To all the wrestlers!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Graciebarra 847, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Graciebarra 847

Graciebarra 847 Blue Belt

How much did your wrestling experience help with your bjj? Do you think you would be as good of a bjj player today if you never wrestled?

2. Nick Kilian

Nick Kilian Amateur Fighter

No I would suck so much. There is a scramble/balance factor gained from years of wrestling other BJJ guys just don't have.

EDIT: Not saying BJJ guys don't have it but I don't see it as much.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

And work ethic!

I have none of that!

4. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

5. Minnja

Minnja Touch-Butt white belt Platinum Member

I just started jujitsu and only had two practices but I seem to grasp alot of concepts faster then people with no grappling experience. Also, most of the people I've rolled with say I'm really fast and I'm assuming they mean during the scrambles. When I get caught in subs I try not to tap immediately and try to escape I think part of the pain endurance comes from wrestling. The importance of wrist control and hand-fighting is also something I have more experience with and I think because of that I have yet to tap out against people who are new like me.

6. Pierced7681

Pierced7681 Black Belt

I found having a wrestling background and getting to compete in a ton of wrestling tournaments in high school as well, made the transition to submission grappling a lot easier for me. I already had knowledge of takedowns, scrambling, taking the back and flipping my opponent over for the pin, to work with.

Only thing I was worried about was being on my back and using my guard, which is still the worst part of my game by far.

7. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

TONS AND TONS

No way.

8. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

used to be mine too, but I'm getting much better down there, as I pull guard on every roll now (just about). today I used a butterfly sweep, z guard to escape - td, and a deep half sweep. but yes it has always been the biggest hole in my game, but that's starting to change.

edit: there are two people not including instructors who still pass my half guard really easy (2 guys in particular ) but I'm getting better at recovering and making a go of it from there the traditional way now, as opposed to turning turtle and hooking an elbow and using a gramby, but that's still good sometimes too. i dunno. it's all a work in progress.

9. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Nothing wrong with that. i do it and I never wrestled before BJJ.

10. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

i think it helps you scramble out from bottom sometimes get your hips out sprawl, it definitely helps

11. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

aaah, ok. good to know. I'll keep using it in that case, but still I am definitely enjoying playing with some of these guards. love this stuff man.

edit:watching daravinious (sp?) v strause right now, and daravinious got mounted but kept his cool and pushed straus', slid his knee through and escaped. reversed had side mount, then straus escaped. back standing. some good grappling in this match.

12. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Yea, honestly, my takedowns aren't great, but even if they were, i'd play guard just because I have more fun playing from guard. Having said that, I'm just waiting on my knee to heal so I can return to wrestling.

13. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

while I advocate takedowns vehemently, I agree that all parts of the game are awesome and fun to work on.

14. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Yea. I enjoy learning takedowns, and drilling them.

I used to hate it before. When I was newer, my instructor would sometimes have us sharktank takedowns, but I didn't know any takedowns or how to sprawl. Tough days.

15. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

throwing you in the shark tank with no tds at all? :icon_surp

damn that is brutal. we should definitely at least have a takedown thread in here.

do you do gi or nogi? what takedowns are you working on?

16. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Mostly gi. When I initiate a TD in BJJ class, it's usually a single, often from an armdrag. A lot of the time, I tie up with them and grip fight, then kind of break away and attack a single or an armdrag--> single. My double legs suck, and I want to work on Ankle picks soon because I'm tall and lanky. When just wrestling, I usually work as a counter wrestler (is that a term? lol). I scramble well and find a way on top. Even before I did wrestling classes, I scrambled well. I had a few guys asking me if I wrestled just based on how I move in certain positions.

17. 206warrior

206warrior Purple Belt

for sure. good scrabbling, a nice single/double, and keeping really heavy on top are all great help in grappling no matter what it is.

18. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

Well my takedowns don't suck... :)

Wrestling helped me in all areas. Work ethic, pain threshold, weight cutting, takedowns, scrambling, how to stay heavy, being compact, and there's a quite a few moves that are similar to BJJ.

BJJ is still tough and a totally different game though.

19. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

It sounds like your initial approach to takedowns was working for you. it is very possible to be offensive and defensively minded at the same time. The Russians have this down to a science as explained in the following thread.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/russian-wrestling-stance-1351393/

20. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

I never realized this was the case with Russian wrestlers. One of the guys that gives me pointers was a national champ in Russia. Maybe I adopted his approach due to his coaching.