To all the casuals who think GSP could ever beat GOAT Anderson

But the deal was 178. I agree GSP had no business going to 185, though he didn't look small compared to Bisping..

The problem with 178 with 24 hours to rehydrate was that Anderson would be 15 pounds heavier than GSP at fight time. Mind you this is an ongoing problem with weigh ins, which is why a number of combat sports now have weigh-ins at fight time (or a couple of hours before at most). At 170 Anderson would have had to lose lean body mass to make the weight. Beyond that, 178 was only mentioned once, and then dropped -- everyone involved realized that not having it as a title fight would lose a lot of casuals viewers, and GSP, Anderson and the UFC make most of their money off of PPVs. That meant either 170 or 185 (or a new title at 178 I suppose).

GSP looked bigger and out of shape against Bisping -- and was, he was tired after the first round, not to mention slow and with bad timing. Basically he enjoyed four years of retirement then came back for some quick money without really training for the fight. Not that I blame GSP for that, most of us would happily cash in a lottery win. He didn't earn his title shot at MW (he'd never fought at MW, and hadn't fought at all in four years, or even trained much), but of course he was going to cash in that ticket when offered -- I put the blame on that on the UFC for offering the title shot, not GSP or Bisping for taking big money when offered.

If Anderson and GSP were the same size then Anderson could have made 170 as easily as GSP. Anderson is bigger, so they couldn't. That's the basic fact that anyone who thinks GSP and Anderson were the same size runs into. And of course GSP after four years of sitting around was bigger than pre-retirement (and fit) GSP, but that's hardly a surprise -- most professional athletes get bigger after retirement. Some get a lot bigger. The only exceptions are guys who did a lot of steroids when active, who tend to shrink when they stop. I think every UFC fighter takes PED's (including GSP and Anderson), but none of them took body builder levels, so they tend to put on weight when they're no longer training hard.

There is now way 2009 Anderson could have made 170, he was fighting at LHW too. Steroids were basically allowed pre usada era, with the simple ass testing method ufc was using on the fight of the night, everybody was cycling and they looked ripped. Now in the usada era, you have TJ you was using for 4 years befoe he got caught, I'd say 70% are still using. Its a matter of whether its legal or illegal, the same problem with prostitution, its in all countries, but in few its actually legal.

The fact that GSP didn't want that fight in the period 2008-2011, but wanted the oneeyed grandpa Bisping is because he knew he couldn't beat Anderson, who was too good back then. GSP would lose and his brand would get damaged. A fighter's brand is terribly damaged after a loss, his word is not worth 5 cents. Look at Whitaker now, nobody thinks high of him, he is just another loser, until he gets back to a 3 fight win streak. WHo knows what kind of trauma did GSP experience after his previous losses that made him terrified of losing again.

Don't kid yourself. Anderson could have made 170 if he wanted to badly enough. If you're implying that he couldn't make 170 because he was on steroids, then that's actually pretty good evidence that he could have made 170 if he wanted to... it's not like it's some impossible task to stop using steroids for a while.

Also, don't kid yourself into thinking GSP would not have taken that fight had they offered him a large enough payday for it. The reality is, the UFC did not want that fight enough to put up enough money to make it happen. And it's no wonder. As you say, you damage your brand when you lose. The UFC knew that if they made that fight they would be damaging the brand of one of their cash cows, regardless of the outcome.

Jesus Christ, Anderson Silva fans are fucking sad.

Dude, it's 2019. Neither of them are relevant in the current MMA landscape. This thread has been done 10000 times. You aren't adding anything new. Just being one of the hundred Silva dbag fans beating the deadest horse of a topic in MMA history.

Just reminisce about the times your boy was relevant..... You know, over half a decade ago?
Replace that with Jones and specially GSP, tell me if that's precisely the same thing. (Well, tbh, Jones doesn't have half as much lunatics as Silva or GSP, but then that's mostly due to Sherdog's hatred towards him, right?)

This is Sherdog after all :eek:

You should ask for a GSP vs Izzy fight. Now Izzy is Anderson Silva Lite, a water downed version of the GOAT, but even that version of Anderson will destroy GSP.
GO ahead GSP fanboys, beg GSP to ask for that fight. If GSP asks for Izzy, dana will grant him, cause ufc is dying and desperate for big fights.
Lets see GSP get obliterated by an Anderson copy.

Silva was too big for GSP.
But Silva asked for St. Pierre super fight many times, cause he knew it.
Anderson ducked Jon Jones.
Just like Jones is ducking HW division.
Weight classes are so important at this level.

Can you imagine prime WW champ GSP wrestlefuck prime MW champ Silva for 25 minutes or finish Silva (lol)? I can't imagine this.
Only because Georges was too small for him:
GSP - average size for welterweight then, 5'9" - 5'11", I think 5'10".
Silva - not the biggest, but big middleweight then, probably 6'2", he KOed LHWs easily in his prime.

People expected Georges to move up 15lbs and fight with real matrix back then.

The last thing any real GSP fan wants is to see GSP EVER fight again.

They have a good thing going now just hypothetically declaring their man to be capable of winning fights and mindlessly declaring him as GOAT.

Props to GSP for carefully constructing that record and getting out just in time to deny the haters the pleasure of seeing him getting brutally KO'ed.

But I still think any real, mature or non-gay/canadian MMA fan can see GSP for what he truly is. A WW legend and and all time great but certainly not the very best of all time.

They have a good thing going now just hypothetically declaring their man to be capable of winning fights and mindlessly declaring him as GOAT.

Props to GSP for carefully constructing that record and getting out just in time to deny the haters the pleasure of seeing him getting brutally KO'ed.

But I still think any real, mature or non-gay/canadian MMA fan can see GSP for what he truly is. A WW legend and and all time great but certainly not the very best of all time.

I'm a GSP critic (I've been warned several times because I said things related to his not having in my opinion earned his MW title shot against Bisping), but I don't want to see him fight again either. In fact, I don't want to see anyone over the age of 35 fight, period. The last thing MMA needs is a bunch of guys ending up like Muhammad Ali (and Ali was a much better fighter and athlete than anyone in MMA), poster boys for neurological damage that can be used to get MMA banned (like several national medical associations are suggesting). Once you're over 35 your reflexes have slowed so much that you not only can't get out of the way of many punches, but your neck muscles haven't time to tighten -- it gives some of the same effect as a sucker punch, causing way more damage than it would against younger guys with quicker reflexes.

GSP is over the hill. Its not what his fans want to hear, but its true (you need only look at his fight with Bisping, tired after one round, slow and timing way off, he was losing until he landed that hook). Why anyone would pay a penny to watch an old guy fight is beyond me. Plenty of good young fighters to watch, why put guys who should be on the sidelines announcing in the cage? GSP's fans and critics alike should be telling him to hang up the gloves, because he's long since past his best-before date.

Completely agree with what you posted here minus the very last line. The best of all time is super duper subjective. People will apply whatever criteria to make their favorite fighter the best of all time.

I am a big fan of both fighters and I'll leave it at that.

You should ask for a GSP vs Izzy fight. Now Izzy is Anderson Silva Lite, a water downed version of the GOAT, but even that version of Anderson will destroy GSP.
GO ahead GSP fanboys, beg GSP to ask for that fight. If GSP asks for Izzy, dana will grant him, cause ufc is dying and desperate for big fights.
Come on now!
GSP run from Whittaker! AFTER SIGNING A CONTRACT stating he'd fight him!!

He would NEVER accept a fight against the man who knocked him out!

Imagine being a fan of the most exciting, heart wrenching, barbaric, thrilling sport in the world.... And then imagine telling ppl you're a GSP fan. Lol pathetic.

GSP would lose worse than other guys that Anderson wrecked. Anderson is too big, elusive, fast. Even now Anderson would win.

I think realistically this matchup was 60/40 GSP regardless of what weight it took place at. GSP was simply the more well rounded fighter and could hold a pace for 25 minutes. Silva's tank was decent but not even remotely similar. Sure Anderson could have lit him up, but that isn't the norm in this matchup. Anderson had been on a few noteworthy occasions exposed for weak grappling. He couldn't handle a guys like Takase and Sonnen, what the hell was he going to do against a fighter 10x better than either of those two?

60/40 is being generous. Probably more like 80/20.

the casuels dont knwo that gsp was the reason they never fought in the right place.

gso fans boys still cant handle gsp is ducking khabib

If Chael Sonnen can beat the shit out of him for 24.5 mins, no reason to think GSP wouldn't be competitive.

chael also was jucied out of mind and i believe anderson didnt take chael seriouly that why he crushed chael in the rematch.

chael also was jucied out of mind and i believe anderson didnt take chael seriouly that why he crushed chael in the rematch.
Anderson was greasing and grabbing shorts worse than conor in the rematch, and chael won the first round clearly. anderson did not knock chael down in the second the dude threw a spinning elbow and tripped. He did not "crush" anyone.

Anderson avoided GSP too. We saw him having the nerve to challenge McGregor, so if he's willing to go down for cash, he should have done so for legacy, had he been a true fighter. At least GSP eventually moved up and finished the dude who beat Silva, Rockhold and Hendo consecutively.

No debate here, GSP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Silva.

conor was calling out everyone who won a fight. conor was never fightign anderson silva.

Anderson was greasing and grabbing shorts worse than conor in the rematch, and chael won the first round clearly. anderson did not knock chael down in the second the dude threw a spinning elbow and tripped. He did not "crush" anyone.

in was at the mgm grand for it anderson at any point wasnt losing the fight. who saying anderson was greasing if never seen chael say that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back