To all of you who support weight cutting and obsess about a "right" weight class...

Nah, fuck that. It would be interesting to see some of the LHW fight as and against HW, but losing WW and below would suck. Generally the fights that don't include the top 10 HW suck comapred to the other weight classes, and I'm not watching MMA to see a bunch of giants swing their fists around until one gets KO'd. Idc if Robbie Lawler would get murdered by most HW in a 'real fight' doesn't mean it'd be fun to watch (although I think Robbie could probably KO some HW)

Nah, fuck that. It would be interesting to see some of the LHW fight as and against HW, but losing WW and below would suck. Generally the fights that don't include the top 10 HW suck comapred to the other weight classes, and I'm not watching MMA to see a bunch of giants swing their fists around until one gets KO'd. Idc if Robbie Lawler would get murdered by most HW in a 'real fight' doesn't mean it'd be fun to watch (although I think Robbie could probably KO some HW)

I'm fine with lower weight classes as long as everybody knows their place.

I hate weight cutting with a passion though.

I have a feeling that you guys who support weight cutting are wrestlers who have this type of cheating in their program and are using insults to keep your mind from thinking about the fact that we who are against it are right.

Weight cutting is cheating. Just because the system is too archaic to stop it, doesn't make it OK.

No, cheating is by definition breaking the set rules so you are dead wrong. If you think you can make up your own rules, without anyone else having to agree to them and claim that others are cheating, then you're making a fool out of yourself.

guys who kickbox and strike only can fare better under those rules if they have great power for their weight which is not unheard of and good speed. crocop saki spong and many more at hw past and present show this. crocop got started in kickboxing hw and moved over to mma... in the hw division. thats where his own comment stems from.

No, cheating is by definition breaking the set rules so you are dead wrong. If you think you can make up your own rules, without anyone else having to agree to them and claim that others are cheating, then you're making a fool out of yourself.

Untraceable roids = the same thing as cutting weight = cheating.

Let's weigh the fighters just before they enter the octagon:)

You will see that weight classes are a joke.

I wonder how long the comission will think it's healthy to allow such dehydration to take place.

I'm not a fan of weight cutting, but I understand the reasoning behind it. Especially in an environment where everyone is doing it. Unless you want to give up 15-25lbs of size on fight night and essentially lose on purpose then you also need to cut weight.

Guys like Big Foot have to cut weight just to get under the ceiling weight for HW. He's in the 285-290 range come fight night.

I'd like to see weight cutting go out the window, but humans are tricky bastards and any rules you put in place will be circumvented to some degree even at substantial health risk to the athletes.

The ban of the IV's will probably force a decent amount of guys to abandon the classes they currently fight in. If everyone stopped cutting massive weight and just fought one weight class up everyone would still be fighting mostly the same guys but everyone will be in better condition to fight not having to endure the cut.

he could have been an amazing 205er, too bad his stubbornness kept him at HW where he got frequently abused by larger opponents.

Says the guy who never actually watched Mirko in his prime. Just keep only watching the UFC and having no idea what you are talking about.

Most of the UFC roster is pretty cowardly, except for Frank Mir.

We need a huge billionaire to finance an overseas tournament with pride like rules and open weight and huge payouts.

i'd be on board in a second lol

on a more serious note, I won't go as far as to say that guys who cut some weight to make a weight class are cowards but a guy who says he is the best but only fights people his own weight is not the best. The best guy is the guy who can beat everybody else.

Since weight classes actually exist, there is more evidence to support that that guy is most likely a heavweight.

physical attributes are a reality. There is no need for this pound for pound nonsense. pound for pound an ant is more powerful than a lion. but it is also irrelevant.

Untraceable roids = the same thing as cutting weight = cheating.

Let's weigh the fighters just before they enter the octagon:)

You will see that weight classes are a joke.

I wonder how long the comission will think it's healthy to allow such dehydration to take place.

Wow. Did you just say that breaking the rules and not getting caught is the same thing as doing something that the rules intentionally allow? Just wow.

They'll probably allow it for a long time since boxing did try to lower it and only managed to achieve a more dangerous situation for the fighters, which is contrary to what the rules are therefor and therefor scrapped.

Weren't you using bigfoots size as an excuse to why fedor lost?

So make up your mind

I'm not a fan of weight cutting, but I understand the reasoning behind it. Especially in an environment where everyone is doing it. Unless you want to give up 15-25lbs of size on fight night and essentially lose on purpose then you also need to cut weight.

Guys like Big Foot have to cut weight just to get under the ceiling weight for HW. He's in the 285-290 range come fight night.

I'd like to see weight cutting go out the window, but humans are tricky bastards and any rules you put in place will be circumvented to some degree even at substantial health risk to the athletes.

265 weight limit is a joke too.

Weight cutting is too.

I'de get rid of both.

I've heard all the lame excuses for both, but I found them all just lazy excuses, easy to overcome.

I've heard all the lame excuses for both, but I found them all just lazy excuses, easy to overcome.

How would you get rid of weight cutting without getting rid of weight classes?

I don't believe there's a legitimate 'safe' way to ban it. People will still try to do it as long as weight classes exist. I don't really like weight cutting but since 99% of fighters in weight classes under HW do it, at this point I really don't care. I would think most guys are cutting similar amounts of weight, and we've seen smalelr weight cutters end up becoming top level fighters in their division. I will say though that guys who obviously cut fuck tons of weight and still just scrape by utilizing strength and size only are typically fighters I don't like to see win.

I hate weight cutting, and really wish MMA would adopt some policies to mitigate it. I get that it is a complicated matter, but surely a few things could be done to help?
The culture of the sport really forces folks to cut massive weight, so I don't blame the athletes for doing it. But so often the fights are as much about who can cut the most weight as fighting skill.

Wow. Did you just say that breaking the rules and not getting caught is the same thing as doing something that the rules intentionally allow? Just wow.

They'll probably allow it for a long time since boxing did try to lower it and only managed to achieve a more dangerous situation for the fighters, which is contrary to what the rules are therefor and therefor scrapped.

Weight cutting is tolerated, because people in charge are stupid enough to think that it's impossible for these cheaters to obey the ban without still trying to cut weight and get themselves killed or something.

Which is of course stupid.

There is no danger, if you enforce the weight cutting ban properly.

I explained it already a million times and my solution is bullet proof.

Why weight cutting is cheating:

Why do you think weight classes were invented? To give smaller guys a chance to compete vs guys closer to their size. The first weight cutter thought to himself. Hmmm weigh ins are early enough for me to cheat the weight class system, by dehydrating and weighing the same as the undehydrated smaller guys. This way I can be 20 pounds bigger than the biggest non cheating fighter in that weight class is going to be.

Weight cutting is cheating of the weight class limits.

Roiding with undetectable PEDs is cheating of drug testing limits:)

You can dance around this all you want, but deep inside you know that weight cutting was invented to cheat the system and is now it has become a neccessery evil, because everybody is doing it. Which makes it stupid. Fighters compete who is going to dehydrate themselves more, to be as big as possible. And you think this isn't dangerous?

Slavery used to be legal too, you know? That didn't make it OK.

Weight cutting is wrong and I want it to be erased from existence.

Back