To cup or not cup

Neuro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
That is the question:

I used to never wear a cup, because I was lazy and I didn't think I needed one, have been struck in the balls frequently, but never thought I needed one until last week because now I've been out for about 5-6 with sore balls, that I had to see a doctor about.

I'm going to start wearing one now, but I'm not looking forward to it because it inhibits flexibility, and if you can't compete with one, I'd rather not wear one as much during practice.

Worst part was, mine got injured when I had a dude's back, putting in a RNC, and he just shifted the wrong way-- crushed one and I had to tap it was bad enough.

That is the question:

I used to never wear a cup, because I was lazy and I didn't think I needed one, have been struck in the balls frequently, but never thought I needed one until last week because now I've been out for about 5-6 with sore balls, that I had to see a doctor about.

I'm going to start wearing one now, but I'm not looking forward to it because it inhibits flexibility, and if you can't compete with one, I'd rather not wear one as much during practice.

Worst part was, mine got injured when I had a dude's back, putting in a RNC, and he just shifted the wrong way-- crushed one and I had to tap it was bad enough.

I wear one. I don't see how they inhibit flexibility tho. Granted, they're not comfortable at first, but you get used to them.

I have never heard of a comp where you can't wear a cup...

I used to not wear one because I just couldn't get comfortable in one... I never wore one wrestling and I just don't like the feel. I rarely hurt my balls, and can't think of a time I ever really took a major trauma...

But I don't like the feel of another guys jiggly balls in my face (or on my back, etc.). So I applied the golden rule and I started wearing one about 18 months ago. After about a month, I git used to it. It feels weird to roll without it now. You get used to it... and when you go to the teabag position for a kimura or something, your sparring partners will appreciate.

I don't wear them and i'm not a fan. But if I had to choose between wearing one and having broken balls...i'll wear the cup

I just started wearing a cup. My old team did not allow you to wear cups in BJJ class. My new gym everybody wears cups and I didn't want to be the only guy with my balls flopping everywhere so I bought this cup and wore it for the first time today and it was awesome, didn't even notice I had it on. Shock Doctor Compression Shorts with Flex Cup | Youth Groin Protectors | Boxing Protective Gear and Equipment from Title Boxing

Also you can buy it in modells that where I got mine. Hope this helps.

Your gross if you don't wear a cup.... No one wants your balls in their face..... I just don't get people that don't wear cups... If you don't care then wear it out of courtesy for the people your training with.

Hey I asked this in another thread, but it is more relevant here. I am in a similar situation with you TS as I never wore a cup during wrestling but am considering wearing one for jiu jitsu.

My main problem is that despite getting the correct size, it seems to move around to much. I have yet to wear one during practice, but just trying it on it does not feel like it's secure. Also it bulges out... a lot it kind of looks ridiculous, despite having shorts on it looks like I have a raging boner going on.

i don't wear one.. seems like your junk gets tough after a few months.

you'll also train your body to naturally shrimp while people are passing your guard, HA!

i think they say they cant use Cups because it can help with mioves like the Armbar???, not sure but my instuctor siad he wore when evem if thecopm stated not to.

I've known some people that just to be dicks to folk they didn't like or to prove a point would get mount or take the back and just grind their cupinto the other person. For this I can see why the IBJJF may not allow them. But in training I always wear one. You get used to them and besides. I've caught some pretty hard knees to boys over the years and am glad I had one on.

I didn't know that about IBJJF comp... I would still wear one though.

I wear a shirt under my gi too though, just because I don't want to slop my sweaty man boobs in some guy's face. And to protect against skin disease. A lot of comps don't let you wear a shirt either.

I mean in wrestling, it is not like you practice in a singlet... A lot of bjj guys insist on wearing the exact comp uniform to practice in though. I tend to make my training uniform decisions based on my training partner's best interests... so for me, a cup is a definite go. But, like I said, I went for a long time without one. If my balls were getting the mortar and pestle treatment, I would have worn one immediately though.

Nobody likes floppy balls in there face, if you don't wear a cup at least wear compression shorts!

I always protect my boys.

Nobody likes floppy balls in there face, if you don't wear a cup at least wear compression shorts!

I always wear compression shorts or my sliding shorts from the baseball days.

i think they say they cant use Cups because it can help with mioves like the Armbar???, not sure but my instuctor siad he wore when evem if thecopm stated not to.

Yeah, it makes moves that use the hip/crotch area really hurt. Armbar is the notable one. It sucks because when someone is trying to apply the armbar you sometimes want to tap out of the pain of the cup just driving into your arm/elbow.

When I wear a cup, I find I get hit more, and it hurts my balls, an surronding areas a lot. I just don't like em.

i have it but i prefer not to use it. i've been fortunate enough to avoid any direct hits but i do wear compression shorts to keep things in place. i think i'm going to have to start wearing with more regularity though because i always hate the ball-crushing that potentially happens with armbars & triangles.

Back