To all those who attribute jones success to his size...

The size thing attributed to Jones is just another way for his haters to try and tear him down. You don't hear people say one fighter hits too hard for the division or another is naturally too much stronger or yet another fighter is naturally faster.

The best fighters maximize whatever their natural abilities and attributes are. That's one reason Struve isn't great as a HW. He's one of the worse I've ever seen at utilizing his superior reach. Another like that is MW, Kendall Grove.

I'm not sure about how much it really affected the results because it's mainly a striking match and I know little about striking.

However, I do know that in Judo, most of the trips and leg throws are more effective performing on shorter opponents while shoulder throws or lifting throws are better against taller opponents. I remember Jones trying for a trip and failing terribly.

Oh and saying Jones lost to Gus because of Gus's height is as ridiculous as saying Monson lost to Cormier because Cormier negated his stockiness.

Try and try all you like, but it's clear as day that Jones is a big fish in a small pond.

Attempting to convince everybody otherwise is only going to drive you further insane.

Jones can't beat up people his own size. Fact.

I would take this a step further and say that they reason Jon looks so good against smaller opponents is because his game plans headed into those fights are to never throw punches in boxing range. Once his opponent is too close, he opens his palm and backs away. He avoids striking with anyone in close quarters. Just so happens that Gustafsson didn't need to be in that normal range that Jones has seen in his previous title fights.

Being that Gustafsson won't shrink between now and the second fight I would suggest that Jon learn some tighter techniques because Gustafsson has proven that he can stop the oh so dreadful Jon Jones takedown. Jones has his hands full. I honestly believe Gustafsson having a longer reach (but most importantly shorter than Jon) helped him with boxing in close w/ Jon.

Can't wait to see the rematch.

The funniest part is the people who say Jones only wins because of his size never say the same about Gus who is even bigger than Jones. You never hear them say it's unfair for Struve to be fighting so much smaller guys either.

Sadly thats in part because Jones is black and the other two fighters are white. Some Jones haters are simply closeted racists who will deny Jones' skillset, mental aptitude, athleticism, etc, and instead attribute his victories to only his physical advantage of reach and height.

2004 wants its meme back.
CupiM.gif

Anyone who says Jones ONLY uses his size is just being ridiculous. Anybody who questions whether or not it was a good part of why he has been so successful is equally as foolish.

Jones arguably was beat by a single-style fighter who learned basic greco-defense. That's not to say Gus isn't a very good fighter or that Jones is a bad one. I'm just saying that Gus only chose a single facet and it made Jones look human... and Gus just happened to be the same size. That 'coincident' is hard to overlook.

All I know is Jones and Gustafsson made it really cool to be 6'6"+ and skinny.

Well now I guess we know size matters a lot don't we, so didn't the "haters" actually have a valid point? The alternative would be that Gus and Jones are way more skilled than all other fighters in LHW, which I personally find a lot less likely.

A game contender with a 6 fight win streak who almost became Champ and the 7 time title defender who was also the youngest LHW champ in the UFC. How do you manage to discredit Jones and Gus but still call yourself a fan of MMA? :eek:

GTFO.

Sadly thats in part because Jones is black and the other two fighters are white. Some Jones haters are simply closeted racists who will deny Jones' skillset, mental aptitude, athleticism, etc, and instead attribute his victories to only his physical advantage of reach and height.

I believe that too. Of course you'll get a lot of flack and denials but the fact people scrutinize every little thing Jones says or does then twist it in the most negative way possible makes me think it's true.

I can't even fathom hating someone I don't know personally.

A game contender with a 6 fight win streak who almost became Champ and the 7 time title defender who was also the youngest LHW champ in the UFC. How do you manage to discredit Jones and Gus but still call yourself a fan of MMA? :eek:

GTFO.

How did I discredit them? Did I say they have no skill and only size? No, but there are plenty of guys that are as skilled as them but they just don't have that reach to go with that. Gus and JJ are really good at using their reach, but still you have to have that reach to be able to use it. You just can't ignore that part.

Oh please, there are plenty of black fighters that are popular. Are you going to say people hate Rampage too because he's black even though so few people have anything against him? Jones just isn't a very likeable person, stop playing the race card in the wrong place.

All people are trying to point out, is that Jones reach and size are what makes him so dominant over other top LHW's. He's not 10x more skilled than Machida was, he's just lots bigger. If Jones was the same size as Machida and choked him like that, then I'd say he's just simply 10x more skilled. ya dig?

But he made Shogun, Rampage and Machida all look like sacks of crap, and that was thanks mostly to Jones using his athletic gifts to his advantage. Not saying he wouldn't have beaten them anyway if he was smaller, but he wouldn't have looked so beastly. That much we can conclude pretty safely after the Gus fight.

Oh please, there are plenty of black fighters that are popular. Are you going to say people hate Rampage too because he's black even though so few people have anything against him? Jones just isn't a very likeable person, stop playing the race card in the wrong place.

You can speak for yourself, but racism still exists in many people. Some may not even be wary of it.

You can speak for yourself, but racism still exists in many people. Some may not even be wary of it.

What the heck man, did I say racism doesn't exist anywhere in my post? Of course it does, but trying to blame people not liking Jones on mainly racism is silly.

Jones keeps getting the last laugh. His 'haters' are so desperate to discredit him they're even trying to invent a 'Shadface' meme when the guy fought his heart out and WON! He is deep in their heads and I would call having that sort of power over strangers money in the bank.

What the heck man, did I say racism doesn't exist anywhere in my post? Of course it does, but trying to blame people not liking Jones on mainly racism is silly.

On Sherdog and Bleacher report i'd say it's a fair amount. The number of threads having to be sanctioned or deleted due to people's racist comments sort of prove that, don't it? Also, why are fans so petty they attack the man's wife and children? Is this what MMA fans are about? Is the problem really Jones, or is it MMA 'fans.' I wish we could stop with the myth it's a small minority. When it comes to Jones it's quite a great deal who have an irrational and seemingly obsessive dislike. There is a little more at play here than people not liking his 'personality.'

Gustafsson's ability to cover distance more effectively and stop takedowns was the main difference. Size has a bit to do with both, but it's not the be all and end all.

Gustafsson is just a great fighter. If you could inflate Michael McDonald to 205 he would fight like Gus.

Some guys are just born warriors. I include Jones in that category.

Some Jones haters are simply closeted racists who will deny Jones' skillset, mental aptitude, athleticism, etc, and instead attribute his victories to only his physical advantage of reach and height.

Just like some will deny Gustafsson's skillset, mental aptitude and athleticism because he doesn't look like an 'explosive' African-American-Athlete. Or why some will overestimate another 'European' like Overeem because he does.

Nothing closeted about my 'racism'. I'm ethnocentric and honest about it. And I have no 'hate' for Jon Jones.

Back