To Bones haters re: rehab...

First and foremost what NOBODY on Sherdog seems to recognize is "intricacies" within drug treatment centers.

I can help ever so slightly, but ignoramuses won't listen.

1. Inpatient vs outpatient treatment! Nationwide over 80% of the addicts go through outpatient treatment. Less than 20% enter inpatient facilities.

2. The national waiting time for a bed in an inpatient treatment rehab is roughly a month.

3. Detox ALWAYS precedes recovery treatment.

OK, Even if Jon considers himself one of the top 20 percentile most serious addicts, and is intending on doing a 30 day inpatient stint and has applied for a bed he will likely not be able to be admitted until mid February.

There is no detox for coke. It's a real man's drug.

Unfair but true... You get what you pay for in this world. If you have the 7 to 10 grand it costs for the first week in a top shelf rehab and you're not picky about where it is located, there are at least a dozen places that will admit you within 24 hours.

That "real man's drug" thing was a joke. But there honestly is not a detox for coke. It's a few days of abject misery but with no risk of the extremely dangerous spikes of booze/opiate/benzo withdrawal.

I gotta say, as a fan of Jon Jones, that I like to see him fight and I don't know the situation is grave at all, so I can't possibly grasp it without that information.

All I know is had taken coke in December of 2014 and that he's been beating every ass handed to him and is the best in the world.

As a fan, I want to see him fight. If he doesn't feel he needs treatment but instead wants to beat more ass for me to watch, UNLESS I GET INFORMATION STRONG ENOUGH TO MAKE ME WORRY ABOUT HIS HEALTH MORE THAN ENJOY HIS FIGHTS, I want to see him fight again ASAP.

Gustafffsssonnn (sp?), bring it on son!

sorry, but don't you think coke is bad no matter how you look at it?
In the end, it will cut his career short or he will stop training, etc.

Coke is not something he can simply "put it aside". And the damage he does will have consequences.

So you are either a terrible fan, or you don't understand that allowing him to do it now will cut your own entertainment in the long run.

sorry, but don't you think coke is bad no matter how you look at it?
In the end, it will cut his career short or he will stop training, etc.

Coke is not something he can simply "put it aside". And the damage he does will have consequences.

So you are either a terrible fan, or you don't understand that allowing him to do it now will cut your own entertainment in the long run.

I hope it's not the terrible fan bit....

Jon says he plans to retire by 35 so I don't know this will cut his fighting short at all. And I gotta be honest, no, I don't believe cocaine is bad any way you cut it (excuse the pun).

I've never done any hard drugs at all because I have an addictive nature and I'd probably struggle if I did. But I know guys who've done coke for years and years recreationally and just stopped.

So no, I don't know that it's bad on its own. If I though Jon was in danger I'd tell him to look after it, but all I know is he's enjoying himself.

He's an adult and I think he has the rights to take any drug he wants. If he's enjoying it (I know ppl who have enjoyed their coke, weed, drink, other party drugs) then it's his life. Do I have enough information to adopt the stance that this is a threat to his health or fighting? No, I really can't say I do.

he's not some poor kid who made friends with the wrong crowd. he's some famous dbag that apparently also has a coke problem (like a lot of famous hollywood dbags).

it is literally entirely on him.

he's not some poor kid who made friends with the wrong crowd. he's some famous dbag that apparently also has a coke problem (like a lot of famous hollywood dbags).

it is literally entirely on him.

Exactly. He doesn't need our saving. If he wants to do coke, let him. He's a big man.

Cocaine isn't even physically addictive... you can just quit cold turkey you don't need rehab... rehab is for stuff like alcohol and barbituates... stuff that makes you sick and crazy if you don't have it.. You guys are all goofs.

Cocaine is incredibly addictive. Crack is the most addictive thing out there. There is NO DETOX process or protocol for cocaine simply because one has not been discovered. Partly because there hasn't been any rush to do so. Coke withdrawal is terrible, yet nowhere near as potentially deadly as heroin/booze. But the fact that withdrawal symptoms are better or worse for different substances has nothing to do with whether or not they are addictive.

duh.. I meant barbiturates, opiates, alcohol... you know stuff where you get withdrawals and sick from...

I did cocaine every single day when I was 18-21 and then just quit with 0 problem... like it didn't even matter.

Wow. You must have spent a fuck-load of money on baking soda...or baby laxative. Or else you're delusional because you did so much coke.

Or you're just lying because if you'd done that much coke you'd actually be kind of cool and at least seemingly smart.

Narcotic means opiate, drugs that are made from the opium poppy, or are synthesized to work similarly (morphine, codeine, OxyContin and Percocet (oxycodone), hydrocodone drugs (like Vicodin and Norco) and Heroin, etc). Cocaine is not a narcotic.

Ummm. You speak the literal truth, but you're being somewhat less than intellectually honest.

Cocaine does not fall under the definition you cite. However the term "narcotic" is applied to cocaine by the American legal system and the medical community.

In this context the misnomer wrinkle is a footnote.

I hope it's not the terrible fan bit....

Jon says he plans to retire by 35 so I don't know this will cut his fighting short at all. And I gotta be honest, no, I don't believe cocaine is bad any way you cut it (excuse the pun).

I've never done any hard drugs at all because I have an addictive nature and I'd probably struggle if I did. But I know guys who've done coke for years and years recreationally and just stopped.

So no, I don't know that it's bad on its own. If I though Jon was in danger I'd tell him to look after it, but all I know is he's enjoying himself.

He's an adult and I think he has the rights to take any drug he wants. If he's enjoying it (I know ppl who have enjoyed their coke, weed, drink, other party drugs) then it's his life. Do I have enough information to adopt the stance that this is a threat to his health or fighting? No, I really can't say I do.

I see your point.
But I only disagree with the coke part.
I wouldn't mind if this was weed. I would actually laugh my ass of!
But coke... "shit just got serious" comes to my mind....

I never did coke, but I do have relatives who "tried" and then they "just did it at parties", and then, they were selling things from their home to buy some more....

So I respect & fear it.
I understand you saying it's his life. But you don't know and can't say this will have no effect on the long run.
And that is if it won't affect him on the short run as well. After all, this kid has a true gift. And he CAN throw all that away. One bad trip is all it takes IMO....

A heart attack, or even doing something stupid while high!
It can all end his career due to that...

So I would much rather the UFC forced him into a 6 months rehab (while on "suspension" and when he came out, he could simply pick up where he left off.

But doing nothing they are basically taking the same stance as you... but to me, it is a very risky one!

Exactly. He doesn't need our saving. If he wants to do coke, let him. He's a big man.

again, disagree.
We are not saving him.

But the same way you cannot go drunk to work, Zuffa (his employee) should not allow their athletes to do drugs as it obviously depreciate the "product".

Zuffa don't allow fighters to ride bikes (though it blows my mind how they award Harleys to them)... But look at Mir's accident.

If Jon would be on a bike instead of his bentley...

So the same way they try to protect the fighters from doing something stupid, same thing applies here...

Honestly, when are Jones fans going to get off the cross?

Jones is a non-issue. NSAC and the Zuffa company are the issue. The whole Jones coke thing is just a funny sidenote because it was a guy who pretended he was a stand-up individual and he's not. Not the worst thing in the world. We now get to point and laugh for a little bit, but he's still a total badass in the cage.

Cocaine isn't even physically addictive... you can just quit cold turkey you don't need rehab... rehab is for stuff like alcohol and barbituates... stuff that makes you sick and crazy if you don't have it.. You guys are all goofs.

Are you stupid. Go tell that to the bunches of millionaires whethere it's athlete or banker who lost everything because of coke. Coke is highly addicting. Not everyone can kick it just saying "I'm going cold turkey "

[YT]KUmZp8pR1uc[/YT]
This also is a health and safety problem. NSAC Should be concerned with the safety of its fighters (Jones training with Cocaine in his system a month before the fight, could be life threatening). Its a Joke that they only told the ufc about the failed test (if you believe that they didn't tell Jones). The promoter obviously has a conflict of interest, and doing the right thing/would be against their own monetary interests.

Back