To be honest i miss Vitali Klitschko

MoreKane

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
2014-09-12_-_Vitali_Klitschko_-_9019_%28cropped%29.jpg

was an amazing, fun to watch with such a unique style that no one else did, and the abundance of punches he would throw, the stamina for a man that size. Wlad was the greater technical fighter and has the greater legacy but i always thought Vitali was better than Wlad h2h

Definitely an asset for any era. Especially in this day and age when we have severel good heavyweights that match his height.

Vitali was to me the best HW in the world after Lewis. It's a shame he was always in the shadow of his brother. If they had fought each other it would be one of the best HW fights since Foreman and Ali.

Vitali was to me the best HW in the world after Lewis. It's a shame he was always in the shadow of his brother. If they had fought each other it would be one of the best HW fights since Foreman and Ali.

Wut? Wladimir was in Vitali's shadow up until his retirement in 2004, not the other way around.

And even during his comeback run I wouldn't say that Vitali was in the shadow of Wladimir... Certain fights from Wladimir sparked more public interest (like Chambers, Haye) due to Wlads weak chin and the possibility him getting KO'd as seen severel times before, whereas Vitali boxed a line of lackluster opponents.
But the main issue was that when Vitali came back it was plain from the very outset that he's not going to war with the main man in the division - his brother Wladimir.

Wut? Wladimir was in Vitali's shadow up until his retirement in 2004, not the other way around.

And even during his comeback run I wouldn't say that Vitali was in the shadow of Wladimir... Certain fights from Wladimir sparked more public interest (like Chambers, Haye) due to Wlads weak chin and the possibility him getting KO'd as seen severel times before, whereas Vitali boxed a line of lackluster opponents.
But the main issue was that when Vitali came back it was plain from the very outset that he's not going to war with the main man in the division - his brother Wladimir.
I was thinking after his first retirement. Vitali was known but he never got nearly as much acclaim as Wlad despite nearly beating Lewis and avenging Wlads Sanders loss. Vitali was dismissed as tough but robotic and Wlad was the boxer. And as you mentioned he was never going to fight his brother so what's the point of supporting him? That's the very definition of in his shadow. Letting his brother be champion and never challenging him for it.

Last edited:
Loved the way he’d keep his hands down yet still not even get touched. That beating he gave Chris Arreola. A beautiful boxing clinic

I was thinking after his first retirement. Vitali was known but he never got nearly as much acclaim as Wlad despite nearly beating Lewis and avenging Wlads Sanders loss. Vitali was dismissed as tough but robotic and Wlad was the boxer. And as you mentioned he was never going to fight his brother so what's the point of supporting him? That's the very definition of in his shadow. Letting his brother be champion and never challenging him for it.

No I don't agree with that. You're making stuff up, sorry.

He absolutely got credit for the Lennox Lewis fight.
It was sort of the highlight of the Klitschko documentary years ago.

They both alternate has the supposed best brother. Prior to the Puritty lost, Wlad was viewed as the better.of the two. Afterward, Vitaly took the spotlight, but he pretty much was viewed as a hype job after the Byrd fiasco, and Wlad retook the lead, only to lose it with his two disastrous performances against Sanders and Brewster (and even Peter to a lesser degree). Afterward, id say Vitaly was pretty much viewed as the better of the Klit (rightly or wrongly), until his retirement.

All in all, while i like Vitaly a lot more than Wlad, im not so sure he was actually better. Sure, he didn't had the vulnerabilities of Wlad, but he was much less skilled, fast and agile. He's a bit of a question mark. He lost against the two best fighters he faced due to injury/cut, but the rest of his resume is very underwhelming. To his credit, he was mostly dominant against them, but as i said, it's hard to rate how good he was (or wasn't)

Last edited:
No I don't agree with that. You're making stuff up, sorry.

He absolutely got credit for the Lennox Lewis fight.
It was sort of the highlight of the Klitschko documentary years ago.
Yeah he did get credit for Lewis, let's not forget that his lost that fight also, but when he retired, Wlad got a lot more popular during that time and eclipsed him in my view. Making what up, you yourself even admitted that Vitali would never challenge Wlad. That's the very definition of being in his shadow even if it was by choice.

They both alternate has the supposed best brother. Prior to the Puritty lost, Wlad was viewed as the better.of the two. Afterward, Vitaly took the spotlight, but he pretty much was viewed as a hype job after the Byrd fiasco, and Wlad retook the lead, only to lose it with his two disastrous performances against Sanders and Brewster (and even Peter to a lesser degree). Afterward, id say Vitaly was pretty much viewed as the better of the Klit (rightly or wrongly), until his retirement.

All in all, while i like Vitaly a lot more than Wlad, im not so sure he was actually better. Sure, he didn't had the vulnerabilities of Wlad, but he was much less skilled, fast and agile. He's a bit of a question mark. He lost against the two best fighters he faced due to injury/cut, but the rest of his resume is very underwhelming. To his credit, he was mostly dominant against them, but as i said, it's hard to rate how good he was (or wasn't)
Agree with all of this. And the highlighted bit is why Vitali didn't get so much credit. He was seen as being tough but also stiff like a robot.

Wlad was the greater technical fighter and has the greater legacy but i always thought Vitali was better than Wlad h2h
For sure, no wonder Lennox retired soon after. (if it wasn't for that cut, he was clearly winning on points and still looked fresh). Vitali was way tougher than Wladimir. Could take a lot of punishment. and unlike Wlad, wasn't afraid of getting involved in wars. Had one hell of a chin. a guy like this would've been a nightmare for any HW greats of any era. Looked very awkward, wasn't as refined as Wlad. But likely would've beaten his own brother to become undisputed.

Wlad got a lot of hate but i enjoyed his career. Plus his fights took place during the day

For sure, no wonder Lennox retired soon after. (if it wasn't for that cut, he was clearly winning on points and still looked fresh). Vitali was way tougher than Wladimir. Could take a lot of punishment. and unlike Wlad, wasn't afraid of getting involved in wars. Had one hell of a chin. a guy like this would've been a nightmare for any HW greats of any era. Looked very awkward, wasn't as refined as Wlad. But likely would've beaten his own brother to become undisputed.

Eh, when you’re up by 2 points after round 6, your opponent is gaining momentum and your face is falling apart, you’re not exactly cruising to a victory. Vitali was pretty good but his ability to beat an over the hill version of Lewis isn’t a given.

Let's appreciate the fact that TS' definitely thread-worthy 3-line text is accompanied by a giant poster of Vitali Klitschko. We wouldn't know which Vitali Klitschko he was talking about otherwise.

Let's appreciate the fact that TS' definitely thread-worthy 3-line text is accompanied by a giant poster of Vitali Klitschko. We wouldn't know which Vitali Klitschko he was talking about otherwise.

That’s the biggest effort he’s ever put in a thread.

Well you got the Politician and the Boxer . What are the odds they would have the same name and look like they are family

i think there are a few people in this thread who werent old enough to be around when Vitali was active judging by some of the comments

Back