirt grappling, I find the Gi getting in the way too often, I guess that's because I've only just started using it. I'll dig this thread up in a month and edit depending on how stuff pans out.

I think if somebody has a choice then go with the GI. Just because you train somewhere that is primarily GI, doesn't mean you can only roll in the GI. Most schools have at least 1 nogi day a week.

Do whatever you enjoy (in terms of gi, no gi, etc.)...but my experience was that my grappling ability (after 2 years no-gi) really leveled off, and I relied only on a very limited number of subs/sweeps/etc and on a grappling game built on power and killer cardio.

After injury and work hours took their toll though, my explosiveness dropped off, and I tried the gi (hated it, btw). But my game started to improve drastically and I rarely train without a gi now.

As far as the application to fighting, i don't think either approach drastically limits or enhances your chances of success in a bar room brawl. If I were worried about that, I'd be taking Judo and Boxing instead of BJJ....

Back