1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

To Conor Fans from Fight Fans

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Breaking, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Breaking One shall stand, and one shall fall.

We want to see great fights—you want to see Conor recognized as great...But the only way he’ll really be recognized as great is by proving himself against a wide range of talented fighters with different and dynamic skill sets—The same way that every GOAT-level champion has...

At the end of the day, that means that you should be clamoring for the same things that the rest of us FIGHT fans are asking for...put him in there against Gaethje, Felder, Hooker, Lee, etc... or Colby, Edwards, Masvidal, Woodley, etc.

It’s a win/win! You guys get to see your hero prove the doubters wrong, and we get to see great fights that are determined by the normal expectations of competitive sports (the quality of your opponents, the outcome of competitions, the weight classes you’ve had your achievements in, etc)

But here’s my suspicion: You don’t actually believe that he would win all of those fights—and neither do the top guys in the UFC.

And neither does Conor.

If he and the UFC thought that he would win all of those fights, they would DEFINITELY make him fight his way to the top.

Why?

Because he and the UFC would get major paydays for EACH fight. That would mean 2-3 major paydays before his well-earned titleshot. It would also mean no controversy because he did it fairly-squarely.

Instead, everyone wants him to skip right to the titleshot, where he’ll just get smashed by Khabib again—and they’ll only get one major payday out of it.

Why settle for one big money fight when you could get three or four?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  2. n.diazismylife1999 Red Belt

Nice strawman bud

3. Breaking One shall stand, and one shall fall.

Tell me where I’m wrong.

also, that’s not how “the strawman fallacy” works.

The strawman fallacy is when you mis-state someone else’s argument and then respond to that mis-statement and not to the original argument.

Whose argument did I mis-state?

4. Jew Jif Shoes Nullius in Verba

Agreed. A title shot would be unwarranted at this point, he needs another win. If he wants a shot at the LW belt, have him fight Gaethje. If he wants a shot at WW, give him Mas.

5. n.diazismylife1999 Red Belt

"Conor fans"

6. LDC93 Blue Belt

This right here

7. Breaking One shall stand, and one shall fall.

Which argument from Conor’s fans did I mis-state?

8. 91 seconds Sideburn Fedor is 31-0

Instead he'll be handed multiple title shots to try to get him a third belt without putting in the work like everyone else for the sole purpose of the UFC marketing machine. They want that image on T-shirts, video games etc..and we'll get to hear how spectacular the achievement was, unprecedented in the sports history..lmao
    images (19).jpeg

9. TheChosenOne Banned Banned

Conrat fans aren't fans of the sport. They idolise a man like a young teenage girl idolises Justin Bieber. Perhaps one of those new age genders would best suit them rather than 'male'.

Conrat fans want the following:

- Undeserved title shots
    - Undeserved rematches but to never give them
    - Hold divisions hostage whilst their hero decides to box or do something else
    - Pick and choose favourable match ups
    - Act like a clown with no repercussions
    - Count fame, money, houses, cars, jets as more important than MMA record and legacy

As you can see they are pure cancer.

10. Frost777 White Belt

I want to see Conor take another fight or two before getting any title shots also, but it wouldn’t be totally unreasonable for him to get a shot at Khabib now. Remember that he is only 1 fight removed from being UFC Champion, the most deserving contender is Gaethje whose best win is also Donald Cerrone lol. Also Conor owns knockout victories over both of the men who have defeated Gaethje.

Personally I’d rather see Conor fight Masvidal or Gaethje next to properly earn a title shot in either division he chooses, I just want to remind some of the haters that Conor getting a title shot wouldn’t be totally undeserved.

11. Kung Fu Kowboy Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Forget Khabib at the moment... if both win make it happen at the end of the year. For now give us Masvidal and that BMF Panty Night!!! :)

12. TheChosenOne Banned Banned

Nope it does nothing for Khabib's legacy, I want his last few fights to be meaningful against rightful and deserving contenders even if that means him losing to them.

13. Breaking One shall stand, and one shall fall.

But usually champs with no title-defenses aren’t given immediate rematches, and usually challengers that get dominated and finished aren’t given immediate rematches. So the “only 1 fight removed” argument doesn’t really work.

I just want the same basic thing from champions and challengers—to fight your way to the top, and to fight to stay on top...nothing more, nothing less.

14. soulsstealer Silver Belt

oh please name me another fighter that has fought a wide variety of fighters like conor across all weight divs.

fight fans eh you dont like being called a conor hater?

15. Ritler Blue Belt

Conor fans are the fight fans. Conor is MMA. cowboy represented your logic . one and done. believe dat.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  16. Breaking One shall stand, and one shall fall.

Not a Conor hater at all. I am, however, a Conor-fan hater.

But I’m trying to extend an olive branch, so that maybe we could join forces...

17. Breaking One shall stand, and one shall fall.

Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, Demetrius Johnson, Dan Henderson, Rumble Johnson, Frankie Edgar, Daniel Cormier, Jared Canonier...just off the top of my head.

18. cmw43 Bad Boys Club

Conor wants big fights.

He couldn't book a big fight coming off the Khabib loss, he'd have no hype behind him.

The Cowboy win rebuilds the brand and now he can have a big fight and do big numbers, Masvidal makes the most sense and if he won that then the worlds his oyster.

19. soulsstealer Silver Belt

only DC is champ champ and he keeps fighting same guys over and over cuz lhw and hw are weak div

20. Frost777 White Belt

The one fight removed statement wasn’t an argument it was just a fact, I wouldn’t have wanted to see him get an instant rematch, nor do I personally want to see him get the next title shot. I was just stating that the only other person up for consideration of the title shot has lost to men which Conor defeated soundly and Gaethje’s best career win is Donald Cerrone.

I don’t think it would be a crime if Conor got the title shot because he has achieved greater things and beaten better opponents than Gaethje.

Again with all that being said, I would rather see Gaethje get the title shot because he is a new different challenge for Khabib and I don’t believe the Conor rematch would go very differently right now.

I’d most like to see Conor and Gaethje fight each other for the shot so there could be no argument over who is the most deserving. That or Conor just stay at 170 and try to make that work, but that probably won’t go very well for him lol.