To all those who attribute jones success to his size...

Beeeeeeeeee

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
After watching saturdays main event I came to sherdog and much to my dismay found many posts claiming that jones was less effective than normal because he did not possess the dramatically longer reach/height that he normally does over his opponent.

What these people fail to realise, is that this is because jones game is built around exploiting this fact. The strikes he chooses to use as well as the takedowns he has incorporated into his game are all chosen based on his frame relative to his opponents.

When his opponent is of a different frame, different techniques must be used, and these techniques have been practiced much less.

The situation we saw on saturday can be likened to 2 southpaws facing eachother- often awkward, as they are finally facing someone with the same attribute. This does not mean the southpaw striker was terrible all along and is being exposed by another southpaw, it means he is less refined in this facet of striking as he hardly encounters it.

6SD3VJN7

Jones has a well-rounded MMA game but his only real "skill" per se is wrestling. He succeeds and excels because of A) his size advantage, and B) his athletic advantage. The same with Gus, but with him his footwork gives him a huge boost. These two guys are head and shoulders above the rest of the LHW's because of their size and athleticism. Those 2 components allowed a HW who was EXTREMELY unskilled, MMA-wise, to win the HW belt and be a factor for a couple of years. Remember that guy?

The funniest part is the people who say Jones only wins because of his size never say the same about Gus who is even bigger than Jones. You never hear them say it's unfair for Struve to be fighting so much smaller guys either.

Try and try all you like, but it's clear as day that Jones is a big fish in a small pond.

Attempting to convince everybody otherwise is only going to drive you further insane.

Jones can't beat up people his own size. Fact.

After watching saturdays main event I came to sherdog and much to my dismay found many posts claiming that jones was less effective than normal because he did not possess the dramatically longer reach/height that he normally does over his opponent.

What these people fail to realise, is that this is because jones game is built around exploiting this fact. The strikes he chooses to use as well as the takedowns he has incorporated into his game are all chosen based on his frame relative to his opponents.

When his opponent is of a different frame, different techniques must be used, and these techniques have been practiced much less.

The situation we saw on saturday can be likened to 2 southpaws facing eachother- often awkward, as they are finally facing someone with the same attribute. This does not mean the southpaw striker was terrible all along and is being exposed by another southpaw, it means he is less refined in this facet of striking as he hardly encounters it.

i agree somewhat. jon jones really uses his size and reach to win.

his stand up needs work. i do think he will beat silva if he can take him down effectively.

i just think jones didnt prepare well enough doubt gus take down defense, doubt his take down skills, doubting him in general and he paided the price.

some say gus won cuz the fight should have been call due to jones cuts, which require him to go to the hosiptol

The funniest part is the people who say Jones only wins because of his size never say the same about Gus who is even bigger than Jones. You never hear them say it's unfair for Struve to be fighting so much smaller guys either.

shut up with your rationality, I came here to hate on Jones!

Or George Roop

I guess it's because there isn't a legion of guys claiming Gus' success has nothing to do with his size, it's just because he's such an explosive athlete etc.

After this fight, Jones can never say that Reach is irrelevant, Reach is absolutely relevant and him fighting GUS proved that.

Try and try all you like, but it's clear as day that Jones is a big fish in a small pond.

Attempting to convince everybody otherwise is only going to drive you further insane.

Jones can't beat up people his own size. Fact.

If Im not mistaken Gus looked pretty beat up to me. So did Jones. Im a Jones fan but lets not short change Gus. He is a very skilled fighter. They both used their size in this fight and fights before. I hear the argument all the time, JJ only wins because of his size and athleticism. Umm, Im over here like, isnt athleticism and size a big part of fighting? Look at smaller weight classes, the stronger faster guys usually win. i.e. Jose Aldo, Chad Mendes, Urijah Faber, Dom, Joe B, MM...Etc.

I guess it's because there isn't a legion of guys claiming Gus' success has nothing to do with his size, it's just because he's such an explosive athlete etc.

I don't believe anyone was making those comments though until the haters tried to dismiss Jones's accomplishments by saying he only wins via size.

If people are going to use a "_______ wins because she/he is much larger than his/her opponents" reasoning. Then, I'd like to know what they weigh come fight time.

HBO weighs I this boxers on fight night. Love to see an MMA organization do it.

I don't believe anyone was making those comments though until the haters tried to dismiss Jones's accomplishments by saying he only wins via size.

Well now I guess we know size matters a lot don't we, so didn't the "haters" actually have a valid point? The alternative would be that Gus and Jones are way more skilled than all other fighters in LHW, which I personally find a lot less likely.

Welcome to Sherdog. Hell of a way to get started with a thread like this.

I agree with you, although I find rather troublesome that he would consider using the same game-plan with a fighter that can counter all of the key elements of that game-plan.

Even though he won, it's back to the drawing board.

Back