2x2min rounds fast kicks
2x2 min rds narabahngs

by this point we are all pretty beat, so paddle work

Up and down the mat per person for following techniques:

rear leg roundhouses
axe kicks

Counters:

front leg counters x10 per leg

Sparring + bagwork circuit: we had 4 people, so 2 would spar, one would work back kick technique on the bag, the other would do a freestyle round on the bag, each round was 2 minutes

3 rounds of sparring for everyone 2 rounds of bagwork.

Sparring was with lower belts so i gave them advice as what to work on and tried to work on some new stuff of my own. Sparring with lower belts is good because you can try new strategeies and attacks and footwork that you wouldnt be able to work on as well sparring someone better. Neil is getting very very very good now that i am teaching him to use his height. If he sticks with it he could be a force in collegiate taekwondo.

9-25 Lifting

Me thinks my legs are beat from all the endurance training. After nationals ill lay off and focus on strength for a while.

Squats 1x3 @ 295, 1x5 @ 275, 1x3 @ 295, 1x4 @ 275

Front squats 1x4 @ 225

Dumbell snatches 2x10 per side @ 60lbs

Military press 2x5 @ 135

Pullups 2x15,1x8

Leg raises 3x10 @ 20lbs

9-28, schoolwork is fucking me

AM: jumprope conditioning , 5x2min rds jumprope sprints, alternating high knees, lateral hops, double unders..etc

PM: tkd at mast eugenes

started off

2-10-1 drill

then we attached resistance bands to do bagwork with, a first for me and definatley different, you had to really throw the hips in though...

fast kick 2x10
dollyo chagi 2x10
rear leg fast kick 2x10
narabang (kept gettin tangled up here) 2x10
back kick 2x10

sparring: 3 rounds

round 1 with Joe: joe was my old training partner who had most of last year off with a foot injury, hes also bigger but skilled. We exchanged roundhouses etc, it was a little awkward but good pace

round 2: with junior national champ kid, did better than last week specially with workin on my doubles and i didnt fall into his padachagi's...

round 3: greenbelt paul, paul didnt have a mouth piece so i agreed no headshots, and somehow i ended up back kicking him in the face. Oops :/, he is doing much better though and im glad to see his progress

Synopsis: better than last week, junior champ kid says my doubles are ridiculously fast and i use them good offensivley, but that i should double out of the clinch more, which i agree. He also says i need to use more checks, which i also agree, more simple ones i tend to not think of these things for some reason latley, i usually get an idea of what i want to work on when i spar but i guess school is brainfucking me.

9-29

Liftin

Front squats 4x5 @ 230

Bench 3x4 @ 225 (jumprope yesterday im thinkin weakened me)

Bent over rows/shrugs superset 3x10 @ 185

Dumbell snatches for conditioning : 2x15 per side @ 50lbs

Woodchoppers 4x10 at various resistance

went downstairs to watch paul and his kempo friend spar, figured id jump in, it was hands and feet so i needed that, nothing too hard though, wanted to work my inside game since that was weak, helped them work on theirs as well as putting combos together.. fun times.

9-30 Quick tkd practice...

Some fuckin seminar was in the room...for kendo and it was just me and paul, we worked on some technical stuff

check check, then attack2x20 per side

Padachagi variant out of clinch 2x20 per side

Sparring for about 15 minutes.... pretty light, both of us working on what we needed to incorporate, me being more aggressive because i think it suits me better than being a counter fighter, both of us trying to use more checks and padachagis out of the clinch.

Sunday + monday = off due to work, schoolwork and girlfriend

10/3

tkd with neil.

all rounds 2 minutes with 30 second break

rd 1 and 2 - dollyo chagi with emphasis on technique, throwing it from long range, medium range, and short range, as well as proper checks before hand, and landing in clinch.

rd 3 and 4- any dollyo variant, ie fast kick, rear fast kick, or dollyo chagi, with the same emphases as above, followed by a padachagi out of the clinch

rd 5 and 6- double kicks with emphasis on setups, body to head, etc...

rd 7 and 8- push the bag, then as it swings back (to simulate charging opponent) lead leg cut kick very light to stop the bag in place and fire off a double kick...

a little winded by this point, we went into some quick paddle work

2x10 padachagi to spin hook

2x10 fujin step to head dollyo chagi

2x10 cover punch.

Then to the track: yes i am a masochist

Ladder intervals

1x200
1x400
1x600
1x800
1x600
1x400
1x200 1minute rest in between each. Brutal

Those ladder intervals look like a killer dude, awesome awesome work

thanks bro. So i just found out that if i fight at nationals, red belt... (right below black) is only 3x1minute rounds, which kinda sucks as ive been workin my stamina so hard and i generally am a slow starter. Thus ill have to fight more newb style and very aggressive with less emphasis on counters more emphasis on knocking people out of the ring and constant attack. This i can do and win with because i will generally be faster that all my opponents. I just want my friggin black belt so i can get decent fights. Thankfully if i fight collegiates i am allowed to fight up in rank... We shall see

10/4 Lifting

Front Squats ( i like these as my back doesnt get fucked) 4x5 @ 235

Military press/push press 3x5 @ 135

Weighted pullups bw+45lb, 1x9,2x5

Abs 2x10 woodchoppers per side, 1x10 hanging leg raises

Why not just fight in the dan division regardless of the actual color of your belt?

I cant do that at nationals, i can do that at collegiates

Last thursday

10/5

12x2min rds on bag, since im posting this a while later i forget but i tried to alternate really aggressive rounds and infighting with defense rds

4x1min jumprope sprints and my rope kept gettin fucked up, i was pissed

10/9

Lifting

Front squats 4x6 @ 220

Push press 3x5 @ 140

rafter pullups 3x10

Hanging leg raises 3x10

10/10

Tkd with neil

3x2 min rds on heavy bag, focus on attacking in close and setting up with at least 2 checks for the rounds

paddlework: 2x10 fast kick round kick, making sure to do 2 good checks beforehand

2x10 pada doubles

Sparring:

3x2min rds
2x1 min rds

varied it up, because nationals is 1 minute rds for color belts (gay i know considering i fight bb national champs on a daily basis) so focused alot more on a quicker pace for those, and the 2 minute rds were more normal paced though i had a much more aggressive fighting style today which i think ultimatley suits me better, not 1-2 then out, but 1-2.... etc until the opponent gets out of the way or i feel like not kicking anymore. Didnt really throw any triples but i didnt need to, lots of doubles and counter doubles, single sniper shots followed by punch , roundhouse roundhouse or padachagi out, though neil usualy beats me with those consdiering he is almost a whole foot taller. My checks were good, for some reason my stamina sucked today, maybe it was due to lack of sleep the past few days due to schoolwork and stress.

Conditioning: yes the lack of stamina for some reason today really killed me here

4x1.5min burpee rds

10/12

Finally back to TKd at master eugenes, joe and paul accompanied

started off with a lot of paddle work

2x10 dollyo chagi
2x10 fast kick-round kick
2x10 rear doubles
2x10 fast doubles
2x10 fast kick

Sparring:

3x2 min rds

first two were against joe, i missed sparrin him last year cuz he was injured, i worked more on being aggressive and we had a real good fast paced fight. I worked on incorporating more checks before my attacks and that helped alot and i just kept throwin doubles and whatnot on the inside. I definatley didnt padachagi enough out of the clinch but i landed some nice axe kicks. One round was against doug which i pretty much owned him with alot of hard fucking body kicks, i am definatley better as an aggressive fighter than a counter fighter, and i kicked him in the face a few times. Nationals is gonna be fun and i wanna knock the fuck outta people.

10/13 Liftin

front squats 4x5@235

Bench 4x4@ 225

Bent over rows 4x7@ 185

pullups 1x20

Shrugs 2x10 @ 225

10/14 Tournament

Decided to do one of the local interclub tournaments at my instructors school as a warmup deal... and had mixed feelings

First fight

2x1.5 minute rds, 30second break- Fought Emory, a red belt whose taller than me, he has good heart and aggressiveness, but i wailed on him in april, though he did better this time, i still didnt have too much trouble beating him, used my doubles effectively, he was very aggressive so i kinda kicked myself out. The problem is, this mat is like really slippery so theres alot of footwork that i just couldnt execute....

I had 1minute between this and my next fight, yes 1 minute

another 2x1.5min fight with 30sec breaks against a blackbelt duder. Started off allright we exchanged alot of round kicks but i was drastically fatigued, and though my padachagis were there my offense wasnt so much. I retreated too much, though we duked it out on the inside alot , coudlnt move to well cuz of the mat and my fatigue was getting to me. I did however land some really sweet back kicks in both fights, i landed a jump back kick on this kid out of the clinch and a regular back kick, which he claims hit him in the balls though one of the corner judges said it looked real legit and i just fucked him with it. It was an aggressive fast paced fight, however HE did not have a fight before this, and he was tired after the first round as wel, i was pretty much dyin at this point. I did drop some sweet axe kicks on his face though and one round kick which hit him sqaure in the face though i fell due to the shitty mat so it didnt count. We were both beat at the end, though i thought i won the fight they gave it to him. Kinda sucks, he even thought i beat his ass.

However, though i think i woulda destroyed him if i wasnt tired, im mad that i was tired in spite of the short frame between fights, i think i partied to much in the past few weeks and i need to work that endurance even harder, i fucking hate running out of gas and as a result not b eing able to execute a fight the way i want it to go. That was disgusting to me and i will never let it happen again. No weed or booze till nationals is over. Hard running more often instead.

Good job even though the judges went against you that day. You should have asked for a longer break! LOL @ no weed or booze... IDK if you can make it!!!

Back