To be honest, I always saw Usyk as being better than Loma

He got hurt in the 12th, sure, but Lopez had been hurt by Lomachenko several times in that second half of the fight. At one point many were wondering if he'd get stopped because he was taking deep breaths and backing off looking to recover. He was getting pieced up. This is a typical Seano false narrative.
Here's what Lopez said-
“I expected more,” Lopez said during a post-fight press conference. “A lot of people were talking highly about him and I expected more, but basic – he was pretty basic, honestly, overall....”
https://www.boxingscene.com/lopez-i-expected-more-from-lomachenko-he-pretty-basic-honestly--152571

His speed is all that really makes him special. Nothing wrong with that, lots of great fighters have made careers of it. He has many holes in his game.

Inability to adjust?
Yeah, strange narrative here usually comes only from these " only U.S boxer might be good, others are 0 and hype jobs " mantra guys.

If Loma was not able to adjust, Rigo and Campbell had finished him in distance, Linares too.
Especially if ppl does know how high level top material Rigo was even in amateurs.

Yeah, strange narrative here usually comes only from these " only U.S boxer might be good, others are 0 and hype jobs " mantra guys.

If Loma was not able to adjust, Rigo and Campbell had finished him in distance, Linares too.
Especially if ppl does know how high level top material Rigo was even in amateurs.
He's basically a fast grinder, which is sort of unique, but he fights everyone pretty much the same way, every round he wins looks about the same.

Loma did well only in round 11th and that's because he was in desperate mode.

In round 12 couldn't do the same. Lopez didn't have to leave anything in the tank so got in there and bitchslapped him.
It looked like the referee saved him. Tim Bradley was shouting in disbelief when he separated them with a few seconds remaining.
And once the action resumed Lopez had him on the ropes.

Loma was at last exactly where he wanted, fighting on the inside, but unfortunately for him Lopez was the one landing the hooks and uppercuts both on the body and head.
Loma had to eat one to give one.

relativie to their weight classes

Usyk seems more unbelivable to me in a way because of his infintie cardio and footwork at HW than Loma

still not as skilled as Fury, but amazingly skilled
Usyk looked shit against some nobody at HW while being slightly undersized.
Loma had a close decision loss after beating up a bunch of people 2 divisions up from where he naturally should be.
Usyk is more hittable than Loma, look at the Bellew fight.

Usyk looked shit against some nobody at HW while being slightly undersized.
Loma had a close decision loss after beating up a bunch of people 2 divisions up from where he naturally should be.
Usyk is more hittable than Loma, look at the Bellew fight.
I agree with that, I just think Usyk's run at cruiser was better than any wins on Lomachenko's resume.

More like he realized Lopez was not going to crumble by himself and decided to take more risks and go on the offensive. From memory, Loma switched it up in round 8 and Lopez didn't look tired until round 10.
This, it's pretty obvious that Loma just said fuck it and decided to engage. He played it too safe in the first half of the fight and was too worried about Lopez's power and size. Lopez held his position well in the early rounds, Loma could not turn him and find a way in. But as soon as Loma threw caution to the wind and went in he started winning rounds and doing more damage than Lopez. Lopez's crowning glory was round 12 when he really bit down. That won him the fight in my eyes because if Loma had won round 12 then the fight would've have been a draw. But that's excluding the judges scores, especially Lederman's ridiculous 119-109. Hardly anyone seems to be mentioning the score cards being rather dubious.

Last edited:
I agree with that, I just think Usyk's run at cruiser was better than any wins on Lomachenko's resume.
Now idk about all that.
Any man that frustrates Rigo enough to quit on the stool is a very high standard to pass as a win.

Now idk about all that.
Any man that frustrates Rigo enough to quit on the stool is a very high standard to pass as a win.
Rigo moved up two weight classes. When Golovkin, Canelo and Floyd fought opponents like that, they were mocked.

This, it's pretty obvious that Loma just said fuck it and decided to engage. He played it too safe in the first half of the fight and was too worried about Lopez's power and size. Lopez held his position well in the early rounds, Loma could not turn him and find a way in. But as soon as Loma threw caution to the wind and went in he started winning rounds and doing more damage than Lopez. Lopez's crowning glory was round 12 when he really bit down. That won him the fight in my eyes because if Loma had won round 12 then the fight would've have been a draw. But that's excluding the judges scores, especially Lederman's ridiculous 119-109. Hardly anyone seems to be mentioning the score cards being rather dubious.

I mean if you exclude the judges scores, why... why anyone can be the winner! How practical!

More like he realized Lopez was not going to crumble by himself and decided to take more risks and go on the offensive. From memory, Loma switched it up in round 8 and Lopez didn't look tired until round 10.
Lopez was also getting broken down to the body by hard straight lefts which is what got him into real trouble. I think it was round 9 where Lopez almost went down from a hook as well. He should've stepped to Lopez much sooner so he really only has himself to blame.

Lopez was also getting broken down to the body by hard straight lefts which is what got him into real trouble. I think it was round 9 where Lopez almost went down from a hook as well. He should've stepped to Lopez much sooner so he really only has himself to blame.

Lopez was kind of shaken in rounds 9 to 11, for sure. Now, as for Loma’s stepping on the gas pedal earlier... It would also have been a risky move, as Lopez’s punches were full of steam. I think the first few times Lopez landed really kept him honest.

Lopez was kind of shaken in rounds 9 to 11, for sure. Now, as for Loma’s stepping on the gas pedal earlier... It would also have been a risky move, as Lopez’s punches were full of steam. I think the first few times Lopez landed really kept him honest.
Yeah. It's a risky move but it's either try or wait until it's maybe too late to take your chances. He had to get in either way though or else he's not even giving himself a chance in there. It may not have worked out for him but a rematch would be highly interesting to me. Lopez was being forced to fight at Loma's pace when the pressure was turned up and the combos were out to where he was visibly declining in there. It didn't take long at all with the body work for that to become very obvious.

If Loma does get a rematch in the not too distant future, assuming Lopez is still at Lightweight for a bit longer, I see Loma taking his chances much earlier and utilizing intelligent pressure from the start to get to him again. Loma was shook early from the power and it forced him to overly respect him while he was still fully fresh. It cost him the fight or at least the potential to realistically win the fight on the cards (ignoring Julie Lederman's ridiculous card).

Yeah. It's a risky move but it's either try or wait until it's maybe too late to take your chances. He had to get in either way though or else he's not even giving himself a chance in there. It may not have worked out for him but a rematch would be highly interesting to me. Lopez was being forced to fight at Loma's pace when the pressure was turned up and the combos were out to where he was visibly declining in there. It didn't take long at all with the body work for that to become very obvious.

If Loma does get a rematch in the not too distant future, assuming Lopez is still at Lightweight for a bit longer, I see Loma taking his chances much earlier and utilizing intelligent pressure from the start to get to him again. Loma was shook early from the power and it forced him to overly respect him while he was still fully fresh. It cost him the fight or at least the potential to realistically win the fight on the cards (ignoring Julie Lederman's ridiculous card).

I certainly wouldn’t mind a rematch in which Lomachenko would take a chance earlier. That would be thrilling - based on the second half of the first encounter -, maybe dramatic.

I mean if you exclude the judges scores, why... why anyone can be the winner! How practical!
So you thought the judges scorecards were fine? 119-109? Really? I had it 115-113. It's pretty clear that Loma couldn't have won that fight without knocking out Lopez.

Well, speed is what makes him special, I guess.
He's a tough guy to hit, has a very creative and sneaky offense, great footwork, slippery angles and more. It isn't just the speed.

Back